Hordes of zombies piling up on each other to climb over your defences

Tsambo

maybe if you cut the sarcasm, looked 8 posts above yours, and learned which lore we are following here you would find an answer

I'm well aware of the lore thanks sfy. If you'd bother to check the post we were discussing things currently outside it. Would you like a minute to catch up? I'll wait for you. 

No one is arguing?

And to further up, I am not seeing some peoples posts on this thread, I don't know why.

Also zombies wouldn't just climb over each other if a pile got that big to form a "ramp" somehow on the very off chance they are going to just wander up it, at that point they would have forgotten what the hell they were even doing.

maybe if you cut the sarcasm, looked 8 posts above yours, and learned which lore we are following here you would find an answer

I'm well aware of the lore thanks sfy. If you'd bother to check the post we were discussing things currently outside it. Would you like a minute to catch up? I'll wait for you. 

again, please cut the sarcasm. it is not needed, and really not too welcome in here.

Be Lovely is the forum's "Official Unofficial" motto.

we don't do unlovely in these here parts.

Except maybe smearing zombie brains on the sidewalk.

Also zombies wouldn't just climb over each other if a pile got that big to form a "ramp" somehow on the very off chance they are going to just wander up it, at that point they would have forgotten what the hell they were even doing.

Nice point. I really think zombies in this game have EXTREMELY low attention span, which makes the game much much easier/not feeling hunted. It should be terrifying to attract the attention of a zombie. At this state of the game it's as dangerous as attracting the attention of a rabid hamster with the attention span of a goldfish! I think i remember in the Zombie Survival Guide that if you are not fit and in good health (well fed/hydrayted/not injured) a zombie could follow you until you collapse from exhaustion... and get your guts eaten while you watch...

we don't do unlovely in these here parts.

Except maybe smearing zombie brains on the sidewalk.

Nice point. I really think zombies in this game have EXTREMELY low attention span, which makes the game much much easier. It should be terrifying to attract the attention of a zombie. At this state of the game it's as dangerous as attracting the attention of a rabid hamster with the attention span of a goldfish! I think i remember in the Zombie Survival Guide that if you are not fit and in good health (well fed/hydrayted/not injured) a zombie could follow you until you collapse from exhaustion... and get your guts eaten while you watch...

I didn't mean it like this, a horde is dangerous and the memory is decent, but we have all accepted it would take a long ass time to pile zombies up to a ramp then for them on a good day to decide to shamble up the ramp only to fall on the other side.

it would get to a point the pile wouldn't form a ramp, wouldn't be able to be shambled up or climbed up in any manner.

Eventually say its a chainlink fence well eventually your either gone from the zombies or the others are blocking the view, the long it goes eventually they will hear a bird and wander off.

The whole premise of this is stupid and people want it so they can't just make a wall and be safe. Which is why its better that zombies banging on the wall for an hour to break it is a better idea then having them performance things some humans have issues doing correctly.

Also sarcasm is lovely, its just when you act like a dick about it.

Implement new directive: Hugs are now mandatory between all participants of this thread.

Failure to comply with the above directive will result in bans.

Spoiler
Or, to ruin the jest, cut the attempts to correct one another. It'll only lead to a reciprocal conversation that strangely resembles an argument. If a post bothers you, please don't try to be a moderator (we have to justify our keep!).

Implement new directive: Hugs are now mandatory between all participants of this thread.

Failure to comply with the above directive will result in bans.

Spoiler
Or, to ruin the jest, cut the attempts to correct one another. It'll only lead to a reciprocal conversation that strangely resembles an argument. If a post bothers you, please don't try to be a moderator (we have to justify our keep!).

Im a potato.

it would get to a point the pile wouldn't form a ramp, wouldn't be able to be shambled up or climbed up in any manner.

Eventually say its a chainlink fence well eventually your either gone from the zombies or the others are blocking the view, the long it goes eventually they will hear a bird and wander off.

The whole premise of this is stupid and people want it so they can't just make a wall and be safe. Which is why its better that zombies banging on the wall for an hour to break it is a better idea then having them performance things some humans have issues doing correctly.

Ok then.

So what do you all think about the attention span of the zombie. I didn't really even understand what silents249 thinks here...

I think they would be much more deadly with a little adjusting to their attention span and the conditions you have to fullfil to lose them. Maybe when they are moaning and growling at you, nearby zombies that hear the moan would recognise that someone of their own just found something interesting, most likely food, and follow the sound... It would add tons to the atmosphere. Just a little mistake can kill you and you are always hunted and in hiding.

Ok then.

So what do you all think about the attention span of the zombie. I didn't really even understand what silents249 thinks here...

I think they would be much more deadly with a little adjusting to their attention span and the conditions you have to fullfil to lose them. Maybe when they are moaning and growling at you, nearby zombies that hear the moan would recognise that someone of their own just found something interesting, most likely food, and follow the sound... It would add tons to the atmosphere. Just a little mistake can kill you and you are always hunted and in hiding.

The attention span is they desire to eat. Or whatever the hell they are doing.

They see meat, they get meat.

Sounds and other things attract attention from whatever they are doing normally.

Other zombies "should" alert others nearby but shouldn't keep causing more to show up since every zombie in the game would eventually pile up into one area from hearing the big ass horde in town.

Its a lot more likely as the long process it would take to make a ramp (which they couldn't wander up anyway) they would eventually just lose interest or find something else they fancy.

I want the ability to wait out an invasion to some extent. But then again maybe I don't. I wish for the day my home is invaded honestly. (4 months)

Other zombies "should" alert others nearby but shouldn't keep causing more to show up since every zombie in the game would eventually pile up into one area from hearing the big ass horde in town.

Oh a really good point to put an end to my superaggroing zombie fantasies!

Maybe the zombies should have 4-5 different "characters". From highly "social" which follow other zombies' movements and explore and hunt and form hordes to lurkers which pretty much just lurk and wait for really awesome stimuli to get going for a while and then lurk again. In that way we could have both small or/and large deadly hordes wandering and overaggroing and in the same time lurking zombies infesting everything!

Now i know that the above suggestion is probably hard to design and probably insanely hard to ballance and make it work as intended over a big in game time interval like 10 years. I am just throwing it out there. I also can guess that some portion of the above suggestion is allready designed because i can see wanderers and lurkers and mini hordes, but i can't know how much and if those hordes aren't just scripted for now.

On the other hand balancing the zombie behaviour maybe so hard and not rewarding that just scripted hordes randomly spawning on the edge of the map, wandering, sticking together and not splitting nor forming larger hordes maybe the way to go.

edit: I am really having fun with all that speculating and suggestions...

439c98f88fd83a9b959941de0ad6849fce3674fa

In the book WWZ the zombies' moaning was used to summon other zombies. It would create a chain reaction that could attract zombies for miles. Most human strongholds were eventually surrounded by moats of zombies numbering in the tens of thousands. A wooden wall or chain link fence would not hold up to the pressure of that many bodies pushing against it.

Well my 2p is this.

If there were enough Z's it's quite likely they could cause a fence or a door to be forced open just by the pressure of numerous zombies behind them. That is if we're talking hundreds.

So let's work on that. Let's talk numbers. Let's say there are 3000 Z's and they all know you're inside a building. You've knocked out the stairs and locked all the doors downstairs.

Now the Z's would either beat the door down or it'd be forced upon by the weight of the numerous Z's behind it.

For those outside that are still aware that there is food inside might get to the wall and try hitting that. Now if I've understood the previous posts correctly it's not unreasonable to suggest one of the Z's becomes unbalanced or is knocked over by the others.

It's then possible a another Z would come along and stand upon him. The question is, how high would this become before the 'structure became unstable. It certainly would be anywhere as high as something from the movie.

But as I try to visualize this, it would depend on the amount of zombies. If you had many thousands, like a city worth and they were all hungry and agitaited enough to come to one location I can't see why not.

They can't form structures but they'd not have to. They'd eventually fall over and others would pile on top. If the numbers were large enough I think they might even manage to scale larger (2 or 3 story buildings) if there were enough.

These are just my opinions. I mean no harm!

I think something like this would only be a real threat during an active siege with survivors defending the wall and killing the zeds as they arrive through holes in the wall. Eventually the bodies will pile up and spill over, resulting in a ramp of dead bodies that could presumably be crawled on top of and used to flop over the top of the fence like a bloated, undead soccerball going into the cranky old neighbor's yard.