horde funding - you see what I did there?

iCount

I'm really angry with you, Indie Stones. Back in 2011 I bought a very promising game and it's getting better and better every update since. But ...

... just now I wasted my precious time browsing your website and writing this topic because I couldn't find any information on how to contribute further to the development of this brilliant game. Where is the "shut up and take my money button"?

Seriously though, I remember that you people had issues with piracy (yarrr) back in the days and reading the latest mondoids I got the feeling that your project is still a precarious one, even though Steam launch went well and sale are doing ok.

Here is the thing: what I hate about mainstream AAA-titles (premium services, day-one-dlc's, collector's editions etc.) doesn't necessarily apply to indie games. Therefore, I'd like to know, if there are any plans on micro-transactions, custom content, special editions a.s.o.

Also I'd like to know what you (Indie Stones and fellow survivors) think about that - maybe it's still too early to discuss this, maybe you don't like the idea at all ...

Otherwise I suggest that we discuss possible ways that encourage and appreciate financial contributions that exceed the purchase of the alpha and that can also be implemented technically.

PS: couldn't find the search button, sorry in case this has been discussed previously

the search button is the spying-glass in the upper right corner...

as for micro-transactions, and I'm just stating my personal view as a zomboid fan, I do not like em... games that offer microtransactions for items are mostly pay-to-win games...

If you mean microtransactions in case of funding and support then, i dont see no harm other then pressure and certain expectations that have to be met for the funds.

You can always buy more copies of PZ and gift them to your friends (fedora)

as long as the game is "free to mod", micro-transactions or similar are not compatible. so every "special contend" for extra money is useless, because you are always able to mod it anyway to the game.

there is some room for stuff like "name in game" or "your person in game", soundtrack, boxed stuff e.t.c. or a place in the credits.

I have to agree with Walther and Keen. Zomboid would not benefit from a micro transaction system. I for one dislike when a game suggests to me that if you give money, you can have this shiny new weapon that no one else can have without paying. It spoils a lot of the fun for gamers who have bought the game and see that they can't get it all because they can't afford extra payments. It's like here's a toy, but you can't have it.

If you truly just want to support the game developers you can do giveaways as many here have. But at the moment the thing TIS is selling is just the game. Nothing extra.

Your suggestion seems a bit like: I want to help but I need something in return. And there's nothing wrong with that. It just might be that it's not the way TIS wants to go about doing it.

Also welcome to the forums! Nice to have you with us!! (clyde) (clyde)

EDIT: to reply to Keen's there's more room for name in game etc. I disagree. They are already doing this with persons who have been helpful in the process. I would like to think that money isn't the driving force behind making this game, after paying rents and keeping them happy of course :D It's more a recognition that those people have dedicated themselves for the game and not simply invested money to have your name pop up, to say it bluntly.

PS. I do not mean to offend anyone with this. This is just my view of the situation and I can be wrong!! This is a pretty touchy subject and iirc has riled up emotions previously on the forums. Remember to keep it lovely :)

Thx for the replies everyone (since I'm a first-poster)!

If you mean microtransactions in case of funding and support then, i dont see no harm other then pressure and certain expectations that have to be met for the funds.

You can always buy more copies of PZ and gift them to your friends (fedora)

Of course buying extra copies is always a possibilty and I might even do that for one or the other friend of mine, but I was thinking about ways that espacially encourage people to support PZ who already own the game.

as long as the game is "free to mod", micro-transactions or similar are not compatible. so every "special contend" for extra money is useless, because you are always able to mod it anyway to the game.

I didn't thought about mods and their relation to that kind of payment system, therefore, good point. I agree that modding plays a vital part in the success of games that shouldn't be underestimated.

Your suggestion seems a bit like: I want to help but I need something in return. And there's nothing wrong with that. It just might be that it's not the way TIS wants to go about doing it.

Not necessarily. Instead of keeping content back from one part of the player base (which I dislike as well) I rather thought about possibilities to encourage further financial commitment that isn't necessarily connected to extra content. (PS: thx, next time I use it :) )

Nobody likes pay-to-win.

If you have extra money, I am sure accounts@projectzomboid.com will tell you how to give it.

I guess I got off the wrong foot. Let me explain: I'm not promoting P2W (I really really really hate P2W)!

PZ is not a F2P (free-to-play) game, therefore, micro-transactions that unlock (even aesthetic) content would be ridicoulus and unfair. I don't want that to happen.

Instead PZ is a P2P (pay-to-play) game (like most games :mrgreen: ). But since it's an indie game it can benefit greatly from further funding. If I buy extra copies for some friends that would mean, that they won't buy a copy themselves - maybe they would've never bought the game in the first place, maybe they would've. Point is, that there might be better ways to contribute to PZ.

Sure, I can write a mail and transfer another 10 bucks to the project - I don't need anything in return - but that's not the point. I totally agree, that the contribution of modders is fantastic and has to be acknowledged (like TIS is doing on their website) - but I'm not a modder, are you?

Here is an example (not a very fancy one, I know ;)) that illustrates what I was thinking:

... let's say you pay 10$: your name gets randomly assigned to one zombie per map loaded (f.e. "your name" appearing in the inventory menue when looting a corpse of that exact zombie)

... let's say you pay 25$: a street in muldraugh is named after you (f.e. appearing in small letters in the bottom right corner while walking over that exact street)

... let's say you pay 50$: you get your name in the "contributers list" in the credits (f.e. appearing after death)

I am highly positive there is a button on desura when you buy PZ from there with the name "Fanboy Edition" - basically, you buy the game for much bigger price, and get no "exciting additional bonus features" in return. That was put there primarily for people who want to directly support game developers with amount of money that is bigger than the price of a single copy.

Edit : Didn't read your latest reply, I think special perks like these might encourage people to support developers, but again, the word "support" kind of speaks for itself, after all, we don't want to have impression of Indie Stone begging for extra money by putting your name into the game :P

My response to this:

Here is an example (not a very fancy one, I know ;)) that illustrates what I was thinking:

... let's say you pay 10$: your name gets randomly assigned to one zombie per map loaded (f.e. "your name" appearing in the inventory menue when looting a corpse of that exact zombie)

... let's say you pay 25$: a street in muldraugh is named after you (f.e. appearing in small letters in the bottom right corner while walking over that exact street)

... let's say you pay 50$: you get your name in the "contributers list" in the credits (f.e. appearing after death)

Would be this:

EDIT: to reply to Keen's there's more room for name in game etc. I disagree. They are already doing this with persons who have been helpful in the process. I would like to think that money isn't the driving force behind making this game, after paying rents and keeping them happy of course :D It's more a recognition that those people have dedicated themselves for the game and not simply invested money to have your name pop up, to say it bluntly.

Of course, as someone with my name in the game already (without any particular monetary contribution) perhaps I'm a bit biased.

The other thing that's worth considering is that stuff like adding people names and all other forms of 'reimbursement' like that require extra time from the team, which slows down the development progress, which no one likes =\

If I recall correctly the Fanboy Edition buyers may have their names in the credits? I'm not 100% on this. But as Harakka said, if you want to help the devs that's the way to do it.

I am highly positive there is a button on desura when you buy PZ from there with the name "Fanboy Edition" - basically, you buy the game for much bigger price, and get no "exciting additional bonus features" in return.

Edit : Didn't read your latest reply, I think special perks like these might encourage people to support developers, but again, the word "support" kind of speaks for itself, after all, we don't want to have impression of Indie Stone begging for extra money by putting your name into the game :P

Thanks for the info, I never heard anything about a "Fanboy Edition" but that's something worth considering (until there is a donations button (clyde) )! I don't want TIS begging for money nor the impression of it either - that's one reason why I started the topic by myself. But lets face it: even if PZ is sufficiently funded future development stands and falls with sales.

Of course, as someone with my name in the game already (without any particular monetary contribution) perhaps I'm a bit biased.

The other thing that's worth considering is that stuff like adding people names and all other forms of 'reimbursement' like that require extra time from the team, which slows down the development progress, which no one likes =\

Once again, I don't want my name in the game I just thought: "Hey, how can people like me (who can't handle map/sprite editors, compile scripts, understand programming etc.) support the development? And how could that be implemented so more people want to step in?". I understand your bias but it's not like I'm a millionaire wanting to take all the credit away from people that spend their time and energy to create cool things like campfire or reload mod - I'm just willing to spend another $20 or $30 on a game that I have been playing for 2 years knowing that the developers worry about bugs and not their monthly rent.

Your urge to help and support the development of the game is commendable.

Any sort of microtransaction won't happen, though. "Your name as a zombie for 20 bucks" while it would be fairly easy to mod it in would be tacky as hell. And I feel a "donate" button would make it even more tacky when there is no real need to donate to The Indie Stone, as they are not suffering - "donate" makes it sound like it's charitable and for a good cause.

In the end, support the game by buying gift copies. Do giveaways. Put the word out there.

<3

what about merchandise?

spiffo t-shirts or stickers. i like that "nerd" stuff :)

This is probably the best suggestion. I would totally buy a spiffo t-shirt or stuffed animal.

It's not, though, because that costs them not only time but also money, so it's inefficient on top of everything else. As Nasko said, the best possible thing you can do is buy gifts for friends. If they enjoy it, they can buy gifts for their friends, etc.

what about merchandise?

spiffo t-shirts or stickers. i like that "nerd" stuff :)

This is probably the best suggestion. I would totally buy a spiffo t-shirt or stuffed animal.

It's not, though, because that costs them not only time but also money, so it's inefficient on top of everything else. As Nasko said, the best possible thing you can do is buy gifts for friends. If they enjoy it, they can buy gifts for their friends, etc.

Well, only they can say whether or not it makes business sense for them to do anything like that at this time. They'd have to develop the art assets and spend some money to initially create a small inventory, but the profit margin on individual sales of these kinds of items is usually quite high; think along the lines of $5 to produce a t-shirt or stuffed animal that sells for $20 or $30. It's possible that this sort of thing could even generate enough income to hire a part-time merchandise coordinator position, thereby ensuring that no development capital is spent on creating merchandise. There are already a lot of art assets created; it might not be too difficult to copy one of the Spiffo animations over to a t-shirt or coffee mug.

Again, this would require some work and it might not be the best use of their time, depending on their particular business situation. I agree that if you want to support the game, gift copies are the way to go. However, merchandise would create an entirely new revenue stream, and there are lots of people who might consider purchasing a t-shirt who wouldn't otherwise give that money to the company. Since PZ is a small game, it might not generate enough sales to be worth it, so there would be some risk involved, and I can't say for sure what the total initial investment would be.

I submit Left4Dead2 merch as an example: http://store.valvesoftware.com/index.php?g=5 - this is a huge game with a huge audience and a big development budget, so it would definitely be easier for Valve to see a good ROI from producing this merchandise, but this does go to show that it isn't the worst idea in the world.

All that said, like you and others have suggested, I think the best way you can donate to the developer right now is to buy some gift copies and give them to your friends. You can also help spread the word about the game. I did my part by writing a positive recommendation on Steam.

Worth mentioning that to get merchandise done from places like J!NX (or anywhere else, really) the profit margin gets smaller the fewer you buy. So, if TIS wanted a decent profit margin they'd have to order a TON which they not only might not have the capital for, but also might not be able to sell all of and get stuck with a loss.

There's certainly arguments for both sides, but I'm not sure now would be a good time to do it.

Worth mentioning that to get merchandise done from places like J!NX (or anywhere else, really) the profit margin gets smaller the fewer you buy. So, if TIS wanted a decent profit margin they'd have to order a TON which they not only might not have the capital for, but also might not be able to sell all of and get stuck with a loss.

There's certainly arguments for both sides, but I'm not sure now would be a good time to do it.

All true. You're probably right, I just think merch sounds better than some of the other ideas put forward. There's always kickstarter. But it probably would be a huge distraction from development.

The best thing any of us can do to help is get out there and generate publicity for the game. I've been talking about it to my gamer friends.

i agree to all too. selling merchandise contains a lot of work behind the scene.

to keep the idea on, maybe there is a charity way to do it. a community project - maybe someone has the knowledge with such things and likes to organise a charity sale. there can be a vote for 3 or 5 different items (spiffo pet, t-shirt, mug, sticker, etc.) which will be ordered in a fixed ammount. when the sale is done, we donate the profit.

christmas is comming :P