RELEASED: Build 29.4

RobertJohnson

I'd sure like to see Desura's Zomboid version updated to 29.

Build 29 is currently only out as an unstable test version, as the thread's title and first post indicate. There's no chance of it being on Desura as long as that is the case.

I'd still like to see it on Desura. I'd love to try out the raw 29 version. I'm sorry to hear that there is no chance of that happening.

I'd still like to see it on Desura. I'd love to try out the raw 29 version. I'm sorry to hear that there is no chance of that happening.

You can get your Steam key here, if you'd like: http://www.desura.com/games/project-zomboid/keys there's no need to repurchase the game, or anything. You only need to activate the key on the Steam client, download it, then never look at Steam again (until you want an update).

No risk, no benefit to Valve .etc

If I might make a suggestion?

Separate branches into two distinct items. Sturdy Branches and Broken Branches. Sturdy branches would be hard to come by but make great axe handles. Broken branches would be incredibly common, with scavenge attempts and felled trees yielding a dozen or so per attempt (at first, the area will need time to replenish them after a while same as all the other items). The broken branches can't be used to build anything, but instead make for excellent burnable material in campfires.

It would certainly address a lot of the dissonance players seem to be having with branch drop rates.

I'm looking atm at the rng, and trying to get why we have more stones than branches, will prob change the random alg or something...

Will keep you up to date :)

Just to be sure, you have more twigs/stone than branches ? Like a LOT more ?

if my twigs were branches id cut down a forest.

Suomiboi - Levelling right now is not easy. All of the Agility skills take a long time to get to level 1, let alone anywhere near level 3. The Blunt and Blade skills as well would only get to level 2 after a very long play time. That's only 2/5 levels. The highest level needs to be achievable without playing the save file for 500 hours otherwise there's no point.

Suomiboi - Levelling right now is not easy. All of the Agility skills take a long time to get to level 1, let alone anywhere near level 3. The Blunt and Blade skills as well would only get to level 2 after a very long play time. That's only 2/5 levels. The highest level needs to be achievable without playing the save file for 500 hours otherwise there's no point.

There really is a point. There's nothing wrong with long term goals, and you don't need to think in terms of "my character deserves to be level 5 of everything!" They're trying to move away from that. It's fine as is.

I'm enjoying the melee upgrade. A few things I've noticed about it after 5 minutes:

- The frying pan now makes you exhausted, it wouldn't before

- If exhausted, you can't knock a zombie down (or maybe just a low %?)

I like it! I used to be able to run through solo zombies really quick. This makes them more deadly!

Well it take a bit to long to lvl up skills like meele, guns etc that dont have a skill books. IF rifle is Isabel with aiming lvl 4-5 than its useless and waste od time to code it. Ang od you ever nad lvl 4-5 aiming, running or meele skills ? My best charakter after 3-4 ingame months nad 2,5 - 3 lvl max.

If we take weapons as an example it would be great to have them all usable with lvl 2-3 at max and lvl 4-5 would give some bonus perks Mike you can walk and shoot etc.

I'm enjoying the melee upgrade. A few things I've noticed about it after 5 minutes:

- The frying pan now makes you exhausted, it wouldn't before

- If exhausted, you can't knock a zombie down (or maybe just a low %?)

I like it! I used to be able to run through solo zombies really quick. This makes them more deadly!

Aye, frying pan use endurance, trust me or not, but I tried.. Well, on a tree with a old frying pan, I wasn't really exhausted, but you have your arm weaker after a few it's, because you have a lot of resistance with the size of the frying pan. The rolling pin/golf club etc. take less endurance each hit.

And yup, if exhausted you'll have less chance to knock down, you still have chance (depend on the weapon, some are more effective to knock down than other)

Feedback

1) I like the new melee. It doesn't always knock them down and much harder when exhausted. Makes me way more cautious, especially with groups.

2) The eating sound effect is a little loud imo. I don't think I can generally hear people eating unless its a bag of chips or something like that.

3) Ambient sounds are great...got me nervous hearing a few of them.

4) Water sound effect is pretty nice with the facet turn sound and trickling water. NOTE: it does the sound effect on rain barrels too, but I just pretend they have a tap. :)

5) Dead Zombies don't turn a different color/shade now. Makes me wonder if they are getting back up. :)

Still exploring the rest. Going to start a new game to see how hard it feels now. Very nice update overall so far. :)

I have a small feedback set:

The melee overhaul has had a noticeable difficulty change and in my opinion for the better. 3 zombies now seem like a small threat if you don't have an axe.

On the new sounds. They're great! But they are as mentioned quite repetitive. Even more than that, they're too loud in contrast to the other sounds. (mainly eating, storing/lootng, zipper and water) This makes them pop out and become more noticeable and therefore more annoying at a certain point. I'd drop them 2-4dB, so about 1/4, 1/3 of a drop to the volume. Especially the zipper sound because it's so high in pitch.

The foot steps however are so good that I don't pay attention to them at all! However, they don't work on all tiles. For example inside the south tavern in Muldraugh, the pavement sound is played instead of the wood floor. It does work on the exterior tiles in the building. Oh, and the panic heartbeat works beautifully! Very atmospheric!

After testing the foraging, I'm still on the grounds that the items should spawn in the floor container instead of your inventory. Or some other more clever method...

That's about it for now. Thanks again for a great update!! :)

In a new build you cant saw logs on the ground. You need to have them in equipment just like im the old builds.

Sounds are great.

The meele upgrade are cool but now you need more time to lvl them up.

Noticed that you can't saw logs on the ground as well - just curious, will this feature be back at some stage?