Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

Ah - this is a version we meant to push to an internal performance test build.

As such some stuff might be broken BUT if you notice a difference in performance then please let us know!

We'll will revert/patch later when relevant people are around if needs be. Sorry for the random update.

39 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

As such some stuff might be broken BUT if you notice a difference in performance then please let us know!

Erosion doesn't need a while of me standing in place to load and that's great!

Performance wise, I'm getting higher average FPS, it doesn't fall below 30 nearly as much as it did before and generally stays somewhat above it at max zoom out. Something is definitely better in some area.

However there is a ton of weird spikes of freezing that seem to occur at regular intervals, doesn't matter if I'm driving or not they just happen.

Edit: Second test run

Went with Insane zombies, zombies load in properly, performance is a lot lower. There is something about having a lot of zombies around while driving that causes serious frame drops.

Edited by Svarog

I've been messing with the scripts to get some vehicles to stop flipping and make suspension look better (So cars don't look like they float above their wheels), here's values I came up with.

Spoiler

PickUpTruckLights
suspensionRestLength = 0.49f,

StepVan

RollInfluence = 0.6f,

CarNormalLights
RollInfluence = 0.6f,
suspensionRestLength = 0.35f,

Van
suspensionRestLength = 0.32f,

VanSeats
suspensionRestLength = 0.45f,

PickUpTruck
suspensionRestLength = 0.49f,

CarSationWagon
suspensionRestLength = 0.35f,

Edit: Also

PickUpVanLights
RollInfluence = 0.7f,
suspensionRestLength = 0.54f,

Edited by Svarog

It seems like downloading "Project Zomboid Dedicated Server" from the Tools section of steam doesn't download all the files it needs, PZBullet64.dll is missing, which causes an error, and after copying said dll from my client, it still crashes with the error "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Lgnu/trove/map/hash/TIntObjectHashMap;".

This is a screenshot of everything in my server directory 

EDIT: this is actually a screenshot of the directory after reverting to the main branch, the vehicle branch's directory is exactly the same

Capture.PNG

Edited by MrabEzreb

NEW VERSION RELEASED:

Yuri has done a lot of work addressing memory leaks and general FPS stuff. We've found stuff and fixed it, but we need extra feedback from everyone's different set-ups as there's been quite a few changes under the hood. So please let us know how it runs. :)

Also:

FIXED: Trees appearing out of nowhere. (fingers crossed - please let us know)

FIXED: In MP vehicle inventories appear differently for each player and do not update correctly for all players. All stored contents are lost when a vehicle leaves the cell. Items are lost from car trunk when logging off.

FIXED: Issue with inventory management, namely after getting inside a car it's impossible to transfer items between player inventory and anything inside.

10 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

NEW VERSION RELEASED:

Yuri has done a lot of work addressing memory leaks and general FPS stuff. We've found stuff and fixed it, but we need extra feedback from everyone's different set-ups as there's been quite a few changes under the hood. So please let us know how it runs. :)

Also:

FIXED: Trees appearing out of nowhere. (fingers crossed - please let us know)

FIXED: In MP vehicle inventories appear differently for each player and do not update correctly for all players. All stored contents are lost when a vehicle leaves the cell. Items are lost from car trunk when logging off.

FIXED: Issue with inventory management, namely after getting inside a car it's impossible to transfer items between player inventory and anything inside.

Very visible performance difference on my rig compared to previous version, FPS is now very stable and now stays at playable levels. Got a stable 30FPS at medium zoom with Insane Zombie Count and Max Erosion. It's much better.

Occasionally it freezes for a second, I assume it has something to do with loading the map, it seems to happen a lot less frequently than it used to.

Can confirm that map streams correctly, no invisible trees/zombies or erosion needing to catch up. Inventory has been working fine too.

Issues:
- Character starts with inventory full of items that are clearly there for testing Build 38 stuff.
(Build comes with an active debug.lua file)

There is an annoying bug where it's possible to press E and W while in the car, the car will start as the character exits it and it will keep running, with engine noise forever stuck to the player character and if one goes far enough away that the car unloads and then comes back, there will be no way to get rid of the noise but reloading the save.

Edited by Svarog

Decided to take a drive from The Mall to March Ridge to get some more detailed notes on Performance with just the car.

Settings: No Zombies, No Erosion, Max Zoom Out

Car Used: CarNormalLights
Performance:
Average FPS: 27-30 [Locked to 30, I usually keep the game in this mode]

FPS Drops:

• On Turning (5 FPS drop for duration of turning)
  • On Starting Engine (Down to 10 for 1-2 seconds) [Rare]
  • Entering an area with high building density (5-7 FPS drop)

Haven't noticed any real impact when getting close to pile ups, having a lot of cars on screen doesn't generally impact my performance.

I don't know how to explain it but sometimes I feel as if the game skipped a frame or two here and there.

Without erosion the freezing I mentioned in earlier post is not an issue.

Bug: Car Skeletons sometimes get their texture messed up, upon close inspection it usually seems like their texture is replaced with some random sprite from the tilesheet.

gL5lMIj.png
Bug: Burned Cars can sometimes bounce infinitely after spawning.

Edited by Svarog

Hello there ! I have 2 things to say

did the devs remove trunks space in cars? I cant store anything inside the vehicles. can someone clarify me that. ill apreciate it

second: i cant pass lvl3 carpenter. everytime I level it up it just resets it . is that a new bug?

looks like vehicle build was merged with 38.3 :D I picked 6 months later to test things and I spawned with a LOT items (generatos , shovel, planks etc), you can wash your clothes and dig graves !

The FPS is a lot better, 40-50 at average , inside MU 30-25 (on 6 months later scenario).

Cool stuff - seems like there's general performance improvement which is great to see.

Yuri will probably concentrate on 'fun' stuff with physics etc for his next burst - but if you guys get any further details on those slight pauses mentioned etc then please let us know.

Likewise if there are any particularly annoying things that are getting in your way when playing for extended times then let me know and I'll bump them further up Yuri's task list. Hopefully the co-op inventory fixes will make life easier in MP for starters :)

I get around 25-40 Fps driving around at the second highest zoom level depending on if I'm in a town or not and I'm still getting big FPS drops when turning in a car on the latest vehicle branch.

Performance seems relatively the same as when i posted the video.

I like that some cars almost let you skid when using the brake and turning, Hopefully that's improved upon.

Edited by Neutz

Keeping Crafting UI on Electronics Tab Results in Following Error

Spoiler

1498141065374 -----------------------------------------
1498141065374 STACK TRACE
1498141065374 -----------------------------------------
1498141065374 function: render -- file: ISCraftingUI.lua line # 455
1498141065402 -------------------------------------------------------------
1498141065402 attempted index: item of non-table: null
1498141065402 -----------------------------------------
1498141065402 STACK TRACE
1498141065402 -----------------------------------------
1498141065403 function: render -- file: ISCraftingUI.lua line # 455
java.lang.RuntimeException: attempted index: item of non-table: null
    at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.tableget(KahluaThread.java:1549)
    at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.luaMainloop(KahluaThread.java:473)
    at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.call(KahluaThread.java:163)
    at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1817)
    at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcallvoid(KahluaThread.java:1687)
    at se.krka.kahlua.integration.LuaCaller.pcallvoid(LuaCaller.java:38)
    at zombie.ui.UIElement.render(UIElement.java:1254)
    at zombie.ui.UIManager.render(UIManager.java:632)
    at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.renderframeui(IngameState.java:834)
    at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.render(IngameState.java:984)
    at zombie.gameStates.GameStateMachine.render(GameStateMachine.java:37)
    at zombie.GameWindow.render(GameWindow.java:712)
    at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1281)
    at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:1051)
    at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:180)

Like Drama Setter says, having fire on screen results in the following Error.

Spoiler

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.renderMinusFloor(IsoGridSquare.java:6924)
    at zombie.iso.IsoCell.RenderTiles(IsoCell.java:902)
    at zombie.iso.IsoCell.render(IsoCell.java:4191)
    at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.render(IsoWorld.java:2662)
    at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.renderframe(IngameState.java:808)
    at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.render(IngameState.java:973)
    at zombie.gameStates.GameStateMachine.render(GameStateMachine.java:37)
    at zombie.GameWindow.render(GameWindow.java:712)
    at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1281)
    at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:1051)
    at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:180)

Driving through March Ridge is a very stuttery experience, I assume this is due to sheer density of buildings there. Being close to the big multi-story building while inside a car is very bad for performance for me.

2 hours ago, Neutz said:

I like that some cars almost let you skid when using the brake and turning, Hopefully that's improved upon.

I hope this will be improved upon as well.

8 minutes ago, Svarog said:

Keeping Crafting UI on Electronics Tab Results in Following Error

Reveal hidden contents

Like Drama Setter says, having fire on screen results in the following Error.

Reveal hidden contents

Have these been introduced with this build? Do people recall having issues with this before?

Just now, Batsphinx said:

Have these been introduced with this build? Do people recall having issues with this before?

Nah they've been there since I can remember as far as vehicle Build goes. It's nothing that crashes the game or breaks it, Fire burns corpses and tiles fine and Crafting UI mostly works (I assume there is some missing item for a recipe that it tries to look up but it doesn't exist anymore). It just throws those errors into console on each singular tick.

17 hours ago, Svarog said:

Bug: Car Skeletons sometimes get their texture messed up, upon close inspection it usually seems like their texture is replaced with some random sprite from the tilesheet.

gL5lMIj.png

That's...That's Spiffo. That's f**king Spiffo. The car is textured with f**king Spiffo.