RELEASED Build 32

EasyPickins

That's not just it. Look at this. 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=450103033

That's only about a tenth of all of them.

I dunno how many people muldraugh has, but if there's this many, i must have about 90 percent of them.

I'll admit that that is a little ridiculous, but as it has been mentioned, it's only day 3 of the new build, so they probably haven't finished tweaking. Plus, the whole purpose of the build is to find bugs.

I dunno how many people muldraugh has, but if there's this many, i must have about 90 percent of them.

This can't prove anything, I can also manage to do big horde, but that's not the point of survival ;) Throwing traps/shoting everywhere and I can have the same screeenshot, they are on fire, what the hell did you do? :D

Just tried again, beat my record, 12 days yay! By playing safe, not runing in populated area etc. I'm able to survive.

As I said, you find it too hard, try sandbox. Try to live in farm area instead of town. There's plenty of things to do to survive!

This can't prove anything, I can also manage to do big horde, but that's not the point of survival ;) Throwing traps/shoting everywhere and I can have the same screeenshot, they are on fire, what the hell did you do? :D

Just tried again, beat my record, 12 days yay! By playing safe, not runing in populated area etc. I'm able to survive.

As I said, you find it too hard, try sandbox. Try to live in farm area instead of town. There's plenty of things to do to survive!

I tried burning them and ended up setting knox county's forest on fire.

Rain appearantly does not extinguish fire.

by the time the first ones died off from fire, a horde 2 times larger is just showing up and catching aflame.

I remember using a shotgun to clear hordes.. times change:P

I wanna get into a bigass steamroller and make zombie paste.

Please at some soon point add military grade bombs.

Like, IEDS and claymores and shit.

I don't care if they're only in a military base with 4000 zombies, i'll just fire one shotgun shell and lure every single one out.

Or grenade launchers.

Hey, they exist.

New version, 32.2!

• Added sidetable loot table for bedroom: it can spawn electronics stuff
  • Spawn some electronics scrap in shed/garage
  • Fixed memory sandbox options for zombies
  • Fixed cognition sandbox options for zombies (yes, they can open doors now :D)
  • Game will now consider that's there a lot of zombies for looting if you have no zombies in sandbox (to help testing)
  • Tutorial: Your player will respawn as a zombie way faster
  • Fixed placing some trap won't make them explode
  • Added tooltip for trap which say that you can throw them
  • Lowered the zombies in the opening Hours challenge (still heavy challenging, but should be less laggy)
  • Bit balanced the flame trap and molotov (should be more effective)
  • Fixed security holes in a few Lua input/output methods. (Issue #001340)
  • Added getUrlInputStream() for blindcoder. (Issue #001682)
  • Fixed toxic buildup from indoor generator not respecting FPS setting.
  • Missed part of getInetSocketAddress() fix.
  • Exception handling around MapCollisionData/ZombiePopulationManager stuff to stop server dying.
  • Fixed unkillable / unshovable zombies. (Issue #001686)
  • Fixed Broken Baseball Bat stacking with unbroken Baseball Bat. (Issue #00168
  • Force the player awake if she takes fire damage while sleeping. (Issue #001684)
  • Fixed getInetSocketAddress() server crash. (Issue #001675)
  • Fixed wrong VirtualZombiePool being used from the main thread in 2 places.
  • Fixed engineer / electrician descriptions in other languages. (Issue #001683)

The reason i have such an issue is that before build 32 i could fire a sawed off at the same place 100 times and i'd be lucky if 30 showed up.

now if i fire it once, all the people in knox county tag along to the party.

Wow... I've been playing since Novemeber and I never saw a horde this big in my game, what the hell am I doing wrong?

Also, firing a gun and not having zombies show up was one of big issues before 32, when I look at that screenshot of yours I can't help but get excited about it finally being fixed.

New version, 32.2!

• Fixed cognition sandbox options for zombies (yes, they can open doors now  :D)

Why can I only like this post once? Is there a bug on the forums? :P I waited for this fix since 1st of April!

New version, 32.2!

• Added sidetable loot table for bedroom: it can spawn electronics stuff
  • Spawn some electronics scrap in shed/garage
  • Fixed cognition sandbox options for zombies (yes, they can open doors now :D)

(clyde)

Now i'm playing with super intelligent sprinters who can tear people in half.

but are blind and deaf but can smell super well.

Only problem still is there are millions everywhere.

Someone needs to update ridicuously overpowered weapons.

I want a boomstick :P

As someone who has played a fair bit of build 32, I want to say that I liked the "zombies not reacting to knockback from weapons 100% of the time", even if it wasn't intended. I think that should be kept as a feature, at least more refined. What the hell am I talking about? I'll be a bit more clear :

When you are in a character creation, you get the "strong" and "stout" traits that, among increased carrying weight, have the sentence "increase knockback chance" as the pro's. However, what "chance" are we talking about when every attack on a zombie with melee you land ends up knocking it back?

When you hit zombies normally in the previous, not fixed build, you ended up hitting zombies and could see blood splatter, but they didn't get knocked back until you pushed them away. I think THAT should have a chance to happen with every character, making them consider again whether they should approach those three zombies or flee. If you end up hitting a zombie but not knocking it back, you end up gifting them about a second of advance and ability to grab on you. 

Take a look at this let's play of build 32 - a simple overconfidence that all your hits will knock back made a zombie, that wasn't much of a deal before, be able to get within the grabbing and scratching range.

https://youtu.be/P8UqWskucCE?t=20m20s

If you allow this to become a feature, I think the percentage of "successful knockback from melee" should be determined by your strength and "Blunt Aiming". The better these are, the better you are at combat, with 10/10 at both skills meaning you have 100% chance of knocking the zombies away, like it currently happens in build 31. What are the thoughts? Sorry if I made this huge wall of text.

EDIT: On the topic of zombie hordes, isn't this what we ALWAYS wanted to see again, after so long since pre-alpha version of the map and it's mega hordes?

I REALLY, REALLY love these new zombie numbers. Maybe we could keep the other people happy by including the "newer, fixed zombie spawning" to Beginner mode/Low zombie numbers in sandbox? Survival should be challenging and hard to win against. Wasn't that the whole point of Operation Kill You Before The End Game?

I have to say that, in theory, I'm liking the new numbers. But they feel a little too punishing early game. As in, invading your safehouse when you have not made a noise, have curtains up and all lights out. Reading a book then sleeping should not be making a noise.

Could the new respawn system not up the count as time goes on? Starting with a few less then using days in game passed to increment the respawn multiplier perhaps? And please note, I'm not talking about starting with build 31 numbers, but perhaps less than 8-15 Z's outside every single building in the game which is roughly how it feels now.  A chance to get some supplies, to build some defences at least, would be preferable.

Because at present it seems that any move made towards survival ends in death. I'm not complaining about building up hordes if something turns noisy, that's (partly) my own fault, but so many Z's that you can't get out of your starting house which did not provide anything useful to your future survival beyond a tissue, some bleach and a cup, seems a bit harsh.

When they then overwhelm your house on night one due to the metagame noises, well that doesn't feel like the game is offering any survival options at all. Don't get me wrong, I only ever play survival, I enjoy challenging, I enjoy difficult, I like the direction the changes have taken, but they seem to be a bit unbalanced at this point. I haven't had chance to try out any of the bombs, traps or other new features because I'm dead, often before day two, and I play the 'safest' approach to this game I can, I don't fight zombies unless I have to, I sneak, I walk away if a building won't open, unless I've first lured away any Z's that might hear me.

Please don't think this is a complaint, but I wanted to try to put a reasoned argument against the full extent of the new numbers because the people who love the new numbers are very vocal and the people who dislike them appear to be very frustrated.

I have to say that, in theory, I'm liking the new numbers. But they feel a little too punishing early game. As in, invading your safehouse when you have not made a noise, have curtains up and all lights out. Reading a book then sleeping should not be making a noise.

Could the new respawn system not up the count as time goes on? Starting with a few less then using days in game passed to increment the respawn multiplier perhaps? And please note, I'm not talking about starting with build 31 numbers, but perhaps less than 8-15 Z's outside every single building in the game which is roughly how it feels now.  A chance to get some supplies, to build some defences at least, would be preferable.

Because at present it seems that any move made towards survival ends in death. I'm not complaining about building up hordes if something turns noisy, that's (partly) my own fault, but so many Z's that you can't get out of your starting house which did not provide anything useful to your future survival beyond a tissue, some bleach and a cup, seems a bit harsh.

When they then overwhelm your house on night one due to the metagame noises, well that doesn't feel like the game is offering any survival options at all. Don't get me wrong, I only ever play survival, I enjoy challenging, I enjoy difficult, I like the direction the changes have taken, but they seem to be a bit unbalanced at this point. I haven't had chance to try out any of the bombs, traps or other new features because I'm dead, often before day two, and I play the 'safest' approach to this game I can, I don't fight zombies unless I have to, I sneak, I walk away if a building won't open, unless I've first lured away any Z's that might hear me.

Please don't think this is a complaint, but I wanted to try to put a reasoned argument against the full extent of the new numbers because the people who love the new numbers are very vocal and the people who dislike them appear to be very frustrated.

Get a mod called start safe.

And in sandbox enable starter kit.

You will have beef jerky, a water bottle, a box of nails, a hammer, ripped sheets, a saw and an ax.

I have to use it to survive.

One of the few things that Max Brooks has pointed out in his zombie survival guide is that the more densely populated the area you're residing in, the more dangerous it is for you to stay there. Towns should never feel safe enough to stay for a long period of time, except when you need to crash somewhere for the night and sleep. Your first priority after spawning in the game should be gathering what you have and leaving the city as quick as possible. Meta-game noises (ESPECIALLY helicopters!) Will make the hordes tear down through anything that stands in their way, including that one house you decided to make a base out of. Grab a few essentials, tools and get yourself moving to the suburbs, somewhere less packed with zombies.

Get a character build that fits with your tactics, if you want to sneak than Burglar profession and Inconspicuous trait should help immensely with sneaking and avoiding zombies between looting houses while zombies in houses you should be able to take out with a stabbing weapon easily.

The key is having a character to go along with how you play, I usually go for melee combat builds, it's fairly easy to kill zombies with Baseball Bats if you can lure them to you one or three at a time.

If the number of zombies i really too high you could always try sandbox with low zombie count, that's what I did when I started playing until I learned to handle multiple zombies at a time. But I see how default zombie count might be somewhat overwhelming to newer players.

I have tried as a burgler with all traits that should help staying undetected, but for some reason it never made a difference. I would love to play a sneaky character, as i like stealth games very much, but that doesn't seem very viable in the beginning with the new spawn number. No idea how viable it would be late game, it levels so slow i never lasted that long. Also what about the people who want to roleplay something like a nurse ect.?

With this new system it seems everyone who doesn't want to play a rambo build will not be able to enjoy the default mode. Sure there's always the sandbox, but i'm still not sure survival is balanced. It just feels like a new challenge mode, screwing all the other sandbox late game elements.

Also if you keep these numbers, you probably should look at the balance of the sandbox options, low isn't low anymore, ect.

I agree, though I have yet to play seeing the video above is pretty ridiculous. It should be low enough to start and a bit smarter being able to tell when you've made a decent safehouse with good fortifications because then those numbers are a little more forgiving. Definitely would rather if it was lower at the start and moved up giving you at least a week (or, if you build a pretty good defense, then pile up the numbers) Otherwise I think I'll be asking for a mod because, this does seem a little outrageous. My opinion might change when I play though so we'll see. At least giving players a chance to do stuff first would be fairer if those numbers did come in after a few days or so. Obviously if someone's running and gunning that's their fault but it still definitely needs tweaking.

I agree with the metagame too, when NPCs are introduced all I can see happening is never having a chance to talk to them because zombies are around every corner. 

I eagerly await someone angrily replying due to the fact I've given my opinion in trying to help this game be better than it is.

One of the few things that Max Brooks has pointed out in his zombie survival guide is that the more densely populated the area you're residing in, the more dangerous it is for you to stay there. Towns should never feel safe enough to stay for a long period of time, except when you need to crash somewhere for the night and sleep. Your first priority after spawning in the game should be gathering what you have and leaving the city as quick as possible. Meta-game noises (ESPECIALLY helicopters!) Will make the hordes tear down through anything that stands in their way, including that one house you decided to make a base out of. Grab a few essentials, tools and get yourself moving to the suburbs, somewhere less packed with zombies.

You see, that does not work when the suburbs are populated like downtown new york city.

As a matter of fact, an oddity at that, downtown muldraugh is LESS populated than the suburbs.

Hey Enigma, in direct answer to your point. I did that. I ran, and ran, and ran, and made it to the logging company, which had very few zombies. It still had very few zombies 3 weeks later when it was back to being a farming simulator.

I was trying to avoid being negative but if the answer to the game being fixed to no longer be a farming sim is to run far enough away that you can play it as a farming sim, then it isn't really fixed... Instead I tried to suggest a change to the new system that would allow people to, perhaps, explore more than one mostly empty house before death.

I wasn't asking for the game to be easy, but easier than nigh-impossible unless you're very lucky or want to run far away to play happy farm would be nice...

Edit: Just to clarify, wasn't trying to single Enigma out to argue against, but 'quote' wasn't working.

Edited by Morgan2020

Also how do you intend to balance that with cars and npc's? You might aswell forget about them entirely, npc's won't stay alive, except if you make them cheat, and cars... well we all know it is a bad idea to drive a car through zombie infested new york city :P.

Also how do you intend to balance that with cars and npc's? You might aswell forget about them entirely, npc's won't stay alive, except if you make them cheat, and cars... well we all know it is a bad idea to drive a car through zombie infested new york city :P.

A) No one can answer anything relating to NPCs; and,

B) Good. Cars should only be rarely practical.

Thanks for just throwing those hypotheticals out there. They're really great for proving points, and junk.

Thanks for just throwing those hypotheticals out there. They're really great for proving points, and junk.

If cars are added, a bulldozer at mccoy is not too far fetched.

And a bulldozer would be great for plowing through thousands of zombies.

And also the perimeter walls of an enemy faction's base, with your engine and horn ringing the dinner bell for the zombies.

I'm just trying to help and it was a valid concern of mine, if you don't think planned features should be kept in mind when balancing this game now, then fine, don't worry, i won't post my junk anymore.

Have a good day.

^ I feel like I can't post my opinion on the forums anymore without getting a comment like that. And if I give talk like that to a moderator I get banned. Where did "be lovely" go? Or does it only apply to people on the forums with no power? I'm not starting an argument, it's just what I've noticed lately on some replies from the devs and mods (and I understand the devs stress though). I'll leave it at that. I assume I'll get a warning point but if it's at the cost of making the forums be lovely again I don't mind.

You see, that does not work when the suburbs are populated like downtown new york city.

As a matter of fact, an oddity at that, downtown muldraugh is LESS populated than the suburbs.

Would you care enough to run over here and see if it's as densely populated as you're describing? Or here, here, maybe even here? :P

When I say "suburbs" I don't mean "that block of houses that seems to be further away from the center of the town", but rather "a place that's far enough away from the town for huge zombie numbers not to bother you"

I really love the new zombie counts and spawn system. I have been playing PZ for 950 hours and it got a bit boring lately even on hardcore sandbox settings. When I first started a new game in Build 32 it feels really new and challenging. I couldn't play as usual and I have to think twice about what to do and where to build a safe house. I reduced my sandbox difficulty settings to normal ones and started in Muldraugh cause of the lower zombie density and after surviving 14 days in Build 32 I am not bored enough to even think about going to the mall :D

Great work!

Leolvanov, I agree with your basic point, towns shouldn't feel safe.

But if you can quote an author's fictional opinion of a fictional event, then allow me to point out that in The Walking Dead, had Rick stepped out of the hospital at the start of the series into the scene in Atlanta that he almost rides straight into, it would have been a very short series.

That makes my point as clearly as I think possible. I don't want easy, I don't want handholding, I would like a chance to get my bearings in a new game and perhaps gather the basics for survival. And while I'm sure that the game will be better balanced when it's not at the very beginning of a new IWBUMS cycle, I don't think that the only voices the Dev's should hear should be those who are revelling in nostalgia for their lost pre-alpha super-hordes...