Does PZ really even need cars?

Rikashey

I just can't see them in PZ. The game is somewhat unique in a way and adding cars seems kinda ridiculous. I mean, just imagine what multiplayer would be like with cars. Players driving all over the place running over zombies and crap. The game would be like some early GTA ripoff with zombies. It would lose it's appeal.

Now I can see adding in bikes and motorbikes as transportation but not cars and trucks. Motorcycles are smaller, simpler to work on, and require less gas. Moveable containers such as shopping carts and wheelbarrels sound great and I'm all for it. But cars on the other hand sound sorta ridiculous for this game.

If the devs add in cars they might as well add in dragons and change the name of the game to Project Zomboid 2: GTA Boogaloo.

YES

bike-photo.jpgDirt+Bike.jpgATV.jpg

yamaha_r6_sports_bike-normal.jpg

NO

cars.png

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't expect any of the vehicles being usable when first introduced into the game, but they will add the feel of loneliness and tragedy that happened to that place. As for communication - I'd prefer the car over push bike or motorcycle, because you can fit a lot of the staff inside and not really be worried about zombie grabbing you when passing by.

And also it doesn't mean how much you'll try to ridicule it or compare to some other less interesting titles (like the video you've linked), it's still going to happen. Just deal with it.

when you consider that it already takes over 20 actual minutes to get from muldraugh - west point (sprinting all the way) and how much bigger the map is supposed to become, yes i think vehicles are a necessity. I sincerely doubt a sport bike is a more viable option considering it has no storage space and is much more dangerous to operate than a car.

You (OP) seem to think that cars would be like in gta where you just ram through every object and get a little smoke out of the vehicle... That's not how cars work. And that's also not how car accidents work. If you drive over a 80kg man even at 50km/h he's going to come ramming through your windshield and most likely make a mush of your bones. Not to talk about what would happen if you'd hit a tree or a horde of zombies... So no. You're not going to use the car to "run zombies over and crap". A car is not meant to cause accidents. It is meant to avoid accidents.

I once had a car hit the side of my truck. I was going 50 km/h and he accelerated from stop to about 20km/h. The car literally flew at least 4 meters to the direction I was heading and landed on a snow bench in an about 30o angle. Lucky for the guy his car only got hit on the passangers side so he survived without a scratch, but if he would have had a passenger that person would have probably died. Even then, the man was so shocked he could barely speak.

Absurdly ridiculous argument, apparently assuming all cars are comical little toys that are all made out of plastic and bounce around and act exactly as they do in GTA. I have to wonder if you have ever seen a real car after this post.

Maybe he lives somewhere where cars are not common.

Stop that discrimination young man!

i would like to have cars in the game, i think it adds a different element to it, especially if you can quickly scavenge a store, in and out with a group then head back to base. although i would like this to be rare, or broken and needs to be fixed up by maybe an engineer, mechanic or whatever, this makes scavenging for parts more fun imo

the bikes and quads i also love, but im just wanting everything to be rarer or broken, whatever works, you don't want everyone to have transport etc oh and tractors would be a great addition aswell

+1 for me, nice, except keep cars :cool:

. . . . Vehicles are being added, like others are saying, this ain't GTA. I hate to give this example but think of the walking dead, do cars suddenly become unstoppable tanks in a zombie apocalypse?

Please, understand that this game is almost like a zombie apocalypse simulator, and also a role playing game. Not having vehicles makes absolutely zero sense.

Yeah i gotta say, cars will be sweet. Littering the streets adding to the atmosphere for sure. I'll personally be riding a push bike, but I can see the appeal of a car for longer journeys and hauling supplies.

I think vehicles will revolutionise this game as much as NPC's or 3D...maybe that's a big call, but a speedy container on wheels, yes please! Plus Max Brooks highly recommends the push bike so I want to have it in game desperately. 

I don't want motorbikes or anything like that either.

Well, it's up to you if you don't want to use them, but you'll have some troubles reaching other cities when they'll be around.

Vehicles are pretty much indispensable, but they have to be done right. and I trust TIS to make the right calls anyway.

Definitely want a bicycle. Properly maintained they're extremely quiet, and as long as your zombies aren't runners you can distance them fast. Add in the maneauverability to go around car packed roads, being lightweight enough to lift over moderate obstacles and the ability to go offroad they are one of your best vehicle choices... Of course you are giving up protection and carrying capacity, but i travel light anyway.

Cars should be definitely added, drive able or not. I would love to see the highways out of West point or other towns littered with abandoned cars, accidents on the roads or even a car that plowed through a store window! It would give the game a lot more atmosphere and make it look like it was a actual town that people lived in. This also opens up quests for NPCs and their meta-game. One survivor could say that he was almost out of the city when he ran out of gas, or other things happened to his car. 

There should be horses.

..vzM303l.jpg

Well there is a pony riding place at the west farm, Imagine strolling in Louisville on that, only to have AMC sue you for hiding under a tank as the horse got eaten alive, MUH HAH HAH 

Absurdly ridiculous argument, apparently assuming all cars are comical little toys that are all made out of plastic and bounce around and act exactly as they do in GTA. I have to wonder if you have ever seen a real car after this post.

Maybe he lives somewhere where cars are not common.

Stop that discrimination young man!

I think everywhere in the world has cars...

I want parked cars that you can't drive. I would like you to be able to loot things such as first aid kits or other things often found in cars from them. I wouldn't mind bikes so long as you can still get exhausted from them. I don't want motorbikes or anything like that either.

looting cars is a confirmed yes

I personally expect cars to be pretty much useless, an awesome feature, but useless all the same.

You drive up to a house & go scavenging for an hour or so (game time) & find Zed throwing you a party when you return. In the words of Sam Hoffman "Cars make noise, Zed likes noise" :P

Yet regardless of that. The map is already huge, given how big it is likely to get & for the immersion factor I'm still looking forward to them being implemented.

Its not the best analogy because of the weight difference but, hit a deer or a kangaroo with your car there's no fixing it. Same goes for Zed, hit him at speed & your car is a write off

Well, most cars can't just drive off the road and into a woodland path to chase down a deer or frolic in the warmth of the afternoon sun. Sure, maybe a truck could do that, but a regular, everyday car would get stuck in the mud, etc...

I personally expect cars to be pretty much useless, an awesome feature, but useless all the same.

You drive up to a house & go scavenging for an hour or so (game time) & find Zed throwing you a party when you return.

Would be pretty "fun" to go driving around in your car and have a backseat zombie waiting...

I just can't see them in PZ. The game is somewhat unique in a way and adding cars seems kinda ridiculous. I mean, just imagine what multiplayer would be like with cars. Players driving all over the place running over zombies and crap. The game would be like some early GTA ripoff with zombies. It would lose it's appeal.

Now I can see adding in bikes and motorbikes as transportation but not cars and trucks. Motorcycles are smaller, simpler to work on, and require less gas. Moveable containers such as shopping carts and wheelbarrels sound great and I'm all for it. But cars on the other hand sound sorta ridiculous for this game.

If the devs add in cars they might as well add in dragons and change the name of the game to Project Zomboid 2: GTA Boogaloo.

I understand where you are coming from but you have to understand the following points,

The roads will be to littered with road to make them something you use an loot runs, a lot of roads will be impassable in cars,

Petrol, when other items are implemented, will have a variety of uses, but unless you have a petrol siphon. Also most cars would be running low on petrol, many would have been kept running as their owners fled.

GTA, although a great game, does not have realistic cars, you can be dropped from Mt. Chiliad and If you land on 4 wheels you are A ok. In real life If you are driving along and you hit a cow, Have you seen what happens in Halloween 2 (2009)? It ain't pretty. What if you crash into a clutter of cars? Death, car is trashed, OR you could get trapped inside the car and get swarmed by Zed.