Uses for tooth paste, soap, etc.

unmog

Now, before I start I know in the commonly suggested threads personal hygeine was said to be a no. But I dont think this really qualifies~ it's close don't get me wrong, but not exactly the same.

See the idea is maybe occasionally if you DO brush your teeth or comb your hair or shave or clean yourself or use any of those other toiletry items that you could help your stress or unhappiness levels some. Maybe changing and washing your clothes with bleach or soap occasionally could as well. Now to keep it from being abused it'd probably be a limited times per use sort of thing, like once a day or something.

Now I know a bunch of you just asked yourself "Isnt that the same as making personal hygeine?" I don't think so. Im not suggesting adding a "dirtiness meter" or a "go to the potty bar" or anything like that, Im not even suggesting our clothes visually get torn or dirty [which would still be cool] I'm only saying since these items are already in the game, like soap and towels and razors and tooth brushes etc etc that we be able to use them. Maybe the items could have a limited number of uses, like a tube of tooth paste being able to used maybe 20 or 30 times, or a bar of soap being able to be used a limited number of times... the same as pills and bleach. And if we use them, to say brush our teeth, it would positively effect related stats concerning our mood like reading a book, the same as eating a cooked rat or dogfood negatively impacts us. We wouldnt even need to specifically bathe or anything, we could just right click "wipe down" by a water source and a rag to use some of it just like we do when we drink.

Like I said, I know it's a close line towards including hygeine, but I think its different enough and simple enough to do it should at least be considered, don't you? In my mind its not that different of cooking your food instead of eating it raw. Its more about being human and civilized, and doing certain things like cleaning is rather enjoyable, and relaxing for many people. In fact I know Id get a sour mood too if I was stinky and covered in dirt and running around in blood stained gorery clothes and I hadnt evened bothered to wipe myself off after weeks, months and so on. So it also makes sense that cleaning yourself off occasionally might make someone feel better, and I know a lot of people would eventually feel better if they could shave. Though it would be cool if men grew beards now that Im thinking about it...

Yea thats what I figured they meant, but since there were items related to hygiene I wanted to specify that what I was trying to suggest wasnt like the sims. I really hope it does get implemented then, we could use more ways to combat negative moods. Plus I think it could also help in dealing with NPCs whenever they get implemented. :)

I've always thought it'd be cool to give some of those useless items a purpose, even if it was for a very small and temporary boost. Whilst I agree with TIS that hygiene could be more of a micro-management nightware rather than creating immersion, I think bathing and brushing teeth could play an interesting part when establishing relationships (once NPCs are reintroduced).

Yeah, I wanna play with building blocks.. Or cards.. Restorative play. I'd most certainly use soap or toothpaste just for the hell of it, if it were enabled. I can see your point. Small benefit to sanity.

Sidenote:joking; I'd hate to see that "slightly insane" moodle pop. Where do you go from there..

The deck of cards and yoyo is another good point, Im currently fiddling around [more like a monkey plugging different shaped blocks into wrong shaped holes] with some of the games files to let me use playing cards and the yoyo to remove a bit of boredom, you know as a more reusable form of books that seem to disappear into the ether whenever I use one.

The deck of cards and yoyo is another good point, Im currently fiddling around [more like a monkey plugging different shaped blocks into wrong shaped holes] with some of the games files to let me use playing cards and the yoyo to remove a bit of boredom, you know as a more reusable form of books that seem to disappear into the ether whenever I use one.

In the Hydrocraft mod you can "Play with" all toys to improve your Happiness and reduce Boredom.

• 1 year later...
On 3/28/2015 at 11:54 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

That's more or less what's planned, as far as I know. Small bonuses for little actions.

Hygiene, in the case of the Common Suggestions thread, relates more to the kind you see in the Sims.

Ah ok so it's more of a "no" on sims-like micromanaging personal hygiene? Ah ok cool , yeah as long as they're positive effects, but no "negative effects" that'd be good. Only thing i'd say that gives a negative effect is not washing your clothes or something when you get infected blood on yourself. That should keep with immersion, and at the same time dodge the things that take away from Project Zomboid's main game.

After the last Mondoid I'm actually wondering if there will be a reason/ability to shower and/or clean up in the future. Not only would it at least be nice to have for the simple reason of cleaning your character of blood for looks and no buff but I could see it having a social influence as well.

For example, if your character is covered in blood and dirt, wandering out of the darkness. It may cause the people (NPCs) you run into not to trust you or be caught a bit off guard and react differently to you than if you looked nice, clean and proper.

Something that I thought of that wouldn't be to micromanagy and honestly think that (as long as it wasn't over the top) would add to the game in a fun/interesting way :)

I personally think that dental care could create some late game problems:

(1), I think that being able to brush teeth would be good for moral (someone said this same thing)

(2), I think that Being able to brush teeth and use other stuff like mouth wash, floss, and toothpicks would affect how npcs think of you, like if you had bad breath and rotten veggies from last weeks salad stuck between your teeth would have a negative affect on npc interactoin

(3), If you don't brush you teeth and eat a lot of junk food over  a long period of time, eventually you'd get rotten teeth.

(4), Various ailments could come from this, like toothaches and cavities that would require dental procedure (getting teeth pulled, fillings needed, etc.)

(5), New profession/skill: Dentist, Dentistry

(6), New items (mouth wash, floss, toothpicks)

If there are any problems or things I left out, let me know.

On 2015/3/29 at 2:36 PM, unmog said:

Now I know a bunch of you just asked yourself "Isnt that the same as making personal hygeine?" I don't think so. Im not suggesting adding a "dirtiness meter" or a "go to the potty bar" or anything like that, Im not even suggesting our clothes visually get torn or dirty [which would still be cool]

But without these things (or anything similar), the using of tooth paste or soap would be just a gimmick. To restore happiness, we can do it by reading and special food. And under the current system, the stress or unhappiness would not cause any critical damage to players, so it does not need more methods to increase happiness, at least not in official versions.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this could work much the way some of the expansion features work in the newer sims games. They have moodles for "fresh breath" and "clean laundry" as POSITIVES, but no negatives - which means you don't have to micromanage and do it at all times, but if you manage to get your hands on clean clothes or toothpaste or something you still reap some benefits.

Side note: You can (in real life) use toothpaste to fill cracks and holes in plaster. It's a nice college student trick for sprucing up walls :P and could be another use for it in PZ. Everyone keeps talking about wanting to repair walls damaged by the passage of time... Maybe a superficial product for a superficial purpose?

Okay, you wanna play this game. Then we need a Dentist profession immediately. Don't go complaining when you need tooth extraction and it lowers your ability to eat certain foods.

Edited by Zomboid

I think this is the point of the positive-only boost. Things only get micromanage-y tedious and gross when they're REQUIRED. If you get an optional boot with no negative counterpart, it takes away from the redium of "hygeine" the way most people imagine it playing - dental or otherwise. 

More or less like the real world. You can go years without brushing your teeth with no obvious problematic effects (provided a bunch of other factors - but whatever, it's possible) but it still feels awesome to brush your teeth sometimes. If we assume the best of possible circumstances and just ignore the negatives these tiny boosts are just a bit of a treat associated with finding some toothpaste. It's like candy for your health. xD