Non-bleeding wounds should have no (or even lower chance) for infection

Sinic

Today I get scratched by a crawler (and the crawler didn't even have an animation for his attack) and I was just "Scratched" on my Right Thigh, no bleeding, nothing. Later I get symptoms of infection despite thinking I wouldn't get infected due to it just being merely a flesh wound.

If you get scratched (or maybe even bit) and you're not bleeding, wouldn't it make sense that you don't have a chance to get infected?

There wouldn't be any fluid contact between the zombie and your blood stream and it would be more of a flesh wound.

I asked a pre-med friend and he said it doesn't make much sense as the wound would only be over the upper-layer of your skin, but I don't really trust him entirely.

If anyone has any credible reason please provide why they would think this wouldn't make much sense, please put it below.

tl;dr I just feel like scratches can take your life at random times due to RNG, and any way to make it more realistic (if what I'm saying is realistic in the first place) for specific wounds would make it a bit less irritating. 

There are cases of people dying because they got infections from random papercuts and there are cases of people who never treated their open wounds other than covering them with dirty rags and living long.

It really comes down to your own personal immunity system, if it's good, you're good if it sucks... you're screwed.

In PZ the infection is generally through blood + saliva, Which to me sounds like 28 days later but thankfully it's not that bad because then any random blood getting in your characters eye would cause instant infection and zombies then to spray that shit all over everything.

Bites are around 98% fatal, scratches are far less lethal and it works, if you want to avoid getting infected, avoid zombies, otherwise you're taking the risk with every swing of your preferred melee weapon and you need to accept that.

RNG can be a bitch but, honestly, our entire lives are RNG based so it's realistic.

The main thing that I'm mad about (and I think deserves it's own separate thread) is how buggy crawler zombies are.

I know how to deal with them, go behind them and attack them from behind, yes I know.

But I got hit by a crawler zombie from outside it's arm's length and it didn't even perform an animation, all I heard was a noise and a ripping sound.

I understand the risk of trying to deal with zombies, but for both me and my other friends, we seem to always fall victim to how buggy the crawlers can act and I feel like they can be extremely annoying, even if you are already aware of it's location.

The main thing that I'm mad about (and I think deserves it's own separate thread) is how buggy crawler zombies are.

I know how to deal with them, go behind them and attack them from behind, yes I know.

But I got hit by a crawler zombie from outside it's arm's length and it didn't even perform an animation, all I heard was a noise and a ripping sound.

I understand the risk of trying to deal with zombies, but for both me and my other friends, we seem to always fall victim to how buggy the crawlers can act and I feel like they can be extremely annoying, even if you are already aware of it's location.

I can agree with the crawlers begin OP sometimes because i hate them so much, but as for right now, the best strategy is just to avoid them at all costs.

My comment has been recommended by others, but I think a Sandbox option that would allow us to choose an infection setting with "Bites Only" would be awesome. That way, you could scrap and brawl with the undead and get all beat up and bloody, as long as you were never actually bitten.

I'm almost a month into my current Survival-mode character and I've been scratched once. Funnily enough, it wasn't even by a crawler, but rather a pair of zombies I was trying to take down. I've noticed that sometimes when a zombie picks itself back up from the ground, it won't immediately attack you but instead choose to flank you. Irritating to say the least; since when have zombies been able to coordinate?

The only instance I ever remember reading about coordinating zombies is in the book series "Dead World", written by Joe McKinney. In his lore, the zombies go through a bit of an upside-down parabolic development, in that fresh zombies start out strong, but stupid. As time goes on, they begin to rot and lose their speed and strength. However if they can survive for longer periods of months or even as long as a year, the virus undergoes a transformation where the host begins to redevelop tissues and intelligence.

It was interesting to then read about zombies that were fast, intelligent and actively working together to take down their prey. Their numbers were very small, since it took a good amount of time before any of these infected actually began to make an appearance, but it was an interesting change of pace I suppose.

Yeah, i don't think that scratch in only the meat wouldn't infect you, but the two things that annoys me the most in that kind of situations are:

1. Crawlers are really bugged and unbalanced. Examples?

a) crawlers can easily crawl under walking zombies and bite you when you don't even see them because there are zombies walking on them. Try to crawl under someones foots. Good luck.

b) when really fast ones zombies become a crawler they are really freakin' fast. I feel that even normal human would have problems in crawling with that speed using only arms. How they can be so fast when they have literally nothing to grab than floor or grass and their legs are broken?

2. Scratches have just flat 25% chance to infect you. You can disinfect your scratch in matter of seconds and this will not help. It's really unlogicial for me that you can't actually kill that virus/bacteria with disinfectant but your body have a really big chance to just don't get infected. When i understand bittes for me scratches are really wayyy out from any logicial reasons why they're working like that (btw that you have 2-3% to not get infected by bite is also kinda unrealistic, it's like this virus/bacteria is trolling you and playing god). And i don't think that traits can help you in any way. It's just flat % and i really don't like this.

Yeah, i don't think that scratch in only the meat wouldn't infect you, but the two things that annoys me the most in that kind of situations are:

a) crawlers can easily crawl under walking zombies and bite you when you don't even see them because there are zombies walking on them. Try to crawl under someones foots. Good luck.

b) when really fast ones zombies become a crawler they are really freakin' fast. I feel that even normal human would have problems in crawling with that speed using only arms. How they can be so fast when they have literally nothing to grab than floor or grass and their legs are broken?

2. Scratches have just flat 25% chance to infect you. You can disinfect your scratch in matter of seconds and this will not help. It's really unlogicial for me that you can't actually kill that virus/bacteria with disinfectant but your body have a really big chance to just don't get infected. When i understand bittes for me scratches are really wayyy out from any logicial reasons why they're working like that (btw that you have 2-3% to not get infected by bite is also kinda unrealistic, it's like this virus/bacteria is trolling you and playing god). And i don't think that traits can help you in any way. It's just flat % and i really don't like this.

1) a. show me an example of crawlers being bugged in build 32.27 or above. They've been changed slightly and, I'm a bit disheartened that, though people say they have issues, no one has posted a video of them being evil yet. 

Don't walk on the zombies, okay? You're just asking to get into trouble.

b. same as above, and provide the distinction of whether you're talking about sandbox settings or multiplayer

2) How can it be illogical if you don't know what the zombie pathogen is?

And we're back to "If you don't like it, change it."

1) a. show me an example of crawlers being bugged in build 32.27 or above. They've been changed slightly and, I'm a bit disheartened that, though people say they have issues, no one has posted a video of them being evil yet. 

b. same as above, and provide the distinction of whether you're talking about sandbox settings or multiplayer

This is on me but i have seen the Fast crawler species in MP only, shooting at a horde and then crawlers would be sometimes faster than a normal walking shambler or fast shambler, i would need to try it in Sandbox or in Survival to see if they appear.

Conceptually I'm ok with there being a chance of infection from any wound, the problem is the combat is a bit too glitchy to enforce that heavy a penalty. It's impossible in any video game to give you the level of control over a character you would have in real life (no game to date is capable of allowing you to independently control each limb simultaneously, which significantly reduces your combat effectiveness compared to real life). For that reason, you have to curb the damage penalty and project zomboid combat is even a bit "wonky" and limited compared to other games.

Not to mention the fact that most people can't use guns because they are so useless at lower level while still aggroing every zombie around and they are so rare that you usually can't find enough ammo to level up to where guns are useful before you die. 

1. I'm not playing on IWBUMS. Why? Because it's "i will back up my save". But i can say that i today i had situation where one crawler was crawling under foots of some zombies and another crawler made from fast zombies was really freaking fast, almost as fast as normal fast zombie, which really sucks, because we use legs to walk and not arms for a reason.

"so you don't know if they got fixed or not"

Yes, but going that logic people couldn't report bugs/talk about bugs if they don't play on IWBUMS.

"Don't walk on the zombies, okay? You're just asking to get into trouble."

Are you kidding me? Do i need to descripe whole figthing process in PZ and why you need to figth in the first place? I'm not going to anyway - just use your info and imagination of posible situations.

If i would "WALK ON ZOMBIES" i would be dead every first day.

"b. same as above, and provide the distinction of whether you're talking about sandbox settings or multiplayer"

"Something is unrealistic for you? You feel that it's buggy? Then don't freakin' use it! Best idea ever!! Just skip part of the game and try to don't die!"

It's literally what you're saying rigth now. And it was sandbox with default zombies btw.

"2) How can it be illogical if you don't know what the zombie pathogen is?"

If it isn't pathogen from alien world (and i really doubt it) then it can be. If your body can easily defeat the pathogen then any kind of disinfectant also should be able to do so. This is why they're called like this.

"And we're back to "If you don't like it, change it.""

No, we're back to "because you discuss things it means that you really hate devs, don't care about their opinion and want them to make WHAT YOU WANT". But you could talk about sandbox which is just stupid because.... You can't freakin' change how crawlers works. Or you was talking about mods which is even more stupid because players shouldn't need to mod every unbalanced/unlogicial thing (talking about too fast crawlers) in the game rather than say that there is something wrong with them in their opinion and hope that devs will (probably finally) make something to change it. It may be hard to understand but there ARE people that don't want/can't make their way into modding. I'm modder (weak, though... I made some mods in Rimworld and i'm mostly "doing random stuff" in code) but you really should consider what you saying right now. You want every people playing in PZ make mods rather than say something on forum.

I don't have a idea about what exactly you was talking about so choose one of my shit-talking...

P.S.

I think you don't try/fail to understand what someone is saying. It's like you read first words and post something about it. Actually i'm not saying about your post here - i'm talking about your posts in genera. I'm not saying only about myself. Also it's not because you mostly disagree with me, no, it's not because of that. It's because (just like taco, in my opinion) talk about things i don't even said or said in another purpose and you probaly knew that but you still used them in your advantage (in discussion, made your arguments the winning ones etc.). This kind of behavior really is really annoying in discussion, because it leads to many repeating what someone said.

P.S. 2

It's a late night for me so sorry if you can't even read what i'm saying.

Build 32.16 is too far gone at this point to provide useful feedback relating to crawlers. As I said, they've been changed in future builds.

You really need to learn how the

[quote][/quote]

tags work, as the way you currently break up conversations make them difficult to read and, at least in this case, make it appear as though you're trying to quote something I didn't say as my own words.

re: walking on crawlers:

Then you probably shouldn't have included it as an example, confusing your point.

re: logic

Who says your body defends against anything? For all you know the chance of infection isn't your immune system, but the chance your wounds will get contaminated with the zombie-itus.

re: being offended about sandbox

Then propose a sandbox option or request a mod (in the right forum) instead of getting upset. Do something productive instead of complain that your interests aren't being represented.

I want people to realise that the developers have their own vision of the game, and that we have four years of history as a community behind that. Eventually you may even have to accept that, hey, PZ might not be the game you want it to be. It might have different goals than your own or a different approach to game development that you don't like.

And you're wrong; You can disable infection entirely. Primitive, but you do have that option.

re: PS

No idea what this means. Appears to boil down to "if you don't agree with me, don't talk to me."

I've never personally attacked you and I'd recommend you look up the definition of that phrase before using it in the future.

Are you kidding me? Do i need to descripe whole figthing process in PZ and why you need to figth in the first place? I'm not going to anyway - just use your info and imagination of posible situations.

"b. same as above, and provide the distinction of whether you're talking about sandbox settings or multiplayer"

Dude, what do you mean of "Walking on zombies"? You mean the whole step on their head kind of deal when they are down? If so, you must realize that you only do that when you are fighting 1 or 2 zombies TOP and when the hit you do is not critical hit of some sort where you hit the zombie so hard you hear the blood splash but you still hear the zombie, that is when you get a crawler in melee which is the most rare form of crawler.

Other than that i never see my self walking on zombies or any other players walking on zombies while fighting them, dunno what you really mean in that case. 

But re-reading your post again it made me realize you are saying "if i would walk on zombies", why the hell would you do that?

If you do so, is balanced because you made the mistake of not checking if the zombie conga line is filled with crawlers, crawlers are suppose to be a "got ya now bitch" surprise moment for those who are not careful with downed zombies.

And yes i had the super fast crawler bug too in MP, but MP only, you are not the only one and is definitely a bug, but i been trying for a few hours now to reproduce the bug with FRAPS open to see if i can get it on video but no dice so far, instead of complaing about the bug, you should try to record the bug and show it in the bug tracker so you know in what situation (what gun, what game-mode) is the bug on.

"2) How can it be illogical if you don't know what the zombie pathogen is?"

If it isn't pathogen from alien world (and i really doubt it) then it can be. If your body can easily defeat the pathogen then any kind of disinfectant also should be able to do so. This is why they're called like this.

Why is this so hard to understand, we are facing a super-duper ultimate virus/bacteria/fungus/mind control parasite and the human body cant do SHIT against that badass motherfucker, shit might be like a evolved HIV for all we know dang it, is not hard to gasp.

When you you are using disinfectant, you are killing the stuff you kill now when you use alcohol on a wound, not the zombie virus, you will never be able to cure it or reduce a chance at begin infected period.

"And we're back to "If you don't like it, change it.""

No, we're back to "because you discuss things it means that you really hate devs, don't care about their opinion and want them to make WHAT YOU WANT". But you could talk about sandbox which is just stupid because.... You can't freakin' change how crawlers works. Or you was talking about mods which is even more stupid because players shouldn't need to mod every unbalanced/unlogicial thing (talking about too fast crawlers) in the game rather than say that there is something wrong with them in their opinion and hope that devs will (probably finally) make something to change it. It may be hard to understand but there ARE people that don't want/can't make their way into modding. I'm modder (weak, though... I made some mods in Rimworld and i'm mostly "doing random stuff" in code) but you really should consider what you saying right now. You want every people playing in PZ make mods rather than say something on forum.

Here is where i lose you, why complain about Sandbox, what do you want to change to the crawlers other than the bugs it has (hit-box, sanic speed)?

Those things are oblivious bugs, you need to report them, begin productive about it, show them with evidence that something is wrong and they will fix it.

The mod stuff comes in when people want something that is not in vision of the game the devs have but it could be cool to have it (kids, more guns, a cure or even making crawlers cease to exist), like you said not everyone can mod, but they can ask someone in the modding community to give them a hand to be able to do it, no need to get all hostile against those type of things.

P.S.

I think you don't try/fail to understand what someone is saying. It's like you read first words and post something about it. Actually i'm not saying about your post here - i'm talking about your posts in genera. I'm not saying only about myself. Also it's not because you mostly disagree with me, no, it's not because of that. It's because (just like taco, in my opinion) talk about things i don't even said or said in another purpose and you probaly knew that but you still used them in your advantage (in discussion, made your arguments the winning ones etc.). This kind of behavior really is really annoying in discussion, because it leads to many repeating what someone said.

P.S. 2

It's a late night for me so sorry if you can't even read what i'm saying.

Is because sometimes you write in a way that i simply cant understand your point.

Look at this:

What is the issue here? That they blend into the crowd is what i think, but then your real intention is here.

What the hell do you mean then? You dont walk on zombies or you do? If you would it means you don't but yet you freaking complain about it for some reason, you are complaing about crawlers merging into a horde for some reason, don't pull the realistic card because zombies give no fucks about realism in the way they move right now.

When i write something i try to explain it with the limited English i have, but you really leave a lot open to interpenetration, that is the main problem i have, also you are getting kinda unlovely, you need to chill a bit. 

Re: walking on crawlers.

Quote my words when i said that. I didn't. I said that zombies can walk on crawlers not that IM walking on crawlers.

Re: Logic.

Because "scratching" in PZ makes you bleed a lot i assume this isn't paper-like scratch or something. I think it's "someone tried to rip your skin off" kind of scratch and because of that i think there is almost 0% to not get infected from zombie if - for some reason that game don't talk about - skin of zombie/wound contact with meat of zombie can make you infected.

TLDR - finger of zombies would have a lot of zombie blood on them and becaue scratch in PZ is badass scratch that makes you bleed a lot there is almost 0% to not get infected from zombie if your body (or disinfectant) can't do shit about this pathogen.

Re: Sandbox

I think that devs have a brain and it's obvious that if players talk about things they don't like, they (devs) can solve this problem making sandbox option and i don't need to suggest that thing every time i'm talking about something.

That devs have their own vision don't make them gods that will not change their master plan. After all devs added some things suggested by community.

And you're wrong with this sandbox option. Being zombified is the most popular way of dying in PZ so if would disable that i can even disable zombies because they're not big deal. Afer this i can stop playing. It it isn't solving my problem and only adds more problems.

Re: PS.

You just doing things about i was talking about.

I've never personally attacked you and I'd recommend you look up the definition of that phrase before using it in the future.

[Happy now?]

Quote my words where i said that you personally attacked me. Again - you don't even try to understand what i'm saying or you just have a really big problems in understanding someone points in general. To be honest i don't even expected that kind of reply from you when i said that you're talking about things i don't even said. Ironic, because just did it after what i said.

Not talking about "don't agree with me, don't talk to me" part, because i also said it's not because you don't agree with me. There is a guy on the forum (i don't remember his name, it's start on C and he have newbie avatar but 700 posts) that have amazing abilities in understanding what someone is saying and even if he would disagree with me i wouldn't be upset/mad/sad or something because he understood what i said (and also what others said btw) and it's really one thing that i require in any kind of discussion.

@Taco

But re-reading your post again it made me realize you are saying "if i would walk on zombies", why the hell would you do that?

Do you even realized that i was replying to Enigma that said something about "walking on zombies" (like i said that or something... I really didn't) and then i replied to this non-sense? If you're going to blame someone blame him for talking about it in the first place.

When i write something i try to explain it with the limited English i have, but you really leave a lot open to interpenetration, that is the main problem i have, also you are getting kinda unlovely, you need to chill a bit. 

It's not my fault that Enigma left that part open to interpenetration in the first place. I don't had a idea about what he was talking about, this is why my reply was also unclear. He said this like i said something about that i'm walking on zombies and then getting bitten, when i was talking about zombies walking on clawlers. At that point i think it's Enigma fault rather than my that this part of discussion is really unclear.

I will make rest of my reply to your post tomorrow because i see already that you don't fully understand about what i'm talking about/to what i'm replying to. Sounds similiar, huh?

If you're talking about "walking on zombies" part then i explained it. If you're talking about general thing - all i can say is that it's due to my bad English or due to that Enigma is talking about things i don't said (and i don't even said a little bit of them) and the whole conversation is messed up. I understand not be able to understand someone but when someone is changing "crawlers crawling under zombies" to "don't walk on the zombies" (i'm using that same words that both of us used in their posts) then it's crearly just being too lazy to read something really carefuly.

Btw i don't understand that "bleach" thing. Do you mean that i said something and now i made a discussion from it etc.? Well... Then you blame me for someone replying to me. They don't need to do it in first place.

And my points here may be confusing because it's 4AM for me, but still - changing crawler stuff to me walking on corpses is really just a Enigma problem in reading.

If you're talking about "walking on zombies" part then i explained it. If you're talking about general thing - all i can say is that it's due to my bad English or due to that Enigma is talking about things i don't said (and i don't even said a little bit of them) and the whole conversation is messed up. I understand not be able to understand someone but when someone is changing "crawlers crawling under zombies" to "don't walk on the zombies" (i'm using that same words that both of us used in their posts) then it's crearly just being too lazy to read something really carefuly.

Btw i don't understand that "bleach" thing. Do you mean that i said something and now i made a discussion from it etc.? Well... Then you blame me for someone replying to me. They don't need to do it in first place.

And my points here may be confusing because it's 4AM for me, but still - changing crawler stuff to me walking on corpses is really just a Enigma problem in reading.

The bleach thing was an alternate form of the phrase "urinating in the wind", basically the more brutal your argument is the more it will come back to bite you. I'm saying that you shouldn't make those personal remarks about him not understanding.

I don't think he's being lazy at all, above all I think it is a little hard to understand anyone's intentions when it is through text on the internet. People question my sincerity all the time, but that's what you do on a forum board. It's just the way it goes.

I wouldn't shift the conversation to "he said this and I said that" because that never ends well for anyone, even if there was a misunderstanding.

Don't take this the wrong way but taking anyone's post personally at this point isn't doing this thread any favors.

Seems to be every single thread with you exactly the same Adamiks. You see something you personally don't like, and even though the majority of the community and the devs have said it's something they don't want in the game, you still think that just because you want it, they should drop everything and do it. You're welcome to give feedback, and we appreciate that, but when your feedback is "give me this thing you said you're never doing," forgive us if we don't have a lot of patience with you. You aren't entitled to have the devs build the game YOU want them to. They're building the game THEY want to build, and that the community as a whole wants. Not you.

Further, as I've mentioned before, Sandbox is not there so that the devs can add features they don't want to the game. Just because something could be added into Sandbox doesn't mean it should or will be. This is something this community as a whole needs to understand- even with Sandbox, the devs still are making the game they want. They'll give options there, especially ones that are just changing variables in the game, but they're under no obligation to add stuff that doesn't fit with their vision for the game to Sandbox. So no, you won't be seeing a cure or game saving in Sandbox no matter how much you beg, yell, or are rude to people.

And this is why you don't throw bleach in the wind.

+1000

On topic, I think that non-bleeding scratches should have a slightly less chance of infection since it didn't get deep enough to cause visible bleeding. I don't really have a problem if no change was made though.

I agree, when you think "Scratch" you think something that cuts barley the epidermis (papercuts are the most common).

However a human nail can cause more damage, but it requires a lot of force to reach the blood vessel under the dermis, still if a nail with zombie blood reaches the dermis, there is your 25% of infection, and if somehow a deep scratch reaches the blood vessel then that is the point where the heavy bleeding can take place and it could mean a higher chance of the infection. 

Well this thread went out of hand, lol

But anyway, for the game to not lower the currently existing random number generator, but at least put alternative numbers for specific injuries could make the game more relieving while also staying true to it's hardcore nature. Non-bleeding wounds are already fairly uncommon, so putting some bonus to it could help.