RELEASED: Build 29.4

RobertJohnson

And Lockable Doors/Loot containers, to stop that hoarder going round and stealing everyones ammo.

They may have taken away my frying-pan-axe to cut down trees, but it dosent matter, even if you lock down your door, i will pan the crap out of that door to loot all your stuff.

Especially your spiffo you hid behind that corner.

But, for MP purposes. You should be able to have some sort of lockable containers/doors to stop people emptying your house whilst your offline.

Yet, they can be broken into, and if they are broken into a message is sent to the server or something, so that if someone is looting peoples safehouses and ruining the game, the can be caught.

And Lockable Doors/Loot containers, to stop that hoarder going round and stealing everyones ammo.

They may have taken away my frying-pan-axe to cut down trees, but it dosent matter, even if you lock down your door, i will pan the crap out of that door to loot all your stuff.

Especially your spiffo you hid behind that corner.

But, for MP purposes. You should be able to have some sort of lockable containers/doors to stop people emptying your house whilst your offline.

Yet, they can be broken into, and if they are broken into a message is sent to the server or something, so that if someone is looting peoples safehouses and ruining the game, the can be caught.

Looting a safehouse is not ruining the game, is part of the game to survive. That is why i said, if you lock a door and i am starving, i am sure as hell going to take down that door to see if someone has hid some stuff to eat.

It should be an option to lock the door, but it must remain in-game, not a metagame where if you open it or destroy the door the server will say that you looted the house.

You really think someone when is dying is going to say: "oh geez a locked door/container, better leave that alone cause i am sure that is not looted", i seen people burn down houses and walls cause they wanted to get insde a place, i am sure a crowbar would work the same for a container.

You could lock the door, and when someone is breaking down the door, be ready to take that guy out, atleast it gives you a heads up.

You'll be able to find poisonous stuff, and yes it's a timed action available only in forest :)

You can also make a wooden lance and fish with it (really poor chance compare to a fishing pole tho)

I should think scavenging be available anywhere there happens to be an abundance of plants. The dandelion is one of the most common lawn weeds in existence and the entire thing is edible, root and all. And you mustn't forget that crops attract lots of bugs. Got bugs eating your crops? Why, pick them off and you've got yourself some protein!

You'll be able to find poisonous stuff, and yes it's a timed action available only in forest :)

You can also make a wooden lance and fish with it (really poor chance compare to a fishing pole tho)

I should think scavenging be available anywhere there happens to be an abundance of plants. The dandelion is one of the most common lawn weeds in existence and the entire thing is edible, root and all. And you mustn't forget that crops attract lots of bugs. Got bugs eating your crops? Why, pick them off and you've got yourself some protein!

Here the thing again  (man how i love to disscus stuff here), we are playing the average joe in this game, and i am  90% people wouldnt think about eating insects until is the very very last resort, and you would need to eat 100 grams of crickets to gain 120 calories, most people wont dare to eat them uncook.

Now imagine how a player will see insects, it would be the same thing like if canibalism was in the game, they would see NPCs as a quick meal in case they didnt find something to eat and they are peckish.

It should have a very big downside to eat bugs, like unhappiness, a very large amount of unhappiness per bug, so at the end of your meal you would end up in the edge of derepssion and still a bit hungry.

Is like the people who think they have a plan cause they will hunt rabbits and eat meat while eating plants or bugs, this would lead to something called fat-hunger, you would die cause you are not getting any fat from anything that you eat.

Also depression should play a bigger role in this kind of stuff when it comes down to food, but i think lemmy has a plan for that.

I'd honestly rather see the scavenging skill spawning stuff on the ground around you instead of being a timed action. That's a really weird way to do it compared to reality , where you would only pick up what you want. Couldn't you make stuff spawn on tiles near the player and give them the choice of what you want? Then simplify the xp gain to the first time you pick up any specific scavenging item.

Yeah now i know what you mean, but i think it should be a timed action first, making the character "look around", then when the timed action ends, in the floor inventory you see the stuff you found and then you decide what to pick up.

Eh, average Joe argument might as well be retired at this point, unless it's backed by the developers: it doesn't seem likely the average Joe would build a hammer from a rock/branch/twine, or merge logs and rope-like objects into a house, or be any good at scavenging in the wild at all (even field greens), .etc

*shrug* That's the trouble with dealing with something as unquantifiable as "average."

s like the people who think they have a plan cause they will hunt rabbits and eat meat while eating plants or bugs, this would lead to something called fat-hunger, you would die cause you are not getting any fat from anything that you eat.

So long as you're consuming sufficient numbers of calories, you should be quite capable of generating this fat yourself, but I've not heard of anyone dying (or theorizing they could die) from a lack of fat in their diet.

Yeah now i know what you mean, but i think it should be a timed action first, making the character "look around", then when the timed action ends, in the floor inventory you see the stuff you found and then you decide what to pick up.

Why not both? Harder, rarer, better goods take an action to find (or require a high level to nullify the need of the right-click scavenge utility), while common stuff is automagic.

Aye, fat hunger isn't really a problem for people who aren't essentially starving already. I subsume the wild rabbits here frequently and they're actually fairly fatty, even in the colder months. I'd see people eating insects a good bit before resorting to cannibalism. Even a bit of hunger is a good motivator for that, and while they taste a bit "icky," it doesn't have the same stigma as cannibalism. But that's a conversation for another thread (from the past) anyways. :P

Aye, fat hunger isn't really a problem for people who aren't essentially starving already. I subsume the wild rabbits here frequently and they're actually fairly fatty, even in the colder months. I'd see people eating insects a good bit before resorting to cannibalism. Even a bit of hunger is a good motivator for that, and while they taste a bit "icky," it doesn't have the same stigma as cannibalism. But that's a conversation for another thread (from the past) anyways. :P

I guess that true, i just dont want to see people eating bugs the first minute they spawn in cause they dont feel like looting today, i mean eating them raw should have a consequence.

Same thing a dev said something about cannibalism, your character is going to see a human begin that right now is your best buddy in the whole world. 

Meanwhile the player is going to see the NPC as a quick meal if he dosent feel like going to the supermarker loot-a-ton.

Turbo is working on Erosion, so better ask him ;)

As for insect yup, you'll have to cook them, they are dangerous non cooked.

So, I don't know about the average joe, but I think in term of survivalism, I think I'm one of them, and I think like lot of other people I saw some Bear Grylls stuff, I know eating insect is required if you have nothing, don't take scavenging like "don't wanna loot today, gonna scavenge quickly" no, it's an urgency tool, if you have nothing else, go scavenge, but keep search for better stuff, the food you find by scavenging (it'll require balance tho) is really poor, most of them are 1-3 hunger reduction, you could probably live for some times in the forest, but after a while, you'll need better stuff.. Also scavenging make noise, forest zombies are one of the biggest threat, and you don't have water..

Insects are perfectly fine to eat raw, or rather most of them are. If I was gonna eat a slug or a snail I'd still rather cook it first. The smaller insects like ants and grubs and crickets might not be worth the effort it would take to cook them and would probably be better off eating them as you catch them.  Bigger ones like beetles, grasshoppers or praying mantis might make for good grilling, though.

Don't take scavenging like "don't wanna loot today, gonna scavenge quickly" no, it's an urgency tool, if you have nothing else, go scavenge, but keep search for better stuff, the food you find by scavenging (it'll require balance tho) is really poor, most of them are 1-3 hunger reduction, 

I really hope you guys can balance it in such a way is really a last resort kind of tool, thanks for the answers!

I guess that true, i just dont want to see people eating bugs the first minute they spawn in cause they dont feel like looting today, i mean eating them raw should have a consequence.

Same thing a dev said something about cannibalism, your character is going to see a human begin that right now is your best buddy in the whole world. 

Meanwhile the player is going to see the NPC as a quick meal if he dosent feel like going to the supermarker loot-a-ton.

I just don't think that this is a problem. If you have proper food like burgers or chips still, why would you even eat insects? The payoff would be miniscule compared to that of proper food. Also, the game starts off with the assumption that the apocalypse is already well under way. So how is it that you can resort to robbery and murder on day one but must be artificially coaxed into not eating insects?

I just think that the social interactions of the game are going to be a massive part of the viability of cannibalism, and rightly so, but why on earth must you force players not to eat insects when you can eat rats and worms from day one? What about if I start in a world that is months old already? Or for instance I actually wish to avoid falling into hunger and wish to preemptively eat whatever I can find?

And to further iterate on the point of cannibalism: The usefulness of an NPC will far outweigh the usefulness of eating them, the danger a human poses will far outweigh the nutritional value. The social impact on your group will far outway the benefit of cannibalism. And most of all, the allies of the person you ate will certainly shoot you in the back and burn your house down should they discover that. I reiterate that cannibalism has many factors that will realistically balance it out. As in real life.

It is fairly safe to assume that upon being discovered as a cannibal that the word would spread and you will be facing indiscriminate attacks from people you don't even know. Because when you eat people you automatically alienate anyone not also a cannibal and define yourself not only as a murderer and killer (even if just a scavenger in fact.) but also as a predator.

So yes cannibalism certainly needs and will have consequences... But insects? Beyond unhappiness I see no reason to put artificial constraints on eating them. You might get sick from eating the wrong one for sure, but as I said the world already ended and most people are shambling corpses. It stands to reason that as a survivor you have already done horrid things to be alive, and upon commencing the game it should be believable that you had some form of survival prior to appearing in a house.

I don't think it should be possible to eat enough insects to kill you RJ. At the worst they're just going to give you indigestion. Stomach acid breaks down even venemous insects without trouble, and there's only a very few that are truly poisonous in this part of the world. So, upset stomach and pain- sure, but death directly as a consequence of eating aw insects I'm not crazy about.