Hordes of zombies piling up on each other to climb over your defences

Tsambo

As mentioned in World War Z and/or the Zombie Survival Guide (which i know the developers are basing many aspects of the game on) zombies don't always need to destroy your defences to get to you. If they have the right mix of numbers and concentration on a little space of your defences, they can just pile up on each other and slowly swarm in your fortress like water over an overflowing dam!!!

I suppose almost everyone would love to see this implemented, but how hard is it to be done? I really hope the fun, terror and mechanics it would havefer to huge hordes overcome the difficulty to design it.

Also, i think, for the horde to fuction as i describe above, every zombie should follow other zombies' actions much more than they do now. I mean if a zombie sees another zombie following something or banging on a door, it should, more often than not, follow it and do the same. You know, to form a horde and come knock on your door.

What do you think?

I agree with zombies following other zombies and being attracted by other zombies doing things. My opinion on zombies climbing onto one another is illustrated by this picture:

helicopter.jpg

Slow zombies hardly have the strength to crack a window much less scale other zombies. And also the human body is not very sturdy to stand upon without turning into something that resembles fishpaste.

So in short:

Zombies mimicking other zombies I agree with.

Zombies scaling other zombies I disagree with.

(P.S. These are my personal opinions and should not be regarded as anything but.)

Well, Viceroy, you do indeed have a point that zeds have no brains to climb other zombies, but we are forgetting that they are so dumb they can trump over a zombie infront of them and, as it falls down, step over on it :P

if we take that in consideration, enough zeds pushing on your defenses (Talking about thousands here) will eventually lead up to them either pushing through the defense, or, if it's sturdy enough to hold, them climbing over each other and falling over the top of the defense.

And they won't be doing that like in World-WarZ movie, the "big amount of them" will be laid out like a very wide and long slope of fallen over zombies across each other. 

Don't think of it like this : "/|" (/ = zeds, | = blockade") , but more like this :  _ .,-=:'| (| is blockade, everything else - zombies).

A body can hold weight to a point. But if the weight is spread over a wide area then a stack of bodies is possible up to a point. But height has to be 1 to every 4 in ratio or more. To stop from falling over. As for world war z

they were more like 28 days later than zombies. In my opinion... And well the movie did not have a single gory scene in it.. Zombies working as more like ants and insects or some kind of hive mind...???? Mmm

I respecr your opinions but feel a pile of bodies would be possible to scale.

And also the human body is not very sturdy to stand upon without turning into something that resembles fishpaste.

Let's research that. For science!

Well, Viceroy, you do indeed have a point that zeds have no brains to climb other zombies, but we are forgetting that they are so dumb they can trump over a zombie infront of them and, as it falls down, step over on it :P

if we take that in consideration, enough zeds pushing on your defenses (Talking about thousands here) will eventually lead up to them either pushing through the defense, or, if it's sturdy enough to hold, them climbing over each other and falling over the top of the defense.

And they won't be doing that like in World-WarZ movie, the "big amount of them" will be laid out like a very wide and long slope of fallen over zombies across each other. 

Yes! That's what i meant with my deficient english! :D

After seeing it in the World War Z movie . . . I never want to see this happen. :D

Well a really awfull movie shouldn't discourage the developers to think about a seemingly plausible feature. Just my opinion about a really cool feature from World War Z the book or the Zombie Survival Guide (can't remember which one).

On the other hand that feature seems wasted (granted it is hard to design) and out of place if the developers want to keep things on a small scale with small maps and small hordes.

Piles of zombies spread evenly can press enough weight to push a wooden wall down. I mean the only thing supporting it is the dirt.

Zombies will push on other zombies and it's inevitable.

So a counter to buy time or add deterrence or additional defences are wooden walls with slits to let you 'stab' zombies with knives and spears, and supports to reinforce the strength of the wood so it doesn't fall over.

But zombies doesn't have real line of sight to you past a wooden wall, so in most cases they'll just navigate around it unless something spurs them to rush at the wall (gunshots).

Not a fan, for practical rather than lore-related purposes. Would take too many zombies to form a pile like that - a huge horde. Would take aaaages for it to happen with slow zombies, so would hardly ever happen at all - and never under a player's nose. Would take 90% of the zombies involved out of action, which seems a bit cheap. Others.

Nope. I don't want this.

I can't even almost picture how it would start, they would mindlessly stand there, not be climbing over each other.

And if they were trying to break the defenses they would spread out like they do already and bang on the walls.

No way do I want to see them scale walls, they aren't nearly coordinated enough to do that.

I think it could work, but only in specific circumstances. Like if there's a heavy ongoing siege and you're jamming sharp objects through holes in the fence to kill the zeds as they arrive. If it lasts long enough the bodies will eventually start piling up and the zeds will be able to crawl on top of them and flop over the fence like rotten lemmings. Would be a good reason to clear dead bodies away from the fences after each attack.

If you're thinking about the zeds purposely lying down and letting the others climbing on them, though, I don't think that really works. Gonna have to say no to that.

Would be a good reason to clear dead bodies away from the fences after each attack.

Nice, i hadn't thought of that at all!

If you're thinking about the zeds purposely lying down and letting the others climbing on them, though, I don't think that really works. Gonna have to say no to that.

Well i haven't exactly researched the physics of it but i believe they would just be crashed and not be able to get away, not just purposely lay down. But i am really speculating here and if you would insist on the above statement i don't have anything more to "throw at it" to rebut it. :)

So. This is another. "The Walking Dead has it, why can't PZ?"

Maybe that's because when it comes to zombies people can't actually reference real world events? And all they have to go on are depictions in film and television? Each with their own take on the reality of a zombie invasion? 

Or is there a point in history where a large group of people switched off their sense of self preservation and decided to play a 30 story game of human jenga? I'm not familiar with this phase in our history. 

Let's get one thing straight here; the movie is NOT World War Z. The end. ;)

And I doubt zombies could effectively form a 'tower' to reach any high locations. Physics just says no. Shambling zombies would stumble over each other, cause a mess, sure. But... they'd end up forming an impassible barrier, a wall of zombies. It would become too steep for new zombies to climb. Last time I checked, zombies can't climb. :P

maybe if you cut the sarcasm, looked 8 posts above yours, and learned which lore we are following here you would find an answer

I was already aware of the lore being followed. If you look a few posts up you will notice my post about feeling the influence of TWD.

The second post was written poorly, I meant to imply "They have (BLANK), why doesn't PZ?"

And while its fine to stream ideas from outside sources, most certainly nothing wrong with it, its when it gets to a point people use the lore of what they suggested to attempt to prove itself which doesn't work well, and its annoying to me.

Take my sarcastic humor however you want, but until I start insulting or offending for no reason, or just act like a dick in general, I will carry on with my forced humor.

And I doubt zombies could effectively form a 'tower' to reach any high locations. Physics just says no. Shambling zombies would stumble over each other, cause a mess, sure. But... they'd end up forming an impassible barrier, a wall of zombies. It would become too steep for new zombies to climb. Last time I checked, zombies can't cl

maybe if you cut the sarcasm, looked 8 posts above yours, and learned which lore we are following here you would find an answer

I was already aware of the lore being followed. If you look a few posts up you will notice my post about feeling the influence of TWD.

The second post was written poorly, I meant to imply "They have (BLANK), why doesn't PZ?"

And while its fine to stream ideas from outside sources, most certainly nothing wrong with it, its when it gets to a point people use the lore of what they suggested to attempt to prove itself which doesn't work well, and its annoying to me.

Take my sarcastic humor however you want, but until I start insulting or offending for no reason, or ust a dick in general, I will carry on with my forced humor.

And that's the good thing Silent. We know what lore they are following. They even use terms like "Proper Zombies" and I think that's the "George A Romero" style? (Correct me if I am wrong.).

The Devs have stayed pretty consistent. But lets face it, a lot of us are here because we like computer games and the zombie genre. So we are going to reference from a pretty wide (and totally fictional) data base.

Personally I not only like the the style of zombie they have made into the default - the whole "fast shambler" variety, but I love that I can tinker with them in sandbox mode. To suit my own tastes. And if they do actually go down the path of a "Walking Dead Weighted House Covering of Walkers" or a "World War Z Movie Leaning Tower of Zombies" (which I Really doubt they will. REALLY doubt.) then it'll be fine as long as those options are in the customization part of the sandbox.

I personally wouldn't switch them on myself. Last thing I need is a twenty foot tall pillar of zeds collapsing the 10 foot wall I just built.  :)  

And I doubt zombies could effectively form a 'tower' to reach any high locations. Physics just says no. Shambling zombies would stumble over each other, cause a mess, sure. But... they'd end up forming an impassible barrier, a wall of zombies. It would become too steep for new zombies to climb. Last time I checked, zombies can't climb. :P

Exactly because zombies can't climb well they wouldn't really form that wall of zombies you are saying, they would just crowd your walls and eventually fall and step and crash and trap each other forming a nice really gentle and ever growing and moving ramp until that ramp gets tall enough to swarm you or run out of numbers or lose interest. At least in my imagination. :)

Also, if you notice in my original post i wrote that they should also have the right "concentration" to do that "ramping". What i meant was that that "ramping" couldn't really happen if you built a fortress in the wide open, unless there are dozens of thousands of zombies. BUT, it could happen (again in my imagination) in the city, if you have a 3m wall erected between two buildings with a space of 10m (between the buildings). That would form a kind of a relatively long dead end and if hundrends or thousands (a large horde) of zombies were coming from that way and you happened to start shooting in your camp, that "ramping" could happen. :)

Take my sarcastic humor however you want, but until I start insulting or offending for no reason, or ust a dick in general, I will carry on with my forced humor.

my post was not even directed at you. relax.