RELEASED: Build 29.4

RobertJohnson

Well I guess until some of the negative traits are alittle more....well negative, mostly like the ones dealing with your moods, it just seems the strong perk makes it a bit easy, but what about stout it that like half the ratings as strong as. For effects I mean since it is 4 Compared to 6?

Have the advantage gained from levelling reduced if it needs to be - but make it so that the player actually sees a difference in their skill as they go along; even if it is small. Right now it takes hours to level an agility skill, with the player suddenly getting a BIG boost in their abilities when they do so. The scale isn't right at all right now for some skills, whereas its fine for others. It's not about giving players ultimate power, its about creating a levelling system that's actually enjoyable, and gives small boosts, not one that's an impossible grind to becoming a running God.

I have a very good feeling that you can gain 2-3 levels in sprinting within 4 in-day games . . . It's not uncommong to have something like 20 unspent skillpoints at the end of the week and effectively be a combat/running god. If anything, it needs to be neutered severely to be both realistic and fun -- there's little point developing your character long term, if in a few hours of play, you're effectively God.

Just imagine if I could do that in real life. Not . . . not that I can't. Oh dammit, now they know.

EG what is your secret to getting the sprint up that fast?  Movement skills are the slowest to level for me.  Only thing I grind on is construction, so as to build rain barrels.

RELEASED Hotfix #1

[NEW STUFF]

• Bring the last update which we forgot to add ;)
  • Use a new Random Number Generation (RNG) algorythm, should bring better result in foraging.

[bUG FIX]

Impressive, thanks

You'll be able to find poisonous stuff, and yes it's a timed action available only in forest :)

You can also make a wooden lance and fish with it (really poor chance compare to a fishing pole tho)

equipped lance as primary, right clicked on water, fishing showed up, but i was not able to click on it to activate fishing actions

So maybe this belongs in bug reports, don't have all the required details yet soooo. When I build log walls my ripped sheets are not being consumed if I have 4 or less of them. If I have a whack of em in my inventory they get used up until I have 4 or less and then I can happily build log walls forever without concern. They still get used up crafting hammers and axes. When I get home I will duplicate the error and try to post with more details.  Anyone else having this issue?

Sorry double post

This area is more likely a vegitation area than a forest, you're right in the middle of the town :)

IMO I think you should be able to forage everywhere. I live in a major metropolitan area, but I'm lucky enough to have a few trees on my small plot of land. My dog manages to finds branches and twigs to chew on almost every day. And I am still picking stones out of my yard after having lived here for over a year! My point is that even in a densely urban area, trees still drop branches and twigs, and there are still stones in the ground.

Heck, I would go as far as to say you should be able to forage those little garbage sprites you see for useful items. In RL finding a water bottle will not be hard. I just picked one up off my curb today that someone littered.

One of the most common yard "weeds" in existence, the humble dandelion, is an excellent source of nutrition. Flower, leaf, stem, and root. It's all edible.

Well, relatively speaking it's a horrible source of nutrition- the main benefit is that it's *something*. :P Would be nice to have as a foraging option maybe in the city areas some times of year. (For the record, 1 cup of dandelion greens is only 25 calories- you'd need to eat around 80 cups a day to sustain yourself comfortably)

Overall I'm not sure it'd be good to add too many more easy sources of food, though, or you risk breaking the difficulty curve of the game (worse).

Have the advantage gained from levelling reduced if it needs to be - but make it so that the player actually sees a difference in their skill as they go along; even if it is small. Right now it takes hours to level an agility skill, with the player suddenly getting a BIG boost in their abilities when they do so. The scale isn't right at all right now for some skills, whereas its fine for others. It's not about giving players ultimate power, its about creating a levelling system that's actually enjoyable, and gives small boosts, not one that's an impossible grind to becoming a running God.

I like the idea of having skills progress in a linear fashion instead of jumping to levels.

If I spend a week in RL running every single day. I will see a very marginal increase in my ability to run (whether that's speed or distance). However, there will be an improvement. If I spend a month, I might make some measurable improvement. If I stick with it for a year then I might actually be a decent runner.

There isn't any big jumps in skill in RL, but I think this is a solution to using the points system, so I guess I'm ok with it.

IMHO I think the physical skills should take a long time to improve in game. If you spent a week in RL sprinting around, all you would end up with is a lot of burned calories and not a lot of time for your character to heal/grow muscle tissue. Ever play sports in school or outside of school? Those first weeks of conditioning just leave you with sore muscles and a constant aching. After a few weeks of this you can actually move around without the constant soreness and stiffness.

Think of yourself, and be honest, how quickly do you think you could mold yourself into a prime level 5 athlete at level 5 sprinting and agility? Seriously? Do you think you could be playing in the NFL or the UEFA in a month? a year? 3 years? I'll be candid. I am 32 years old and I would be considered to be in relatively good shape (for my age). I have a proper BMI and lack any sort of beer gut. However, my dreams of being an extreme parkour runner are over. The time and effort that it would take to develop and grow my body into the shape it needs to be in just isn't worth it for me anymore.

How many lazy, out of shape, computer screened frazzled, haven't walked a mile in over year of us are out there? So many people would pull muscles, twist ankles, sprain joints, etc trying to run around in the first week because they are in worse shape than they think. I am willing to bet that 99% of the people on this forum (myself included) couldn't run for an hour straight if their live depended on it.

TL;DR So in short, I like that it takes a long long time to get your physical skills up, just as it would in RL.

Perhaps there could be an athlete profession or an athletic trait that helps build your physical skills faster?

One of the most common yard "weeds" in existence, the humble dandelion, is an excellent source of nutrition. Flower, leaf, stem, and root. It's all edible.

Well, relatively speaking it's a horrible source of nutrition- the main benefit is that it's *something*. :P Would be nice to have as a foraging option maybe in the city areas some times of year. (For the record, 1 cup of dandelion greens is only 25 calories- you'd need to eat around 80 cups a day to sustain yourself comfortably)

It does have a fair share of vitamins and minerals in it, though, so it's a good addition to your diet despite it's lack of caloric energy. That one cup contains all the vitamin A you need and 32% of the vitamin C you need, as well as trace amounts of a lot of other things that'll help keep you going.

Overall I'm not sure it'd be good to add too many more easy sources of food, though, or you risk breaking the difficulty curve of the game (worse).

I don't think this is an issue. Acquiring food is only a part of the problem of survival. I say add as many different potential sources of food as you want, so long as things are balanced out by other factors in the long run. Wild game like rabbits or fish can be depleted and need time to replenish in number. Crops and animals need to be fenced in and protected from zombies and fellow survivors looking for an easy meal. Fertile land can be depleted and need time to lay fallow so it can recover, or fertilized if you can't let it sit idle. Animals you'd acquire would need to have a huge field to graze in or they risk destroying the sod and starving. Improperly stored food can spoil and the resources to preserve it at all are hard to come by.

Once you've established your character, getting food should be relatively easy. Keeping it should be the difficult part. There are a thousand different ways you could balance the issue of having too much food. Limiting ourselves to only a few different methods adds nothing when there's so much extra potential for having multiple different ways to make your living. I, for one, would love to play a nomadic survivor with a bow and a tent, roaming through the woods and hunting whatever game he might find. Supplementing his diet with whatever foraged plants he comes across. Always picking up stakes and moving on when the local food sources run out.

@ CaptKaspar While I do agree with you on the slow but steady progression of physical skills. I would argue, that in such a situation as a zombie apocalypse, the survivors brain would be pumping out glorious cocktails of neurotransmitters that would allow for the pushing of the body beyond it's physical limitations. Running to get healthy is one thing, running for your goddamn life is a completely different matter. And, certainly, after a while all of that cortisol and norephinephrine would start to have a very negative impact on the body. But, I'd wager one would have enough time to adjust their physical condition to where the amount of stress hormones needed is reduced as the survivor starts coping and adjusting the the uber stressful situation they're in.

Unfortunately Gerbil, regardless of adrenaline fueled activities, muscles can only grow at a certain, set rate. It's not actually possible to push "beyond your limits" from a purely scientific standpoint- you can maybe access reserves of strength or speed by engaging in anaerobic respiration for a time, but that won't help your actual skill/tolerance levels and may even be detrimental to them after a time.

Unfortunately Gerbil, regardless of adrenaline fueled activities, muscles can only grow at a certain, set rate. It's not actually possible to push "beyond your limits" from a purely scientific standpoint- you can maybe access reserves of strength or speed by engaging in anaerobic respiration for a time, but that won't help your actual skill/tolerance levels and may even be detrimental to them after a time.

I've made a specific thread for this conversation to continue instead of derailing this thread further. :)

I want to leave some feedback on build 29 MultiPlayer

So far I have tried it on 3 different servers, I`m hosting one of them. There have been the same 2 issues on these servers.

1) Lag spikes, that go up to 50 000 ping. As a consequence lag kills. Ping limit kicks approx. twice an hour. Pretty close to unplayble

2) Players get stuck in the game: after being kicked for high ping, the player still appears in the player list. This player cant be kicked by the admin, and the player himself cant connect, because the game says he is already logged in. It might go away after some time (not tested) but it goes away from restarting the server (tested several times)

While 2) isn`t a big deal, 1) makes me think of going back to 28 and I cant do that, cuz I just cant live without a stonehammer anymore )))

All the scavenging items - awesome! there are just some solutions missing and you could go to live in the woods straight away (saw? wooden nails? solution for collecting water without rain collectors {like in NeoScavenger}?)

Also the new sounds make it much more realistic!

Good work, respect!

Where are you from Hamu, and what server do you try ?

I'll have a look on this.

For the water thing, I need to see if KY river could be drinked, maybe boiled first (like Neo Scavenger as you said) need to check with the team first :)

I am from Russia, Moscow

I have tried the following servers

1) Earth 2 (rented server in GER) - All the bugs above mentioned confirmed by players from UK and NA

I can see through the user log that players try to connect and are denied

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10497-earth-2-server-eupverestricted-pvpbuild-29events/page-2

2) Evil dead public server. Players reported the same problems with lag spikes, but it was less

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7192-evil-dead-pz-server-build-29hardcorerppvppveonline247whitelisteduk/page-1

3) I also tried on a private server I host, same issue (Server location France)

I see now that there some other public servers which run build 29 alredy. I`ll test around and post here.

Ohhh it would be so cool if there would be any other way to gather water.

As for me, I dont live in the city anymore. On public servers its a pain to have a base in the city. Its not that people loot it out, its that they burn down ur base or sledgehammer it. But before going to live in the woods I need to find Carp1 and 2 Books, to saw myself up to the lvl 2 rain collector. Not that it doesnt work, but its not that realistic. In RL i would just leave cooking pots outside when it rains to collect water. Drinking from the river would be great....if you living in WP, but as for Muldraugh, it doesnt solve my problem. Thanx for the feed back and the new Wall of Logs looks great!