Blacksmithing

Nightmaster

I have see a lot of post here about the inability of crafting objects made of metal so my sugestion is to add the option of Blacksmithing into the game.

The player would need to recycle metal objects by using some sort of improvised forge (or even a real one if he finds one) made of propane tanks, torches and a hammer.

The point will be that since he cant mine ore in KY (I have yeat to find iron ore mines in the area by google) to smelt it into what he needs, he will need to smelt whatever metal he finds to produce nails, blades and all sort of things.

Coal could be added to the game easily by simple allowing to use logs (there's plenty of trees in the game) to produce it. That could be a solution to the absence of propane tanks.

Just my two cents.

Blacksmithing has been mentioned MANY times before, so please search what you are posting about before you post, as it may have already been suggested.  :)

I mean it's a great idea, and I'm pretty sure the devs will look into it, but they may not, because of the 'Ordinary Joe' policy. Still, If the character can build a fort, why not blacksmithing?

This thread again. I'll say here what I've said in a lot of others. Blacksmithing is a highly skilled and highly complicated process and I'm not sure it would even be possible to learn under current conditions. So many metals out there are made of alloys of varying mixes and finding something that can actually be used to forge and is common enough for you to learn HOW to forge with it would be next to impossible.

About the only thing you could find that would be common and easy enough to learn how to forge is copper, and it's not exactly a weapons grade metal. I could see people using it to forge basic tools to use in professions and other crafting, but not much else.

I would, however, love to see a generalized metal crafting profession. While the fired forge and anvil scenario is highly unlikely to occur, a basic system for crafting simple metal goods would be alright. Using tools and objects like files, pliers, metal cutters or rough stones you could take small amounts of metal and shape it into various useful items. Stuff like arrowheads and spearheads for combat or hooks for fishing. Maybe small shivs to replace broken knives when it comes to crafting recipes that require something for cutting, carving, or butchering. It'd be difficult and time consuming, but I see it as overall more realistic than players becoming old timey smiths with forge and anvil.

I agree witj Kajin. I'm against it. Too complicated and practically nobody now has any knowledge about it.

Anybody can coat door with metal sheet or use book to learn how to made knife from pipe.

I think they mean they're against the idea of smelting and such; i.e. melting down metal objects and casting new shapes, etc., not using metal objects in barricades, crafting primitive weapons, things like that. Which I agree with...I don't expect that many people could pick up metalworking on the fly and run a forge, but if you give Joe an evening and an empty house, he can probably figure out how to fasten that sheet metal over the window with some screws.

How is blacksmithing more complicated than being a doctor? If the archaic term is the problem, then call them metal fabricators...

I think ingame doctors won`t be able to perform a surgery because the lack of an emergency room, in the same way, if we ever`ll have a blacksmith profession, they won`t be able to melt metals, in part because what Kajin said, there are to many items made of diferent alloys

What i want to know, just because we are talking about metals, what do you think about soldering? It`s not complicated at all, it`s more common, and it would be useful to craft metal frames and things like that. What i really don`t know is, is it possible to run a soldering machine  (or whatever it`s called, english`s not my native language) with a fuel generator?

How is blacksmithing more complicated than being a doctor? If the archaic term is the problem, then call them metal fabricators...

Backsmithing isn't more complicated than medicine, just far rarer. There are millions of doctors and nurses all over the world today, and maybe a handful of blacksmiths. Sure, millions of people do metal working, but most of that is automated at this point. There are plenty of people who still make things the old-fashioned way, but they are few and far between.

I do agree there needs to be a way to make or reclaim nails. I've seen suggestions where we can take apart things like doors and bookcases without smashing them with a sledgehammer. It would take longer but would yeild some usable materials.

What i want to know, just because we are talking about metals, what do you think about soldering? It`s not complicated at all, it`s more common, and it would be useful to craft metal frames and things like that. What i really don`t know is, is it possible to run a soldering machine  (or whatever it`s called, english`s not my native language) with a fuel generator?

Welding machines can run off of generators. You can actually get work trucks outfitted with both, it acts like a mobile welding shop. If sheet metal and tube steel became available in-game welding would be possible. Might have to change "carpentry" to "building" or "construction" so they could share the same skill.

My suggestion of blacksmith was more on the lines of "metal working"

I know that nowdays very few people know how to forge metal objects the old way, but there are many that know how to work with metal using welders, soldering irons, grinding wheels and such.

Even basic smelting is possible and easy with the right tools and molds and although the final product will not be of high quality because of the diferent alloys used today (or by 1980) one can easily craft nails, blades of all sizes, bars and even archaic armor to defend himself from the zeds.

The point is to give players the possibility to work metal and recycle the metal you find on the game world for other uses.

I did some quick research and making a backyard forge wouldn't be that difficult as it turns out. Making the actual smelter would require some specialized parts, and a constant fuel source like propane tanks. I think the rarity of fuel would balance it out nicely. I don't want to be able to make a full suit of armor, but melting forks and stuff to make nails, basic knives, and ax heads would be cool. Probably best as a mod.

Melt wedding rings into a golden crown.

YES!!! PZ Game of Thrones!

I will be known as the King of the Seven Kingdoms of Kentucky! I shall smelt an Iron Throne using the axes, golf clubs, and butter knives of my fallen enemies. My reign will be violent, merciless, and likely very brief.

YouTube videos make things look easier than they are. Smelting isn't easy. You probably saw a video of a guy with a blower system, probably melting down tin.

People aren't forearmed with the knowledge of what to do and how. Further, most metal doesn't have a melting point as low as tin. Even if you somehow manage to melt down sterling or stainless silverware, what are you going to melt it into? How are you going to cast it? Do you know how to appropriately cool it so it's not completely brittle?

I don't mean to e a buzzkill, but this isn't stuff people know. It took our ancestors thousands of generations to figure out casting metal. If you're not prearmed with that knowledge it will take you just as long.

Far fetched it might not be, but nigh impossible it still is. There are no books on how to learn how to do it. There is no one to teach you how to do it. Learning through trial and error would be time and resource consuming to the extent of not being worth the effort. Especially not if there are other ways to get what you need.

Why go to the effort of forging nails for construction when you can just make rope, cord or glue from naturally available resources? Need a hammer? Carve a small mallet out of wood, it'd work just as well. Need an axe? Make one out of stone or break and grind a piece of metal into the desired shape. It'd take less time and effort than trying to melt the metal down and forge it into the shape you need. Need a knife? Same as above, it'll get you what you need.

I've been burned by YouTube several times, making things look really easy when they aren't. I found a couple of articles about DIY metallurgy, it is possible though difficult. A smelter would be difficult to make from scratch, and would require several new loot items in-game. I support deconstructing stuff to get nails, using a hammer and screwdriver. Metallurgy would be best as a mod, not added to vanilla PZ. I'd rather the devs spend their time optimising the game and getting big features added.

But I still want my crown.

As someone who personally knows an actual Blacksmith I'd have to agree it's far, far more difficult than it sounds. There are a LOT of things you have to know, like how to build a forge (this is the least complicated step as almost anyone would be able to with info gotten off the internet), what items are suitable to melt down (you don't want to work with alloys, usually once they're forged it's way too much work to turn them into something else), and what tools you need and how to get or make them. I don't think it'd make a good addition but a generic metalworking skill or job, sure. It's not hard to repurpose existing metal objects and turn them into something else.

Welding is also a skill that's fairly easy to pick up with a bit of practice and depending on the metal(s) you're working with it could be done with something as simple as a propane torch, but as has been mentioned already it's not impossible to find stick or wire welders that could be run off the soon to be added generators.

this is the least complicated step as almost anyone would be able to with info gotten off the internet)

Keep in mind two things, here:

A) This game doesn't take place present day. The internet may or may not exist in this time period, but it would be in a much, much rougher and less filled out state than today, and

B) Power goes out shortly after the game begins, and also the government may have intentionally cut communication inside the quarantine zone

We can't really count the internet as a resource for the purposes of game systems.

this is the least complicated step as almost anyone would be able to with info gotten off the internet)

Keep in mind two things, here:

A) This game doesn't take place present day. The internet may or may not exist in this time period, but it would be in a much, much rougher and less filled out state than today, and

B) Power goes out shortly after the game begins, and also the government may have intentionally cut communication inside the quarantine zone

We can't really count the internet as a resource for the purposes of game systems.

I wasn't really suggesting having the internet added, just that the information is out there if you look for it. You could also find books about smithing at a library which is perfectly feasible for any time period.

I get what you're saying, and agree to a certain extent, yet I feel someone with an aptitude working with his hands, could at least figure out how to make ax blades, hammers etc. Not crafting nails makes sense, but I do feel the wooden dowel mod should be added to vanilla