Metalworking *spoilers*

Zorak

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not out of place, they're the final item made by Mash :D

And no, no katana/swords, it's not from Hydrocraft (I didn't even knew Hydrocraft had forge tbh :D), it's entirely new and it's kickass :D

The point of this is not to bring huge weapons but furnitures, and usable items (nails, scissors, shovel, etc...), point of the game was never to kill thousands of zombies with swords :D

More metal furniture is coming, I'm thinking about them atm!

12 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

They're not out of place, they're the final item made by Mash :D

And no, no katana/swords, it's not from Hydrocraft (I didn't even knew Hydrocraft had forge tbh :D), it's entirely new and it's kickass :D

The point of this is not to bring huge weapons but furnitures, and usable items (nails, scissors, shovel, etc...), point of the game was never to kill thousands of zombies with swords :D

More metal furniture is coming, I'm thinking about them atm!

Does this mean metal walls because that would be amazing.

Edited by xXSly_WolfyXx

Oh, yes some scrapmetal walls would be nice ^^
And maybe some reinforce doors and a way to make own keys and locks,...
Some metalboxes, barrels, tool parts like hammer heads, knife blades and so,...maybe small metal sculptures from dogs to place in the frontyard,...the possibilities are endless !!!!

1 hour ago, Joshnpk said:

Metal working? This isn't Minecraft it's Zomboid. An average Joe (which is who you are in Zomboid) couldn't set up a working forge in the middle of the deep south, I hope this is a joke or something cause this is honestly stupid and doesn't fit with Zomboid at all.

Some time ago this was exactly the reason indie stone were on the fence about adding a feature like this, when it was quite popularly requested in the suggestions forum..

In my own opinion - I'm perfectly fine with it, as long as everything necessary for metal working is locked away specifically to the profession, while being able to "discover" bits and pieces from journals around the game world.

I also had my own thoughts regarding overly complex professions and item creation, while keeping to the realism of the "average joe" argument, and this one.. Partially fits it. 

5 minutes ago, Joshnpk said:

Metal working? This isn't Minecraft it's Zomboid. An average Joe (which is who you are in Zomboid) couldn't set up a working forge in the middle of the deep south, I hope this is a joke or something cause this is honestly stupid and doesn't fit with Zomboid at all.

I'd tend to agree with this, but IMO metalworks would only be available to a character with the blacksmith trait / job.

And the average joe is quite gone as we have specific profession now, such as the electrician or engineer capable of doing bombs and explosives :)

It's not any character who'll be able to forge, you'll need to have the trait or profession, and if not, find a mighty books about blacksmith and hope it's the one that teach you what you need (there's several new recipes, you could have a book on how to forge metal knives but not how to build a stone furnace to melt metal!)

Metal walls are planned yeah, like the one you see in Alexendira in TWD (in less tall version :D), fences too, metal gates are a good ideas along with the others things you suggested :)

If you think about other suggestion go for it, I'll try to read this thread as soon as I can to gather some cool ideas :D

Reinforce doors/windows is already possible with those metal barricade I tweeted, tho metal sheet to barricade require lot of blacksmith skills! Beginner items are more screws, nails, paperclip, spoon, fork, etc...

High-end blacksmith could forge bullets tho... ;) (but be carefull to gather this quite rare gunpowder!).

Oh also, putting petrol in the metal drums looks like a really good idea! Gonna do that tomorrow :D

Metal drum are here to act as a rain collector barrel (but a big one) and you can also do charcoal in them (with logs, it require lot of time/ressources tho), because the stone furnace need to be run on coal and not logs (to provides more heat)

10 minutes ago, Joshnpk said:

I'm assuming that more professions and traits are coming to choose from. 

Edited by Kelefane

Will the " blacksmith " get better repair options for some tools? Its kinda weird to repair a huntingknife with woodglue,...

oh,.. it would be cool if you need for crafting some items,.. like,.. a shovle,... the shovle head (crafted by the blacksmith)  and wooden shaft (crafted by the carpender)
This would make it harder to get the good metal tools and would make team play necessary ^^

A better blacksmith could craft some pieps for pipebombs.
Or even trap parts for traps that could used by the hunter

and a way to get the metal would be to smeld other metal stuff i think,.. or like ditoseadio said foraging,... 

man, im hyped for this : 3

Edited by Kyel Logen