RELEASED Build 32

EasyPickins

@Morgan2020 - Well then I just fail at reading! :)

I had another weird one where I had a part used baseball bat in my inventory and one in my backpack, transferred from backpack to inventory and it had disappeared. Expanding the basball bat only showed a single used item. I think I would have to repeat that to be sure of it though.

So do we need to have the electrician profession to use generators, or can we be a different profession and find the skill/recipe books? Are the books only for the electrician class?

Same for the engineer? Are they the only profession that can use bombs? Or can I be any profession and find the recipe books to use them?

HOW DO I GET THIS?:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4183-iwbums-the-i-will-backup-my-save-branch/

We probably missing some stuff here, it'll be edited, don't worry :)

[NEW STUFF]

Zombie Respawning

The zombie-respawning system was rewritten.  This picture shows a part of West Point.  Each large rectangle is one cell (300x300 tiles).  The small rectangle is the loaded part of the map around the player.  Each red dot is one zombie.  The yellow dots are the "real" zombies in the loaded part of the map.  In the top-left corner of each cell you can see the number of zombies in that cell followed by the number of zombies there were when the game first started (the desired population).  The third number is how many hours before new zombies can spawn.

ZombiePopulationWindow.png

The sandbox option "Zombies Respawn Interval" controls how often zombies respawn.  Zombies will respawn only when the current population in a cell is lower than the desired population.  In mutiplayer, the HoursForZombiesRespawn server option is used instead.  In survival mode this is set to "Every Day".

The sandbox option "Zombies Respawn Percent" controls how many zombies respawn each interval.  This is the percent of the desired population that is added each interval.  In multiplayer, the ZombiesRespawnPercent server option is used instead.  In survival mode this is set to "10 percent".

Zombies won't respawn in loaded parts of the map.  This is to avoid zombies popping up in front of the player.  They also won't spawn in any part of the map that was loaded within the last hour of game time.

Zombies should never respawn in any buildings or fenced-off areas.  The game checks if there is a clear path from one randomly-chosen square on the edge of the world to the place it wants to place new zombies.  If a path can't be found, then no zombies will be spawned in that part of the map.

• 2 new professions: Electrician (can operate generators and create electronics device for traps) and Engineer (can create traps/explosive)
  • Added generators:
    • You can find them in shed/generator, you can then take them and drag them near a house.
    • You need to be an electrician or found the recipe book to use them.
    • Once placed near a house, it doesn't work with player made safehouse yet, right click and plug it.
    • You can now add fuel in them and then turn them on. It now provide electricity to surrounding area.
    • The generator will deplete fuel and condition slowly, a bad condition generator could start a fire or even explode, be sure to fix them with electronics scraps! Oh, it also does a lot of noise... ;)
  • Traps/Explosive:
    • Molotov, flame trap, pipe bomb, noise maker, smoke bomb and aerosol bomb!
    • After crafted them (need to be engineer, but you can find some books to learn the recipes) you can throw them or place them on the ground.
    • Some electronics devices can be added to them: remote trigger, movement sensor or even timer!
  • Added the tutorial, give it a try! It's the first step tutorial, it won't teach you all the mighty stuff you can do, but it'll provide a good base for new player as it teach movement, fighting, looting, eating/drinking... And use of context key!
  • Random character creation and save your character creation! (mod from BlindCoder)
  • Added 2 new challenges!
    • Opening hours: The Mall is surrounded. Once upon a time, it was an important place in their lives. Instinct has led them to its doors. A memory of what they used to do...  You are alone, but not for long. At 9AM the Mall will be ready for business: doors will open, and the hordes will enter. Be ready for them.
    • Winter is Coming: It's mid-July, but suddenly there's a chill on the breeze. In a mere three days' time a winter will set in like no other before it. You awake in an isolated location. You have meagre supplies, and the undead hordes might be slowed by the intense cold - but they are no less deadly. Wrap up warm, survivor...
  • Claim safehouse in Multiplayer!
  • Added StartYear and StartDay sandbox options.
  • Added SaveWorldEveryMinutes server option.
  • New server option = AllowDestructionBySledgehammer:true // If false, don't allow the use of the sledgehammer to destroy stuff.
  • Dismantle electronics stuf to gather electronics scraps!
  • Tooons of new items, more than 30!
[bUGFIX]
  • Don't create backups of client savefiles when the game's version changes.
  • Fixed rain barrels collecting rainwater when inside. (Issue #001594)
  • Fixed sheet rope sometimes going on the wrong side of the thumpable/window in multiplayer. (Issue #001569)
  • Fix unkickable players in multiplayer.
  • Client savefile names were changed to IP_port_username. (Issue #001626).  It used to be IP_username, so you may want to rename your multiplayer directories to include the server's port number, otherwise the game won't find your old player.
  • Fixed the "device not closed" error message when exiting. (Issue #001630)
  • Fixed "dirty" appearance to a clean bandage on male upper right leg. (Issue #001625)
  • Fixed campfire items not cooking after loading. (Issue #001611)
  • Fixed lightfooted/sneak XP being awarded to the wrong player in splitscreen multiplayer. (Issue #001644)
  • Fixed zombie-grab slow-factor not being applied to the correct coop player in multiplayer.
  • Recover from colds inside player-made buildings. (Issue #000958)
  • Added "Remove Broken Glass" context menu command for broken windows.
  • Don't show the combination padlock dialog until the player has finished moving next to the locked object.
  • Blood splatter gets fainter and blacker over a 3-day period.
  • New server option HoursForCorpseRemoval will delete corpses older than this many hours.  Player corpses aren't deleted.
  • Fixed getting into locked containers exploit. (Issue #001649)
  • Fixed beginner mode shut water/elec to 8 days
  • Probably plenty of other stuff I forgot there.

Thanks a lot for this exceptional work, PZ's staff is the best staff of the world!!! Really great news, and a lot of fantastic features.

P.S. (Role Play Question!!): "The fitness" profession of my character can to represent the figure of a professional "Body Builder-Weight Lifter" in a Gym?

2807hmq.png

First impressions:  that woman-scream ambient doesn't sound like I remember - far more haunting.  And these zombies, seemingly faster, and re-spawning - its just a matter of time before my prized mousetrap collection gets mauled: its going to make my trapping skills all the more challenging to utilize before they are found by zeds.

great job so far!  loving it!

first feedback - for the "by the number of zombies there were when the game first started (the desired population)", the desired re-spawn population should be far less (by half or more I'd think) than what was initially spawned at game time.  If the entire zone population will re-spawn every [zombie respawn interval], but none inside anymore, that means a near-constant large mob of zombies roaming around - don't get this wrong, I'm not opposed to mobs of zombies ruining my day, but if there is no point in clearing out an area (maybe so that only 25%-50% headcount of initial zombies respawn in a given area) that might be just a little too disheartening on game play.

Edit - just figured out why the zombies appear smarter: they don't run *at* you anymore - they run to where you are going to be, in effect intercepting your travel path.

Edited by blogRot

Loot in sheds definitely needs looking at in this build. Its kinda silly how many generators I can find, but there are zero gas cans or manuals for them.

It's intended that manuals are hard to find, if they were easy to find, you could simply never pick electrician and still can operate generators.

I'll prob lower the generators spawn rate then.

It's intended that manuals are hard to find, if they were easy to find, you could simply never pick electrician and still can operate generators.

I suppose that's a valid point, but it's still strange when I check at least 12+ sheds and no generator manual, but instead 2~3 random electronics manuals (and apparently that is the only place they spawn as I found none at the post office/book store/high school).

Also, can we get gas cans spawning in sheds now since they have more of a use, even if they sometimes spawn empty? Kinda silly that none spawn since most garages would have at least a empty gas can in them :/

Edit: One last thing......the skill being called Electricity just sounds weird and should probably be called Electrical.

Edit Edit: As far as it being the only reason to pick Electrician, I would rather see it being easier for them to fix generators compared to the average Joe not being able to operate one, but I dunno if that can be done easily

Maybe i'm just a wuss, but the normal zombie count feels a tiny bit to much, i can't get into another house because there's a horde around every corner. Low feels more like normal now, to me.

I like the tutorial btw, the part about the cure is the best XD.

I suppose that's a valid point, but it's still strange when I check at least 12+ sheds and no generator manual, but instead 2~3 random electronics manuals (and apparently that is the only place they spawn as I found none at the post office/book store/high school).

Also, can we get gas cans spawning in sheds now since they have more of a use, even if their sometimes spawn empty? Kinda silly that none spawn since most garages would have at least a empty gas can in them :/

Edit: One last thing......the skill being called Electricity just sounds weird and should probably be called Electrical.

Edit Edit: As far as it being the only reason to pick Electrician, I would rather see it being easier for them to fix generators compared to the average Joe not being able to operate one, but I dunno if that can be done easily

I'm with moose on the spawn location. I don't mind them being rare but the magazines only spawning in sheds is kinda silly.

Maybe i'm just a wuss, but the normal zombie count feels a tiny bit to much, i can't get into another house because there's a horde around every corner. Low feels more like normal now, to me.

There are definitely more zombies. Maybe just try a low population count? I found that normal was hard to manage, but not impossible and I consider myself to be a sucky player.

There are definitely more zombies. Maybe just try a low population count? I found that normal was hard to manage, but not impossible and I consider myself to be a sucky player.

I guess it depends on where you start. I've started in a small house without a weapon, went out and couldn't make it into another house because there were groups everywhere, that was kind of frustrating.

Low count is easy to manage and the Z's outside the houses feel more like a normal count of such a small town to me.

I think the new spawn system is a good step, with some finetuning, but i don't think spawning huge numbers of Z's is the solution for too safe safehouses. It just makes you not want to leave your house ever again lol.

Maybe it would be better to keep it at a tad more manageable number and improve even more on their ai?

New version!

• Fixed spawn-house check in SafeHouse.
  • Removed SensorRange from AerosolbombRemote and PipeBombRemote.
  • 'Craft Spiked Bat' and 'Craft Spiked Plank' recipes take 5 nails.
  • 'Craft Spiked Bat', 'Craft Spiked Plank', and 'Smash Watermelon' recipes work with the stone hammer (Issue #001670)
  • Fixed duplicating generators. (Issue #001679)
  • Fixes for generator actions.
  • Fixed possible NullPointerException when turning a generator on/off.
  • Fixed trap explosion symmetry.
  • Fixed trap explosion exception when there are no zombies. (Issue #001676)
  • Tutorial: If you open the window instead of climb it it'll add a new popup tutorial.
  • Tutorial: you can't kill the zombie before we said so
  • Tutorial: Made the "sneak here" spot more visible
  • Tutorial: Every windows will now fit correctly, no matter the text (this is for translation)
  • Changed tutorial popup text
  • Lowered generators spawn rate
  • Increased empty sandbag spawn rate
  • Increased petrol can/empty petrol can spawn rate
  • Gather gun power -> Gather gun powder (tho that mistake was kinda cool to read :D)
  • Bring back You have one day challenge.. Wasn't supposed to be here but Steam decided otherwise :/
  • Reexported the map (understand few map fixes)
  • Bunch of stuff for translations
  • Updated Russian translation

As far as I know there weren't any population changes. Maybe they just never mentioned it, but I think we might be jumping to conclusions here :)

I guess it depends on where you start. I've started in a small house without a weapon, went out and couldn't make it into another house because there were groups everywhere, that was kind of frustrating.

Low count is easy to manage and the Z's outside the houses feel more like a normal count of such a small town to me.

I think the new spawn system is a good step, with some finetuning, but i don't think spawning huge numbers of Z's is the solution for too safe safehouses. It just makes you not want to leave your house ever again lol.

Maybe it would be better to keep it at a tad more manageable number and improve even more on their ai?

They become more manageable with an aerosol bomb, but using one of those things in a horde you can basically kiss the surrounding neighborhood goodbye if the explosion doesn't kill them all. Wandering firestarters

New version!

Did you mess with the opening hours by any chance? I just started it for the first time and the game lagged like hell and then the zombies just came in from the right side.

They become more manageable with an aerosol bomb, but using one of those things in a horde you can basically kiss the surrounding neighborhood goodbye if the explosion doesn't kill them all. Wandering firestarters

That aerosol bomb sounds like fun :D. But i don't worry so much about late game, i can imagine that they are easier to manage when you have bombs, but you have to get there first.