Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

Hello! Today we’re releasing an early version of our vehicles build as a Tech Test. We are currently streamlining performance, and as such need to know how the build runs on the many/various/countless different machines that make up the PZ community.

It's a Work in Progress version (and still needs a bunch of gameplay and features attached to it) but it’s also quite fun to drive around and see the sights in – so we do hope you enjoy it and like where it’s all headed.

The only fly in the ointment is that we don't have a Mac build right now, and this will be coming later this week. So apologies to our non-Linux and non-PC people.

Our thanks to EasyPickins, Yuri and all the General Arcade gang for all their work so far on this!

HOW TO GET IT

• First off, if you currently have an ongoing PZ game then be sure to back up all your save files.
  • Right click on Project Zomboid in your Steam library and select ‘Properties’
  • Navigate to the ‘Steam Beta’ tab
  • A beta branch called ‘vehicle’ can be selected on the dropdown menu.

WHAT WE NEED TO KNOW

• We need to know about (computer-based) crashes that we haven’t come across in our internal testing. Please report these alongside the crash log in this thread.
  • We need to know how your game performs on your machine for the first 10 minutes of play, and of course your system specs – and the platform version of PZ you’re running. (MSI Afterburner is a good program for this task, and its set-up instructions are here). Reports should again be put into this thread.
  • Online capabilities are enabled but not widely tested. Any feedback from testing it out online would be appreciated.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

This is a Vehicles Tech Test and, as such, is unpolished and unfinished. You should be aware of the following:

• At present cars are overpowered, and general gameplay balance is out of whack.
  • The art-style of cars is temporary and hasn’t had the new, less intrusive, Mash textures added yet. Likewise, they are not ‘grounded’ by shadows right now.
  • To aid community testing all cars are unlocked and fuelled. Current work on locked cars, gas tanks of varying emptiness and other gameplay can be seen with the startup command –disableeasyvehicles.
  • Vehicle sounds are WIP and will improve, we're aware they aren't perfect but are just a first bash to make sure people have some audio feedback.
  • Due to the current draw order some sprites and zombies car appear over cars. This means some ground sprites such as grass and zombie bodies can be drawn over cars, and occasionally cars may be drawn in the wrong order.
  • Due to this being worked on on a separate branch, expect more bugs than usual in the non-vehicle-related realm and don't expect this to work as a stable or even IWBUMS version

DRIVING LESSON

Once you have loaded up a new game then you’ll find cars in some driveways, and most parking lots. You can enter a car with ‘E’, though be sure to get in on the driver’s side if you want a swift exit.

Press ‘V’ to open up a vehicle’s radial menu – from which you’ll find access to the ignition, car radio, headlights and more.

BuowSaI.gif

Important: You use the key icon to start the car BUT sometimes repeated attempts at ignition will be required. The lack of sound effects means that failed start attempts are not made clear. When the icon at the bottom of the screen turns green then the engine is on, and you can drive.

The keyboard shortcut for ‘start engine’ is ‘N’ – and this is a less fussy way to turn the key.

Once the car has started then use the WSAD keys to drive. Other keyboard shortcuts you can use when in the vehicle are ‘L’ (Headlights) and ‘U’ (vehicle info).

WHAT WE’LL BE DOING NEXT

Yuri’s focus is currently on performance, and we will be updating the Vehicles Tech Test branch this week with whatever fixes are required as and when they become clear. In coming weeks we will also be working on zombie collision and vehicle impact, the exaggeration of tilts and leans when you take corners and implementing greater differences in handling between vehicles.

There’s also some ‘reverse momentum physics’ when the front of the car moves up when hitting the brakes instead of pushing down which we need to add the fix for.

Yuri has a full tasklist, but it’s one that’s being ticked through at a steady rate. We’re hoping that we’ll be able to release further vehicles test builds to the community whenever milestones are hit, so that we can harvest feedback whenever it’s most required in the run-up to vehicles becoming one with the main game.

It’s cool to stream, as long as you clearly tell your viewers the WIP status and it being a tech test version.

EDIT: 11 May 2017

A new build has been released, improved the decreasing FPS in long drives (though those that start with low FPS will likely still have it), and also adding a WIP first stab at some placeholder vehicle sounds. They are not final and just to fill the silence, so no need to report issues with them.

This is to test the vehicles, which as had massive amounts of work in a separate branch for a significant amount of time, there may be bugs introduced that may include getting panicked by zombies improperly, this is why we made a test tech build so people can spot such things.

3 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Assuming they uploaded it to the server package

app_update 380870 -beta vehicle -betapassword workinprogress validate

ah. This might require a wait till tomorrow I'm afraid :(

1. Sometimes,when i want to open car menu,it flashing. Also,car models don't Immediately drawn when i spottet it.
2. You can fight with zombies,even if car windows are closed.
3. Also,can't do selfheal when in car ( or open my inventory )
4. Texure bug ( screenshot 1 ) 

5. You possible to sleep even if no tired,or in zombie horde ( sleep is neverending,you can't cancel it )

20170508195455_1.jpg

Edited by Drama_Setter

Start the game two minutes, I got a serious game lag and very low FPS.

Task Manager shows ProjectZomboid64.exe CPU usage 100%, then I got a memory overflow error.

Exception in thread "World Streamer" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at zombie.iso.IsoObject.<init>(IsoObject.java:1164)
        at zombie.iso.CellLoader.DoTileObjectCreation(CellLoader.java:380)
        at zombie.iso.IsoCell.PlaceLot(IsoCell.java:1781)
        at zombie.iso.CellLoader.LoadCellBinaryChunk(CellLoader.java:498)
        at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:1841)
        at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.DoChunkAlways(WorldStreamer.java:237)
        at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.DoChunk(WorldStreamer.java:228)
        at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer$1.run(WorldStreamer.java:143)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

My computer:

CPU: INTEL XEON E3 1230 V2

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970

RAM: 12GB

3 minutes ago, Sky_Orc_Mm said:

Start the game two minutes, I got a serious game lag and very low FPS.

Task Manager shows ProjectZomboid64.exe CPU usage 100%, then I got a memory overflow error.

Exception in thread "World Streamer" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at zombie.iso.IsoObject.<init>(IsoObject.java:1164)
        at zombie.iso.CellLoader.DoTileObjectCreation(CellLoader.java:380)
        at zombie.iso.IsoCell.PlaceLot(IsoCell.java:1781)
        at zombie.iso.CellLoader.LoadCellBinaryChunk(CellLoader.java:498)
        at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:1841)
        at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.DoChunkAlways(WorldStreamer.java:237)
        at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.DoChunk(WorldStreamer.java:228)
        at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer$1.run(WorldStreamer.java:143)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

My computer:

CPU: INTEL XEON E3 1230 V2

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970

RAM: 12GB

Can you try rebooting and validating your cache on Steam? this is a bug from an older vehicle build from a few hours ago that was fixed and yet still for some reason showed up on Enigma Grey's after it had already been replaced, he revalidated and restarted the machine and it fixed itself, no idea why it would happen to someone fresh though. Maybe steam DL servers haven't synced up or something yet.

4 minutes ago, lemmy101 said:

Can you try rebooting and validating your cache on Steam? this is a bug from an older vehicle build from a few hours ago that was fixed and yet still for some reason showed up on Enigma Grey's after it had already been replaced, he revalidated and restarted the machine and it fixed itself, no idea why it would happen to someone fresh though. Maybe steam DL servers haven't synced up or something yet.

I try to verify the game integrity and restarted the steam and did not get any updates.

I will continue to test it

The same problem I got for another memory overflow error.

at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.<init>(IsoGridSquare.java:153)
        at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.getNew(IsoGridSquare.java:3064)
        at zombie.iso.IsoCell.PlaceLot(IsoCell.java:1721)Exception in thread "main"
Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "World Streamer"

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at zombie.iso.sprite.IsoSprite.newInstance(IsoSprite.java:58)
        at zombie.erosion.obj.ErosionObj.setStageObject(ErosionObj.java:159)
        at zombie.erosion.categories.ErosionCategory.updateObj(ErosionCategory.java:211)
        at zombie.erosion.categories.NatureTrees.update(NatureTrees.java:200)
        at zombie.erosion.ErosionWorld.update(ErosionWorld.java:67)
        at zombie.erosion.ErosionMain.loadGridsquare(ErosionMain.java:354)
        at zombie.erosion.ErosionMain.LoadGridsquare(ErosionMain.java:593)
        at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.doLoadGridsquare(IsoChunk.java:2877)
        at zombie.iso.IsoChunkMap.update(IsoChunkMap.java:128)
        at zombie.iso.IsoCell.update(IsoCell.java:4693)
        at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.update(IsoWorld.java:2903)
        at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.update(IngameState.java:1304)
        at zombie.gameStates.GameStateMachine.update(GameStateMachine.java:101)
        at zombie.GameWindow.logic(GameWindow.java:662)
        at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1275)
        at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:1051)
        at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:180)

As long as I use the car, CPU usage is always very high.

After a few minutes the game will lose response, And throw the above error.

I use Windows10 Professional Edition (ver 1703)

My computer characteristics:
NVIDIA GTX 760
Intel Core i5 3470 3.2GHz
8 Gb RAM

With a standard game on a conventional branch, about 40 frames are stable at the maximum distance. At the test of updating with transport without visible transport about 30 frames with peredicheskimi friezes. When you ride on the transport, strong friezes start when drawing the neighborhoods, frames fall to 20-25, rain falls to 17 and does not rise above 20. There is a serious drop in performance, I hope you correct it.

Also in many places the texture is not properly applied. A lot of bugs! But I wish you further success, you have done an excellent job and we are all waiting for you to get things right in the near future. Good luck!

1. after a several crash with the car, but i dont "feel" damage.. the engine's hp still 100%,  but the front body hp -389/100 ( there is no negative effect).
2. random car spawn from the sky, it happens at parking areas.
3. "window break" sound when hit the wall or any car stoping object, but no damage on car, just the body hp as in my (1.) 
4. need hotkeyfix. if i use the car info hotkey (U) its should be close the infopanel when im press it again. 

5. 5/5 game exit finished with - "project zomboid.exe stop working"
btw.. im glad to see the enginebreaking when we relase the accelerate W-key:P
ummmm is the trunk will be able to use as container for loot?:)

Edited by zOrg

6 minutes ago, Rathlord said:

Again, please read the known bugs list before reporting things. Telling us that there's no crash damage when it's one of the things on the list doesn't help much ;-)

Forgive me:3 where is that buglist?

edit: found it, soz again:D:D

Edited by zOrg

Looks good , here is what I found.

When you drive at top speed and then stop a lot of things can spawn out of nowhere (zeds, other cars etc).

You can see other vehicles regardless of LOS.

Some vehicle texturec can go crazy (pic)

And as you already know a huge FPS drop. When you drive for a bit the game feels like in slow-mo.

pzcarsbug.bmp

Edited by Zorak