Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

On 7/10/2017 at 4:23 PM, Batsphinx said:

5) Fixed: Car will keep running, and engine noise will follow player.

Welp, this issue persists.

It gets worse, if the car is left running and you get far enough away from it for it to unload, the engine noise will not go away until the game is reloaded. Going back to car the engine will be off, turning it on and off again won't solve it.

Edited by Svarog

7 hours ago, Svarog said:

Welp, this issue persists.

It gets worse, if the car is left running and you get far enough away from it for it to unload, the engine noise will not go away until the game is reloaded. Going back to car the engine will be off, turning it on and off again won't solve it.

Single player or multiplayer?

19 hours ago, Svarog said:

Is there any video game in modern day that has vehicles and any way for the player to limit the top speed attainable by holding "W"? Because I can't come up with any. 

Mafia 1 had vehicles where you needed to change gears, if you were driving uphill, you were fucked if you were not in 1 or 2nd gear.

Mafia 2 had a speed limiter that lets you chose the speed you wanted to go in the speed gauge, maybe PZ could have something like that?

Sometimes after the car stops it gets kinda sorta stuck, in a way where pressing "W" to accelerate has no effect.

This can be fixed by either holding down Space for a second or reversing and then going forward but not 100% of the time.

It's kind of weird and hard to describe but I think it would be fairly easy to reproduce by reversing a little then stopping and trying to go forward a few times. Accelerate button will stop working eventually.

I wonder if the possible cause for this might be the fact that "W" has a double binding and sometimes when the engine is on it doesn't read it properly and tries to turn it on instead of accelerating, which obviously has no effect.

And I assume this because every other car control button works just fine. It's just accelerating with W that's the issue.

Edited by Svarog

Encountered a weird Erosion related glitch.

I'm some 45 days into my current game and the erosion is in it's full swing spawning bushes, grass and tiny car stopping pine trees all over the place but there is some weird sync issue.

I cleared my base from all erosion stuff and went away from my base (Pretty far away) came back a day or two later, as I expected much of the stuff has regrown but it behaved weird, disappeared as I got closer/further from it and when I right clicked and tried to remove some grass my character went to the other side of the screen from the thing I clicked on was being displayed and removed it there.

Many things spawned by erosion within a single session can be rendered quite a few tiles away from their actual logical coordinates. No idea why this is.

Issue can be resolved by quitting to menu and reloading the save, after that all grass and bushes that were wonky will be rendered at their actual coordinates.

I can try to capture it on video if my description of the issue isn't good enough.

10 minutes ago, Svarog said:

Encountered a weird Erosion related glitch.

I'm some 45 days into my current game and the erosion is in it's full swing spawning bushes, grass and tiny car stopping pine trees all over the place but there is some weird sync issue.

I cleared my base from all erosion stuff and went away from my base (Pretty far away) came back a day or two later, as I expected much of the stuff has regrown but it behaved weird, disappeared as I got closer/further from it and when I right clicked and tried to remove some grass my character went to the other side of the screen from the thing I clicked on was being displayed and removed it there.

Many things spawned by erosion within a single session can be rendered quite a few tiles away from their actual logical coordinates. No idea why this is.

Issue can be resolved by quitting to menu and reloading the save, after that all grass and bushes that were wonky will be rendered at their actual coordinates.

I can try to capture it on video if my description of the issue isn't good enough.

It sounds good but maybe a video would help them more ?

1 hour ago, Svarog said:

Well I made one.

I cleaned out the entire yard around the house, went far away for a while, came back, this was the result.

Hide contents

This erosion bug is present on build 37.14 as well; during some of my longer gaming sessions (4-6 hour mark), I've noticed that upon visiting an area I've yet to load during that session, grass and foliage will be rendered incorrectly. The spot this occurs most at is the small construction yard in south Rosewood, along the road heading towards the gas station. All along those fences, on the outer-most side, there are rendering issues with my erosion. I get the impression it has something to do with the way line-of-sight is drawn, because the only places where this rendering glitch happens are in unseen areas (unseen, as in yet to be revealed during that play session).

On 7/19/2017 at 11:51 AM, RobertJohnson said:

The occasional turning error that showed should not appear.

Nope

Spoiler

1500674205333 stop ambient IntenseAmbient
1500674207176 stop ambient RhythmicAmbient
1500674207176 stop ambient PercussiveAmbient
1500674222777 stop ambient VoiceAmbient
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.allocChunkIfNeeded(PolygonalMap2.java:3626)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.access$6(PolygonalMap2.java:3624)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$ChunkUpdateTask.execute(PolygonalMap2.java:3108)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.updateThread(PolygonalMap2.java:3778)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$PMThread.runInner(PolygonalMap2.java:3891)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$PMThread.run(PolygonalMap2.java:3880)

There is a bug where the character can get stuck when using their inventory while interacting with the vehicle in some way. It's been there for a while but I finally found a way to replicate it almost every time and got it on video.

YouTube Video, hope it helps. Works with any inventory item, it can happen while inside the vehicle and occasionally the character will get stuck in the running animation, and if that happens, reloading the game is the only way to fix it.

Spoiler

Edit: By the way player character can Noclip through burned cars as if they had no collision.

Edited by Svarog

Bugs :

Visual

1.Some tiles still appears under cars ( http://imgur.com/a/FC8h6 )

Same for corpses / player in specific angles ( http://imgur.com/a/2NauB )

2. One of the model for burned cars is still screwed up ( http://imgur.com/a/5MVFS )

3. Cars are visible if you stay indoors ( http://imgur.com/a/gEvl7 )

4. Sound of running engine still appears,even if you lost your car 

Physic

1.You can "climb" on the burned car if it are inverted.

Same with usual cars,if you drive fast ( http://imgur.com/a/UC7j4 )

Improvements :

1.If you open window - car will change it model ( http://imgur.com/a/wnBiD )

2.Delete opportunity to shoot at any angles with opened windows ( http://imgur.com/a/BjiSo )

3.Opportunity to shoot throught cars,but with lower damage. ( http://imgur.com/a/LGRd94.

4.Delete opportunity to seeing enemy that hide behind car ( http://imgur.com/a/aWgXt )

UPD:

Maybe,opportunity to shoot with closed windows,just this thing will broke them?

Edited by DramaSetter

As someone who tried out the Vehicle Patch right after it came out and didn't touch it again until now, I must say there's been some great improvement. Right now, if only the engine noise issues got fixed (both in the permanence bug and in the fact the engines sound like I am wearing a pair of headsets made out of rusty lawnmowers), I think cars would be ready for direct IWBUMS merge, so the balance issues can be properly addressed.

Vehicle Test Build 15 released

1) Bug fixed: the wheels of the car turn to an incorrect angle.
2) Bug fixed: Car will keep running, and engine noise will follow player.
3) Bug fixed: Vehicle gets stuck after stopping

4) Bug fixed: Sometimes the inventory and the character lock up when transferring/using items when in a car.
5) Bug fixed: Burnt out cars sometimes use a random texture from the tilesheet.
6) Brought up to date with current IWBUMS

55 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

Vehicle Test Build 15 released

4) Bug fixed: Sometimes the inventory and the character lock up when transferring/using items when in a car.

Still present, happens less often.

Spoiler

Other than that, can confirm fixes, #3 being gone is great, makes driving a lot better.

PS: Car Noise doesn't carry far enough IMO, the player should be able to hear a running car from a bit further than 10 tiles away.

Hi there, my two cents on this build. To test this, I played a new world for about one hour.

1) as others have noticed, when hitting zombies the car "jumps" a bit too much. It feels odd for the largest vehicles (minivans etc). Also the chance of running over "standing" zombies should be lower, specially for low cars. I would expect most of the impacts leading to the bodies flying over the car, hitting the windshield and falling sideways or something.

2) it would also be cool if we had the same jumps when running over dead zombies and stuff on the road, but I understand this would be hard on the game engine.

3) some structures have no hitboxes, like lampposts, and it would be fun/bad/dangerous taking them down by hitting them at high speed with the car. Right now we clip inside many things.

4) i feel that the impacts between the cars and the bodies are transferring too much momentum. The car slows down too much when hitting a single person, and the zombie is not thrown away at a large distance. It is like zombies weight like 30% of the car.

5) the acceleration of the cars seems a bit low, even for standard vehicles. Even on the highway it takes a long time to reach speeds that "feel" fast. In this regard, note that normally time in PZ runs way faster than IRL, so a bit of "unrealistic quick accelerations" would not be totally unreasonable, if the gameplay can be improved. Also I can see this being an issue with PZ's engine or due to the isometric view; anyways I felt it was worth pointing out.

6) related to 5, the shown speed doesn't feel quite right when driving. The car seems always "slower", and when you turn even at slow speed the tires squeak a lot. Once again, this might be also an issue of isometric projections, I don't know.

7) it would be nice to have an HUD when driving that we can access with simple mouse clicks on one corner of the screen, to control the different systems of the car (lights, heating/ac, locking doors, turn on radio, honk the horn, etc).

8) I am sure that this would be tackled later on, but with the introductions of vehicles, the "right angles" on some roads (especially the highway) is really problematic, and stands out too much. I think having at least 45° roads is a must for the final version of the map.

I hope this feedback proves useful for you. I would also like to stress that I am really impressed by your work, I've been following this game since version 1.4d so I know what i'm talking about :-D