RELEASED: Vehicle Test 33
27 27

879 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

@Tails: Our car crash aren't like this 'cause Will have specific stories for them ;)

 

Also, anyone still having vehicle teleporting randomly sometimes or is it fixed?

 

I haven't had any issues with teleporting with the latest build.

 

It does seem, however, that the keys on zeds are meant for the cars, but what's actually spawning are house keys. Since I've been watching for them, I have yet to find one car key on a zed I've mercied - but I often find regular keys on zeds in houses that have the cars parked in front of them.

 

For the next build, please take a look at the spawn rate for car keys on zeds - it's a travesty to have so many cars that you really can't repair.

 

Shin

Edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all! New to the fóruns , just want to say , thank FoR the support , and... In the last vehicle build 26.1, the screen turn  black random while driving ,i can't do anything to the save game, just start a new one, ando engine sounds are missing ! Sorry my poor english

 

Ubuntu 16.04 , i5 2400 GTX 970 1gb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Watermel0wned said:

Please...no more useless gimmicks. Focus on the essentials please. I rather have a playable game than a 10fps sh*tshow with great spawn mechanics on car keys.

 

We have two people entirely separate to RJ who are working on things that will improve performance.

 

Three if you count ChrisW's stuff with multi-storey buildings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Watermel0wned said:

Please...no more useless gimmicks. Focus on the essentials please. I rather have a playable game than a 10fps sh*tshow with great spawn mechanics on car keys.

Going to just ask you not to post in this thread anymore, if you're just going to keep doing this . . .

 

This thread is for testing an unstable build of the game. It's not going to be perfect. In fact, it's regularly going to bounce between great and terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to do the manual shifting of the gearbox in the car?
How do I turn on the radio in the car?
The battery weighs 1 kg ... but they are really heavy.
When the heater is turned on in the car, it does not get hot and the battery is not consumed,
just like when the light is on without a running engine, it does not consume the battery in the car. The same applies to the heater.

Edited by Nebula

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Going to just ask you not to post in this thread anymore, if you're just going to keep doing this . . .

 

This thread is for testing an unstable build of the game. It's not going to be perfect. In fact, it's regularly going to bounce between great and terrible.

Enigma, I think you are missing his point..

 

We are all aware that this build is unstable and a work in progress, expecting bugs around every corner. But of course people who haven't been able to play the vehicle branch since Build 19 or whatever due to major lag spikes (such as myself) are going to be a bit concerned when a bunch of people keep posting stuff like "oh RJ please spend tons of time in order to add in this completely pointless feature i saw in a movie because it looks cool instead of solving a core performance issue that has been there for months". It has nothing to do with complaining about the build or the devs, but rather the players trying to push through gimmicks as a priority.

 

Obviously with Batsphinx's comment that is very good to hear, as at least I was under the impression that RJ was the only one dealing with performance in this branch. We can always count on @Batsphinx to make everyone chill out :D No need to get grumpy with people Enigma!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, iwawa said:

Enigma, I think you are missing his point..

. . .

No, this thread isn't here to boss the devs around and to make them feel like shit.


So keep it to feedback (it's totally fine to talk about the performance of the build) or just don't post / play these builds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found out that there's a rather misleading issue with the new Car Keys spawning.

 

It's not that keys are spawning less, is that we just DON'T SEE THEM.

 

7 out of 10 cars are now spawning with keys inside. However, unless you click the little Key icon in the new dash (which puts the key in, but doesn't start it), it still only shows the Hotwiring option, and you can even hotwire a car with a key by accident because of this.

 

The system works good; the only thing we need is something to make it more visible...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we get a "special" vehicle or two which are specialized to haul bodies? Like the ambulance or the large box trucks? I try to stack up a bunch of bodies for burning, and it'd be nice to use a vehicle that can carry more than a couple of bodies in it. Then I can just drive down the street and load up the back with corpses for disposal. 

 

Kind of like this:

 

Spoiler

 

 

Shin

Edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm playing the vehicles build for a few weaks now and wanted to give some feedback.

 

I really love the look and feel (except the sewing machine sound, that's awful, sorry :P) and the new possibilities they bring to the game.

They really fit into the gameworld and look great (not too big, imo). Their interactions with lightsources are really beautiful!

 

What I noticed:

Brakes seem to have not much purpose at the moment. Even if I fit "old Brakes" onto my strong Pickup, I never have to brake on a highway. Lifting the finger is enough to get down from speed in almost all cases. I think cars shouldn't be losing speed that fast without braking. They shouldn't roll endlessly neither, but at the moment they lose their momentum way too fast. Also, having to break more often could also emphasize the awesome bullet physics, which I rarely recognize at the moment (only if I do ridiculous turning manoeuvres at high speeds).

 

Some things aren't self-explanatory or intuitive enough to me: 

 

What about air pressure of tires? Does it have an impact on driving behaviour or does it only affect tires when beneath 5.0 (they seems to fall off while driving then?) -  I have no real clue. Don't know how to improve that, though.

 

A key in the ignition should be more obvious. Maybe the color of the dashboard icon should signal an inserted key. I've also thought about having a small inventory (like the glove box) for the ignition (only fits car keys..) which would possibly be an improvement for Multiplayer, too (shared car? let the key in the ignition / personal car? take the key). But I can imagine you discussed that internally already.

 

Someone wrote about hotwiring. After more than two month of car survival I didn't even know that's already an option.

 

Something about erosion:

The small, freshly spawned trees (these little buggers, that start to appear everywhere after a few weeks ingame) are a problem. I know you are reworking solid objects already, so please think about very young trees, too. They are hardly visible sometimes and should be at least a bit flexible. So maybe slow down cars on them but not make them an absolute stopping force. A real sappling needs one or two years till it could stop a car, i assume.

Also: Some bushes seem to be obstacles, others are not. I can't perceive a difference, it's try and error.

 

A (potential) bug I found:

I have a car with a broken lock on one door. If I take a pristine door from another car and install that, the broken lock persists. If I install the formerly broken door on another car it works flawlessly.

 

That's it so far. I love vehicles so much, I coulnd't play without them again. :wub:

Edited by Leoquent
a word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Leoquent said:

I'm playing the vehicles build for a few weaks now and wanted to give some feedback.

 

I really love the look and feel (except the sewing machine sound, that's awful, sorry :P) and the new possibilities they bring to the game.

They really fit into the gameworld and look great (not too big, imo). Their interactions with lightsources are really beautiful!

 

What I noticed:

Brakes seem to have not much purpose at the moment. Even if I fit "old Brakes" onto my strong Pickup, I never have to brake on a highway. Lifting the finger is enough to get down from speed in almost all cases. I think cars shouldn't be losing speed that fast without braking. They shouldn't roll endlessly neither, but at the moment they lose their momentum way too fast. Also, having to break more often could also emphasize the awesome bullet physics, which I rarely recognize at the moment (only if I do ridiculous turning manoeuvres at high speeds).

 

Agreed - vehicle friction seems to be a bit to high after you are already moving. You come to a stop far too easily without having to brake.

 

12 minutes ago, Leoquent said:

Some things aren't self-explanatory or intuitive enough to me: 

 

What about air pressure of tires? Does it have an impact on driving behaviour or does it only affect tires when beneath 5.0 (they seems to fall off while driving then?) -  I have no real clue. Don't know how to improve that, though.

 

In previous builds, I noticed that when my tire pressure got too low, I'd start sliding around corners, and overall had a much more difficult time controlling the car.

 

12 minutes ago, Leoquent said:

A key in the ignition should be more obvious. Maybe the color of the dashboard icon should signal an inserted key. I've also thought about having a small inventory (like the glove box) for the ignition (only fits car keys..) which would possibly be an improvement for Multiplayer, too (shared car? let the key in the ignition / personal car? take the key). But I can imagine you discussed that internally already.

 

The dashboard key icon shows a green key when it has a key inserted - or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

 

12 minutes ago, Leoquent said:

Something about erosion:

The small, freshly spawned trees (these little buggers, that start to appear everywhere after a few weeks ingame) are a problem. I know you are reworking solid objects already, so please think about very young trees, too. They are hardly visible sometimes and should be at least a bit flexible. So maybe slow down cars on them but not make them an absolute stopping force. A real sappling needs one or two years till it could stop a car, i assume.

Also: Some bushes seem to be obstacles, others are not. I can't perceive a difference, it's try and error.

 

 

Also agree that saplings shouldn't stop cars (it'd be cool if when you hit a tree fast enough, it'd actually cut it down...)

 

Shin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's actually interesting to hear that you slide more with less air in your tires, because in real life, the effect is the exact opposite.

 

People take air out of their tires to increase traction at the expense of increased wear especially on the circuit. The "optimal" PSI for tires is a healthy balance of traction and wear without the risk of bursting.

 

If this is actually an effect of having less air that should probably be addressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Key in ignition: this is quite hard to represent, but I thought with the new dashboard it'll should be ok? You can let the key on the ignition so people can share car easily...

 

I thought about lighting the dashboard if key are in (not sure it does that on 90' cars tho) but then it'll mean I'll need to drain bit of battery, and it'll kinda ruin the concept of being able to easily share cars...

 

Re inflation: I need to check Bullet code to see exactly what it does, can't remember exactly...

 

Now onto decelerating without breaking, I try to did it back then but the car feel weird, i need to implement a real "engine braking" gonna thought about it...

Though, should I nerf brake a tad? On all cars or on some specific?

Thing being, idk exactly how people drive in PZ... I usually go quite fast in town or highway (quite fun as i'm a sloooooow driver irl.. :p) so brakes are really important to me.. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess what I'm noticing is one of two possible things:

 

1) Keys are in the dashboard, but the key icon is unlit (gray, not green). If so, that should be changed so it's always green when a key is in the ignition.

2) Keys are spawning when you click on the key icon - but they aren't originally in the ignition.

 

After Blake81 made his post, I started climbing in to cars to check the ignitions. So far, on every car I've found where the key icon was gray, if I press 'E' I get the message "I don't have the key for this!". But if I click on the icon, it turns green, the car starts, and I now have a key to the car.

 

This might be just a display bug - or, I'm just being dense and doing it wrong :D

 

Shin

 

171122-PZCarKeys-01.jpg171122-PZCarKeys-02.jpg

Edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

Key in ignition: this is quite hard to represent, but I thought with the new dashboard it'll should be ok? You can let the key on the ignition so people can share car easily...

 

I thought about lighting the dashboard if key are in (not sure it does that on 90' cars tho) but then it'll mean I'll need to drain bit of battery, and it'll kinda ruin the concept of being able to easily share cars...

 

Like Shin said at the moment every car seems to have a key in the ignition (Tooltext always says "keys in Ignition"). Maybe make the key symbol yellow if a key is present (grey if there is no key) and green if the ignition is on. At the moment im always looking for the tooltip, which feels a bit cumbersome. Ideally a glance at the symbol should be enough to know.

 

Additional question: how do I let the key in / take a key from the ignition to allow/prevent others from driving? That's not really clear to me.

 

Now onto decelerating without breaking, I try to did it back then but the car feel weird, i need to implement a real "engine braking" gonna thought about it...

Though, should I nerf brake a tad? On all cars or on some specific?

Thing being, idk exactly how people drive in PZ... I usually go quite fast in town or highway (quite fun as i'm a sloooooow driver irl.. :p) so brakes are really important to me.. :D

 

It already feels like there is a very strong "engine braking" present at the moment, and it feels way too strong to me. I don't know how the different brakes perform because I don't really have to use them right now.

In my opinion a car shouldn't decelerate as much as it does at the moment if I lift my finger from the forward-key. Engine-brake (which I use a lot irl), especially in higher gears is far less effective. I think driving would be more fun if I would have to brake sometimes for turns or zombies on the road. At the moment I just lift my finger and after very few meters the car is already slow enough to take whatever turn without problems.

 

So, my message in short: Reduce engine brake - active braking becomes a thing - then we can talk about balancing brake-effectiveness between the different kinds of brakes.

 

The icing on the cake would be if cars would become somewhat unstable when breaking strongly at high speeds (no ABS back then) or when turning shortly before braking (load changes) etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Leoquent said:

 

Additional question: how do I let the key in / take a key from the ignition to allow/prevent others from driving? That's not really clear to me.

 

Just left click on the key icon to insert/remove the key from the ignition. Assuming it's the same mechanic in MP as in SP...

 

And I agree with the cars becoming unstable!

 

Edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keys:

Yeah, I'd just forgo the real-world "key in the ignition drains the battery" thing, unless the icon is going to be changed to indicate this better (and possibly include a buzzer sound when the door is opened). 

 

Keys could also be placed in the glovebox .etc. So the ignition itself doesn't necessarily have to be in play. Maybe it'd be better to treat the icon as "key present [in the car]" instead of in the ignition itself? Grey == no key, Yellow == In the car , Green == In the ignition.

 

Gets more confusing if you want to indicate the player has the key in their inventory somehow . . . 

 

Engine braking:

Personally, I really preferred the builds of the game where the car coasted for a very long time, at speed. You basically just set the throttle to the correct speed and could just focus on other things than mashing the W key down. Felt better, though I understand others didn't like it.

 

Right now, I'd just reduce the slowdown by at least half. You stop faster than you brake by releasing the W key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange, I could swear I tried right clicking on the key and got no options at all yesterday. Will try again tonight, thanks.

 

Edit: Um left clicking simply starts the ignition I thought. It's all a bit confusing because of the replicating keys, i guess.

Edited by Leoquent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Leoquent said:

Strange, I could swear I tried right clicking on the key and got no options at all yesterday. Will try again tonight, thanks.

 

Edit: Um left clicking simply starts the ignition I thought. It's all a bit confusing because of the replicating keys, i guess.

 

I had to go back and test it further :D

 

1) Remove all keys and keyring from your inventory (I dropped mine on the ground a couple of tiles away.)

2) Enter car. Note gray key icon.

3) Left-click gray key icon, and it turns green. The engine does not start. (Click on the engine icon to start.)

4) Left-click green key icon, the icon turns gray and a key is dropped into your inventory.

5) Dispose of this key

6) Perform steps 2 and 3 again. Since another key is dropped into your inventory, it tells me that clicking on the key icon is creating keys.

 

Successful test! Two questions answered! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Leoquent said:

The icing on the cake would be if cars would become somewhat unstable when breaking strongly at high speeds (no ABS back then) or when turning shortly before braking (load changes) etc..

This isn't true at all.

 

Anti-lock brakes, or "anti skid" have been in cars since the 80s and were definitely commonplace by the 90s. I'm sure any quick google search could further corroborate this. One of the first cars I ever rode in was a mid-80s Volvo wagon that had ABS, and good stopping power at that despite being a back-heavy vehicle. 

 

---

 

@RobertJohnson

 

It sounds like what the people here could make some use out of a cruise-control feature, where you can let off the gas and the car will remain at the same speed. This has worked in a few other driving games as a toggle option. 

 

I think that allowing the cars to also still use the realistic approach of rolling for a while has some mechanical application as the car isn't going to be as loud when it's coasting by. When I used to be into bikes people would commonly let off the throttle to avoid blasting kids on the sidewalk with sounds. The same effect would apply to cars.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
27 27