RIP Wall

RegularX

Searched, did not find - so sorry if this is an old one.

When I've done a particularly good run / game - it would be great to save the name, # of kills, time survived and a quick ad hoc description of how they finally bit it in the end to save for prosperity.

Update

Lots of good suggestions comng up in the thread.  Wanted to add the realization I just had that it would be great to add screenshot(s) to the memorial to help tell the "story".

There aren't more people who would like this implemented into the game? lol

I for one think this would be a good idea, but ONLY if the "how you died" thing was implemented. Otherwise it'll just be a stat. Having the "how you died" info and maybe other things such as friendliest NPC, and most hated NPC (when NPC's are back) would make the RIP wall more than just a wall of highscores/stats.

here is my wall!

Lunis Bloodmoon 6months 2weeks

Died When his farm was eaten by zombies(or just Vanished) he ran out of food and grabbed his shot gun to go out in a blaze of glory killing 789 zombies in his last stand.

Last Words: Am i living in groundhog day! O well time to Kick Bubblegum and chew some ass!

Lunis Bloodmoon 8months 1 day

Died When his farm was eaten by zombies(or just Vanished) he ran out of food and grabbed his shot gun to go out in a blaze of glory killing 581 zombies in his last stand.

Last Words: Shouldn't have eaten that watermelon. O My god a horde of Justin Biebers! DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lunis Bloodmoon 4months 2weeks 4 days

Died When his farm was eaten by zombies(or just Vanished) he ran out of food and grabbed his shotgun and pistol to go out in a blaze of glory killing 1703 zombies in his last stand.

Last words: Where o Where has my potato crops gone o where o where can they be!

A few unimpressive Games in between figuring out new build.

Lunis Bloodmoon 1year 11months 3weeks 2 Days(2.9.8c)

Died When he fell off his fort at the Farm :(.

Last words: where is that floor tile i couldn't build?

Lots of deaths before this none of note.

Cant remember my pre 2.9.8c build characters didn't play alot back then.

Notice the recent cause of death i really need 2.9.9.11 so i can try to break my record.

A wall as a menu item with your old characters time lived zombies killed and a editable last words would be cool.

"Forrest Gump survived 3 years, 6 month, 2 weeks, 1 days and 15 hours. Died of run without stopping"
Last words: Je-nny...

Bad joke, easypeasy~ (clyde)

I preferred to be statistics in main menu, with the "how you died" obiously! ("Dick Goldstone survived 1 day. Died of scrath in the groin.")

I don't know if I would support this... Maybe only if you were in a group of survivors, they could make a gravestone or something. But if you were a loner (murderer) and had no group, no one would care to make any type of memorial for you.

I could see this built into the game in place of a Top 10 High Score screen like we use to get on arcade video games. It'll be based off of survival time.

In fact, PZ is some sort of a rogue-likish game, it MUST have a Highscore/RIP-Wall/deceased history.

I love history. Especially in computer games, where you're able to write your own. That was the only reason, why i dug in dwarf fortress last year.

I could see this built into the game in place of a Top 10 High Score screen like we use to get on arcade video games. It'll be based off of survival time.

Yeah, I was thinking that on death - you'd get a prompt to save to wall.  Add a note ("Killed the three zombies I saw, not the one behind me").  Days/Hours survived and kills would be noted.  Some of the "died by" might be possibly automated, too, I guess.

I'm not for it. The game should be about the story focusing on the survival (and death) of your character rather than the attempt to beat a score of a previous player.

For Last Stand mode, I suppose It'd make sense, but not in the vanilla game.

I agree with Enigma, but for last stand +1

I'm not for it. The game should be about the story focusing on the survival (and death) of your character rather than the attempt to beat a score of a previous player.

I actually didn't read it as a scoreboard (though re-reading I see it now), more a record of past character listed in order of death (most recent dead character first). More a memorial of past stories. Perhaps even end game one could put a 'final words' on their character before it's recorded and preserved. Display basic information, (survived for, killed zombies, looks, favourite weapon, favourite food, states at end, friends, enemies, etc) no totaled score or anything. Perhaps a rundown of events that have happened in this characters life-span. Basic things like 'this character was attacked and scratched' 'helicopter roused zombies on ---'. or even if they implemented a journal crafted using a blank book and pen players could make logs as they survive and that log would be the players story that can be read on the records when the player finally dies.

Ok so maybe I got a bit carried away with that... actually I'm gonna flesh it out more and post another suggestion myself ;). I like the idea of a journal.

I would be against a scoreboard, last game I played with a scoreboard people just kept playing games for the most points always doing the same thing over and over. Then boasting about how good they are because of their massive score.

There is still some kind of scoring in the game: How much days you have survived. To be honest, if wasn't such a feature in PZ, i had no interest to play it longer than an evening and probably i hadn't bought it. First time i died, i thought, "wow, lets see, how long i make it this one!" A permadeath game could be unsatisfying for many people, if you can't really it compare with your previous actions. And whom hurts, when you compare it with only yourself? Always remember the dead, and a "Graveyard" can help to remember you for a good char. And statistics are in the game, too. Why should all that forgotten, when you die?

Sometimes, these little details keeps people playing a game for a long time (at least for me :P)

I actually didn't read it as a scoreboard (though re-reading I see it now), more a record of past character listed in order of death (most recent dead character first). More a memorial of past stories. Perhaps even end game one could put a 'final words' on their character before it's recorded and preserved. Display basic information, (survived for, killed zombies, looks, favourite weapon, favourite food, states at end, friends, enemies, etc) no totaled score or anything.

.+1

I actually didn't read it as a scoreboard (though re-reading I see it now), more a record of past character listed in order of death (most recent dead character first). More a memorial of past stories. Perhaps even end game one could put a 'final words' on their character before it's recorded and preserved. Display basic information, (survived for, killed zombies, looks, favourite weapon, favourite food, states at end, friends, enemies, etc) no totaled score or anything.

This is what I was (trying) to say! I don't want the RIP wall to be a scoreboard. I don't think Project Zomboid is a game about having the most zombies killed, or the longest survival time; it's more of a game about the experience you have.

If an RIP wall is to be included it should include basic information as TinnedEpic said, and just for safety purposes not be categorized by "time survived" on default. Having it sorted that way will insinuate that the purpose of the game is to simply live for a long time. (say hello to the many players idling in their houses, reading books, going outside only to tend to their garden and collect from the rain barrel)

Maybe some people like to idle in their house, aim for the highest time, but I don't want any new players to be mislead into thinking the only goal of the game is to "live" and do things like that.

I like the idea of a RIP wall if the characters are listed in order of playthrough date and nothing else.  I agree that it shouldn't be an encouragement to get a "high score", but having a main menu option where you could look at the names/traits of your previous runs would be a cool feature for me.

Heck, if we're too worried about it being a "score" thing we could remove the number of zombies/people killed and just leave it at the name, some basic stats, how they were killed (in terms of mechanichs - infected, fell to their death, bled out, etc.) and maybe a 50-100 character message that you can leave with that entry, written at time of death.

I personally don't care how many zombies I've killed so a system like this would suit me just fine.  Other people might want a number tally, though I think the devs have spoken against adding any kind of kill counter to the game.  I'll go look.

Edit: I don't see it mentioned in The Big Nos thread, so I might be imagining that last bit.

There already is a kill counter - on the info screen with days/hours survived.

I agree in general - story/narrative first, hence the "Died while sleeping in a field" kind of note.  But maybe it's the old stats geek in me, I do like the other information.  Days lasted.  Zombies killed.  Heck I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.  Miles walked.  Overall injury.  I do kind of think of "Days survived" as the closest thing to a score the game has - but it's really more about painting a picture of the what happened in general.

Other people might want a number tally, though I think the devs have spoken against adding any kind of kill counter to the game.  I'll go look.

There is already a killcounter in, for zeds and survivors -.-

I don't really understand the "fear of people playing the game just for score and don't understand how to play the game really". I think, different people are differently motivated to play a game. So, under this circumstance, you wouldn't win scorehunters as possible customers?

Beside this, isn't the ultimate goal, to survive long as possible in this game?

Edit: Lol