Favourite Cheese?

Avenger

I like Brie. It's soft enough and if I use it with something like crackers I can't taste the slight after taste. :P As you can probably tell I'm not a real friend of cheese. I don't like anything strong and I hear that's often the point.

For favorite I'd choose gouda, the older the better. Mature cheddar is also lovely, preferably the sort that melts in the mouth and is a bit crumbly. There a great Dutch smoked cheese, Westland, wonderful for snacking on. Feta and chunky cottage cheese go great with fresh salads.

Couple of Finland-specific cheeses I love are Valio's Ritari (a strong, crumbly Tilsiter-style cheese), Mustaleima (a 9-month matured strong Emmental) and Aura (very creamy blue cheese). Aura is great in dips and on pizzas and other things wot go in the oven. And of course the Finnish specialty, leipäjuusto, which I hear is somewhat similar to the cheese curds used in poutine. Try it if you ever have the chance, it is probably not what you expect from cheese. I don't get why it's always recommended with cloudberry jam though, I don't think the two tastes work together at all.

In general find many Finnish cheeses to be excellent. In particular there's tons of great Tilsiter-type smooth creamy cheeses. Probably because of the abundance of high quality cow's milk. We consume massive amounts of milk products in general.

I really, really like cheese, in case you couldn't tell.

Also this should be in general discussion.

I do quite like Gouda myself, definitely in my favorites list.

White cheddar, while not exactly a "classy" cheese, I find goes well with a lot of simple things and is delicious.

Having been to Italy once and toured the countryside pretty much with the sole intent of eating local food, I'm also a big fan of most/all Italian cheeses. I like the common ones- real aged parmesan is great, asiago, etc. and I also just love getting the chance to try many of the less common ones; can't really find the majority in America, though.

I've mild turophobia, which means literally fear of cheese, but is in my case more of a irrationally strong revulsion to cheese. Interestingly I don't mind it when cheese is used as a pizza topping or something, but then again, phobias are irrational in nature. It's also not all cheese. I like feta for example.

I do enjoy parmesan quite a bit (I would pour the plain, grounded version into a bowl and eat it with a spoon when we were having spaghetti!)

Maasdam cheese and Mozzarella are quite nice. I do enjoy a nice bit of blue cheese here and there, although I think I prefer it cooked into a creamy, delicious dip. 

I also love Swiss fondue. 

I am a cheese fanatic after all. :lol:

while i will always choose Swiss as my go to cheese, i do also enjoy a bit of Havarti now and then, maybe a nice medium or sharp Tillamook brand Cheddar as well. Parmesan is certainly a good cheese as well, when used in its proper setting.

surprised no one has done this yet, but this thread is absolutely dying for this video

Archived