How could we make Project Zomboid a trend?

CatGuitarist

I have ice cream in my hands. You know what that brings in! It's another...

Useless Question that i should probably keep to myself!

Basically, my though is:

What if we turned Project Zomboid a trend? Just like Amnesia, or League of Legends!

You see, i have an idea for this, that just came to my mind with this video:

It's about how Flappy Bird has made so much popularity, about how PewDiePie changed this generation of gaming, and... Extra Chunky Pasta Sauce. Watch it if you haven't yet!

Did you watch it?

Now tell me, Do you think we could get a famous commenter to do a Project Zomboid walkthrough, make one of us do one, and by some way make it popular, or any other way?

If you do, what other ways do you think we could make Project Zomboid a trend?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about how Flappy Bird has made so much popularity, about how PewDiePie changed this generation of gaming, and... Extra Chunky Pasta Sauce. Watch it if you haven't yet!

Did you watch it?

Now tell me, Do you think we could get a famous commenter to do a Project Zomboid walkthrough, make one of us do one, and by some way make it popular, or any other way?

Enjoy his series, heard the whole pasta sauces theory before, interesting stuff.

Last sentence to me basically reads as:

Step 1. Make Project Zomboid Video

Step 2. ???

Step 3. Profit.

Sorry had to do it. :P

Nerdcubed was going to make a video, but never think it ever materialised.

Aside from that I get what you're wanting to do, but I mean really you can never predict when/how these flash in the pan sort of popularities go and last. You can't really force something to become a trend, I mean look at Twitch Plays Pokemon, and look how quickly that it's faded away. While I admit trends would be a boost in sales, they're usually just that shot of adrenaline before it goes back down to that steady sale rate.

I don't think that a trend of Project Zomboid should be manufactured, they usually ring hollow. If it did become a trend it should be done naturally.

Edit: Well shit, RoboMat summed it up nicely.

Well, Minecraft is a 3+ year old trend.

WoW is a 4 year old trend.

Many trends stay for a long time.

Edit : That goes from Robomat, you uploaded a second before i could. xD

Well, the thread goes mostly not to make PZ a trend, but how we could. It's mostly centered to the video and discussing how it could make itself a trend.

Well you can't really say minecraft is a 'trend' imo. Minecraft has generated a large fanbase over the years because obviously many people find it enjoyable and therefore play it.

While some people probably also enjoy playing FlappyBird it had its quick boost in popularity because of people like PewPewPie. After that is gone it will vanish from the scene.

You can't force a game to become popular by youtube videos / trends. Sure there will be people who buy the game because it is popular, but the question is how many of them will continue playing it afterwards. I think once PZ is more feature complete (mainly NPCs ^^) the fanbase will start growing naturally and if I'm not mistaken it constantly has been for the past couple of years.

A quick boost in popularity of course automatically means more money temporarily which would be a very good thing for TIS - the question is what would happen afterwards.

That's just my opinion.

P.S.: Good exposure already happens through people like twiggy, spazman (<3) and mathas who genuinely care about the game.

Realistically speaking, while big names picking up PZ and trying it out would be "good" in the overall sense of the word, it's not urgent right now.

Further, trying to manufacture an artificial trend can be a bit scummy, and if word of that kind of stuff got to 4chan or reddit gaming it would cause a pretty big stink that I'm sure the devs don't want. I also know they'd much rather stuff stay over-the-table, honest, and real. Can't go into details, but I know for a fact they've turned down dirty deals for quick popularity before. They're good guys.

I feel the game speaks for itself. Many people will stumble upon PZ on Steam as I did, then research. You do not need a massive community/fad-base like MC has to survive; Look at the Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 game for example. Games just need a true caring and commited fanbase, and people like myself who plan on being around for years and years to come.

And since when was PewDiePie credited with changing this gen of gaming ? He has actually turned me away from games to be honest.

And since when was PewDiePie credited with changing this gen of gaming ? He has actually turned me away from games to be honest.

Everyone has- and is welcome to- personal preferences. I'm not a big fan myself. However, one cannot deny that massive impact he's had on the industry. Sure, you could be pedantic and argue about the extent of the change but that's not really relevant. He has been hugely popular and that proves the point in the video.

Everyone has- and is welcome to- personal preferences. I'm not a big fan myself. However, one cannot deny that massive impact he's had on the industry. Sure, you could be pedantic and argue about the extent of the change but that's not really relevant. He has been hugely popular and that proves the point in the video.

As long as someone replaces him soon, preferably with a more serious tone, the industry will improve even greater.

Once the game becomes a little more user friendly (by this I don't mean easier difficulty, but rather easier to use) and a few promised features are released (thinking NPC's, horde migration, hunting/trapping/fishing, etc), and some general bug fixes, I'm confident that the game's popularity will grow organically.

I think if they made the game more user friendly in regards to managing your MP servers and characters, etc that it would help. Unless you have a decent understanding of wireless router settings, file pathways, and your command prompt, it can be a little difficult to fully take advantage of what PZ offers. The casual Steam gamer might not feel comfortable tweaking these things to be able to fully enjoy the game.

It isn't that it is particularly difficult, especially with the helpful and supportive community that PZ has, but it is rather cumbersome to host a server. Being able to do everything from the title screen in a simple GUI format would probably make things more intuitive for some users.  I also think having the ability to some how view servers that players make public from the title screen would be incredibly useful too. Currently a player needs to head to the forums and look for servers that they find interesting and that are currently up and running. Again this isn't particularly difficult, but cumbersome. It would be nice to be able to do that from the title screen.

Out of the 'box' PZ just isn't as intuitive to manage running the game as other titles. For most of us that are here on the forums, this probably isn't a problem, but the more casual gamer/PC user might be turned off by the necessary steps involved.

Know what I mean?

I'm sure these issues will be well ironed out in the near future. The game is only build 0.25c after all at this point.

It isn't that it is particularly difficult, especially with the helpful and supportive community that PZ has, but it is rather cumbersome to host a server. Being able to do everything from the title screen in a simple GUI format would probably make things more intuitive for some users.

Unfortunately this aspect of it is something that's very, very hard to do. It's something we might look into in the future, but as far as hosting a server from a home network goes, that has always been something that required some technical knowledge. Only recently are people coming up with ways to avoid this, and even those can open up your home PC to certain exploits if you don't know what you're doing. If you're interested in the more technical side of this I'd be glad to expand upon it. Otherwise, I mostly agree with your points.

As long as someone replaces him soon, preferably with a more serious tone, the industry will improve even greater.

I have to agree.

Though we can't deny the impact people like PewDiePie have on a generation of gaming, or the extent of that impact, we can argue whether the impact is positive or not.

I see it in much the same manner as the impact on Multiplayer First Person Shooter players that the more recent Call of Duty games have had. Yes, they've influenced what could be argued is an entire generation of gamers, but I recall a time when FPS's were fun, challenging and innovative. Now it seems you will only ever experience two of those three things in a 'modern' FPS

I may be showing my age a bit here, but fads and trends often die out as quick as they arrive - and when they don't, there is a shift to popularise them, and ruin/change/affect something that was previously quite alright.

I have ice cream in my hands. You know what that brings in! It's another...

Useless Question that i should probably keep to myself!

Basically, my though is:

What if we turned Project Zomboid a trend? Just like Amnesia, or League of Legends!

You see, i have an idea for this, that just came to my mind with this video:

Did you watch it?

Project Zomboid needs more time to be developed before it's shown off on that level

Though we can't deny the impact people like PewDiePie have on a generation of gaming, or the extent of that impact, we can argue whether the impact is positive or not.

Aye, I wouldn't argue this- but it's not relevant to the point the guy was making, though. Fact still stands that most of the most of the people are going to do what the popular 2.5% tell them to, and for the purposes of the argument PPD definitely falls into that category. That's all I'm saying. Never found his videos tasteful at all tbh.

To be honest, for a game to be trend worthy, it needs to have something innovative, which would surprise even the most hardcore of games, which PZ currently (hinthint NPC's and other thingamajigs) does not have.

Zombie survival games? Done before and are still being done and probably will be milked for a very long time by big and small corporations alike.

Isometric perspective? Unique and fun in it's own way, but let's be honest, with today's call of duty, first person, 360noscope, very short attention span generation it does not appeal specially to the masses. Nothing wrong in liking those types of games, but they all follow a general success formula.

Fortunately, the game is still in Alpha, meaning more room for improvement, and innovation.

What I'm getting from this conversation mostly is that trend, as it's understood here as a hype of sorts, is something that is sought after by many of the industries developers and owners. When it comes down to it I think that the seeking and creating of trends has become a trend itself in the modern day (starting probably from the 80's and climbing) and the thing about PZ is that it doesn't fall into that category, which makes it a breath of fresh air. To me at least I tend to gravitate to such elements in a game, music, films or whatever. I tend to notice the motive behind the development, sometimes more than the product itself. To me that's what makes the buy and it's usually the thing that makes the product last.

So to conclude, I agree with most here and say that a trend is not what TIS/PZ is going towards and maybe even shouldn't.

Well, Minecraft is a 3+ year old trend.

WoW is a 4 year old trend.

Many trends stay for a long time.

Edit : That goes from Robomat, you uploaded a second before i could. xD

Well, the thread goes mostly not to make PZ a trend, but how we could. It's mostly centered to the video and discussing how it could make itself a trend.

Do i really have to note this out again? PZ is in early development. It couldn't be a trend right now.