Does PZ really even need cars?

Rikashey

<snip>

If you'd manage to get one of those trucks you'd also have to drill your way in, those hoses are made so that they spew gas only when they are connected to a right kind of hole. I don't know the technical terms, but it's damn near impossible to steal gas from them. This is partly also to avoid the drivers themselves stealing gas, so experience won't be much of a help. But, it's a whole other thing if this should be the case in game, for playabilitys sake.

Worth remembering. Besides it'd add extra value to have to siphon from cars.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

If you'd manage to get one of those trucks you'd also have to drill your way in, those hoses are made so that they spew gas only when they are connected to a right kind of hole. I don't know the technical terms, but it's damn near impossible to steal gas from them. This is partly also to avoid the drivers themselves stealing gas, so experience won't be much of a help. But, it's a whole other thing if this should be the case in game, for playabilitys sake.

Worth remembering. Besides it'd add extra value to have to siphon from cars.

True and these days even most of the regular car tanks are locked and you can't really get to those without busting them (or opening from inside the vehicle in some cases), but that's not too difficult. Personally I'd go look for regular truck's tanks as they're really easy to break into and they hold a lot of diesel (worth 2-5 regular car tanks . . . it depends on stuff) and are usually at least half way full. You either just have to use some force with your hand or put in a screwdriver and wedge it over. Would be kinda nice game mechanic too. To open a gas tank you'd need a screwdriver, crowbar or a sturdy knife that can handle sideways bending. Then you could siphon the tank. Or just be able to get into the car. :P Many cars have a button to open the tank if it's locked. either way I guess.

Hmm... Now I'm thinking I'm giving tips on how to steal gas...  :shock: Somebody tell me if this is over the line and I'll try to edit some out. :wacko:

<snip>

Hmm... Now I'm thinking I'm giving tips on how to steal gas...  :shock: Somebody tell me if this is over the line and I'll try to edit some out. :wacko:

You're giving advice for when - inevitably - the zombies come. You're providing survival tips...

All seriousness, it's not enough to just give something to the player. You can't just give them an almost infinite supply of fuel and not balance it out.

Having the player force the tank open like they need force a window adds balance. Zombies should hear windows being forced although I've not seen this exhibited.

You see it in TWD all the time. The guy/girl always gets bitten when they put down their weapon to [perform routine action they do every day without issue a hundred times before] except this time they only got 4 hours sleep and didn't notice the Z asleep in the car next to them. This should also be the case for fuel. So it should be when opening windows, siphoning fuel, cutting wood. 

This would place extra emphasis on NPC's as lookouts.

You (and others) have made the following quite clear :

* To hotwire a car you'd need prior knowledge. It is not common knowledge.[1]

* Getting fuel from the station itself (after the power is off) is a complete no-go

* Getting fuel by way of siphoning is common knowledge

[1] As mentioned this might be something specific to a profession, like mechanic. It should be a teachable skill. It would greatly add to the value of NPC's if say, one were a mechanic or possibly a car thief in their former life.

Well, so much for quick reply. War and peace all over again. Sorry about that.