Question for the Britons!

Albedo

Hey fellow PZ Fans!

I was pointed to the forums as a good location for asking about the British Isles; without further delay, below is my situation.

I have recently been approached with an opportunity to transfer from my current work to a higher position in my company - the caveat is that the position is based about 7000 km away in Gloucestershire (specifically in Stonehouse).

Given that I currently live in the southern United States this would be a very big change for me, which leads me to my question: does anyone know first-hand (or second-hand, I'm not that picky) anything about the area? While I do not know for sure whether I would be accepted for the new position or not, I'd have to be willing to move before I even apply - the more feedback I can get, the more informed a decision I can make.

I can provide more info if anyone wants in the event it'd help folks give feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I brilliantly confused walls and houses.

There's a lot more violent crime in Britain. Personally I would stay in America, but your decision isn't mine. If you feel comfortable in moving over there for your work, go ahead. You should at least consider taking up martial arts if you do make the move, though.

Not heard of Stonewall, Stonehouse perhaps? Anyway, depends on what you're after. Ultimately Britain is relatively small and easy to get around. You're close to a whole host of International airports so if travel's your thing or you get homesick, moving about shouldn't be too hard. I grew up in Bristol (just south of where you'd be going) and I love the region. Having said that, I now live in Outback Australia and have no desire to return, though that's more due to very generalised living standards between the two countries and my personal interests! So I guess, whatever floats your boat really. Moving to any country, regardless of perceived similarities, will still be a culture shock. Tell us more about your interests though and there's enough Poms here to hopefully help you in your decision. Good luck!

Don't know the area around Gloucester / bristol where you may be going, but seems like a rather beautiful part of the country, and I have spent time pretty close to there (relatively speaking).

What sort of stuff would you be looking for in an ideal move?

If you were willing to spend a bit of time exploring, the southwest coast of Wales is pretty spectacular, and not too far away, likewise Cornwall and all the south coast up to Bournemouth is also thoroughly awesome. Head inland a bit, and a touch north, and all those little towns through Shropshire or inland in to the Cotswolds are classic English towns where apple scrumping is about the only crime committed.

Not to say you would even need to go that far, but as I say I have no first hand experience of that particular area exactly.

I've heard Gloucestershire is nice. I lived one county down in Wiltshire a couple of years ago for a short time - that was a pretty good area (if you stay away from Swindon...)

Come on over :twisted:

There's a lot more violent crime in Britain. Personally I would stay in America, but your decision isn't mine. If you feel comfortable in moving over there for your work, go ahead. You should at least consider taking up martial arts if you do make the move, though.

Hah!

England is very very nice. Move - trust me you'll love it. Advantages include one of the best public transport systems in the world, excellent internet coverage at affordable rates, barely any gun crime (although vicious beatings with cricket bats and assault and battery levels are generally higher) and higher pay scales.

Disadvantages include draconian gun laws, petrol prices that will cause your eyes to bleed (bear in mind that using public transport is not considered taboo here), queuing etiquette (never ever queue barge or you'll be beaten to death by enraged grannies) and a much much higher cost of living (offsetting the higher pay).

We also have very good television, an interesting music scene and a working space program too (we sent a probe to Mars but it crashed but hey we sent a probe to MARS!!!).

There's a lot more violent crime in Britain.

That's true, but it's due to the fact Britons use a different definition for violent crime than Americans. A definition that includes a lot more types of crimes than the very specific American definition. If you take that into account, it's clear that American Society is much more violent than British society, or any other Western society for that matter.

It's tough but I agree. British people are a silly lot, you should definately study local habits before going to work there, to avoid making a fool of yourself.  

It's tough but I agree. British people are a silly lot, you should definately study local habits before going to work there, to avoid making a fool of yourself.  

Hah. Stereotypes.

Reply time!

@Tennant - My apologies, I did mean Stonehouse. Shows you how much I know about it already, right?

@Mendonca - I'll have to get back to you, only 15 minutes free at the moment!

@Batsphinx - I'm currently a "Data Analyst", which it turns out is entirely relative based on the company. In my current capacity, i'm equal parts database developer, software developer, and what is normally referred to as a data analyst. Currently, I'm inbetween those two locales, but closer to a city-dweller if I had to make a call. Also, Hot Fuzz is amazing, and I cant wait for The World's End :D

Thanks everyone for your comments, I'll be at work for the majority of today but I'll drop by here on my free time!

I've heard Gloucestershire is nice. I lived one county down in Wiltshire a couple of years ago for a short time - that was a pretty good area (if you stay away from Swindon...)

Come on over :twisted:

Hah!

I was born in Swindon and he's right, on another note I live in Bath now which is not far away, its a great place to live, near plenty of good sized cities like Cardiff and Bristol as mentioned previously. Some stunning countryside and even better cider!

Still working, but time for more replies!

@EnigmaGrey - How different are we talking about (is there an analog? I do so love pecan pie). I'm still wrapping my head around 'chips' and 'biscuits'.

@Tweek - I'm not sure where you're going with that, regardless it's not relevant.

@Kurn1207 Confirmed, stay away from Swindon. Do you by chance know if there is public transportation from Bristol to Stonehouse? (going to check google maps myself to see the distance / if it'd be feasible)

Albedo,

Stonehouse is actually on the Swindon to Gloucester train route but is a bit trickier getting there from Bristol. But to confirm, stay away from Swindon. I was born there but was fortunate enough to move aged 3 weeks old! Still got family there though.

To be honest, although public transport is pretty decent, using the trains to commute can be time consuming and frustrating. If you lived in north Bristol, for example, I reckon it'd be quicker to drive than catch public transport. And if you're more of a city dweller, than I can't recommend Bristol highly enough. Amazing bars, cafes, shops. Great music scene, full of culture, galleries, museums. Lots of open spaces, it's on the river with a great maritime history. Has an International airport, is on the crossroads of two arterial motorways. And is close to the only city better than Bristol, & home of Kurn1207, Bath!

Albedo,

Stonehouse is actually on the Swindon to Gloucester train route but is a bit trickier getting there from Bristol. But to confirm, stay away from Swindon. I was born there but was fortunate enough to move aged 3 weeks old! Still got family there though.

To be honest, although public transport is pretty decent, using the trains to commute can be time consuming and frustrating. If you lived in north Bristol, for example, I reckon it'd be quicker to drive than catch public transport. And if you're more of a city dweller, than I can't recommend Bristol highly enough. Amazing bars, cafes, shops. Great music scene, full of culture, galleries, museums. Lots of open spaces, it's on the river with a great maritime history. Has an International airport, is on the crossroads of two arterial motorways. And is close to the only city better than Bristol, & home of Kurn1207, Bath!

Also Bristol is quite close to Wales, where I live, which makes it Almost Awesome.

Archived