why is everyone playing sandbox?

imortalz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to the forums and there may already be a thread explaining this. But could someone please list the specific differences in the two modes or provide a link.

None.

Unless you customize it.

You silver tongued devil, you.

Depends on the person, a lot of people play sandbox because it's the same game experience apart from the fact that you can personalize it, I used to hardly ever play survival because sandbox exists, however my current game (9 days in) is in Survival.

Sandbox is just a great addition to this game and really gives it a lot of replayability (even more so when more sandbox options are added), it allows you to customize how the game plays and it will affect the way you play it.  I just wish more games had a 'sandbox mode' like this as it is an awesome feature.

I'm assuming when multiplayer is added we'll have sandbox servers which allow you to set up all of the sandbox options for the server, and I'm really hoping for hardcore (one life only) servers, they will be interesting to play on.

one life only.... isnt that the whole point of survival? you u die its game over :P

the game is already set to 1 life only, you think they will give us multiple life in multiplayer?

Depends on the person, a lot of people play sandbox because it's the same game experience apart from the fact that you can personalize it, I used to hardly ever play survival because sandbox exists, however my current game (9 days in) is in Survival.

Sandbox is just a great addition to this game and really gives it a lot of replayability (even more so when more sandbox options are added), it allows you to customize how the game plays and it will affect the way you play it.  I just wish more games had a 'sandbox mode' like this as it is an awesome feature.

I'm assuming when multiplayer is added we'll have sandbox servers which allow you to set up all of the sandbox options for the server, and I'm really hoping for hardcore (one life only) servers, they will be interesting to play on.

one life only.... isnt that the whole point of survival? you u die its game over :P

the game is already set to 1 life only, you think they will give us multiple life in multiplayer?

Yes, because otherwise we will have people jumping from one server to another and eventually every1 will die on every server and everything will be fucked, i presume there will be a cooldown, which can be toggled/changed by the admin/owner of the server

Yes, because otherwise we will have people jumping from one server to another and eventually every1 will die on every server and everything will be fucked, i presume there will be a cooldown, which can be toggled/changed by the admin/owner of the server

you see twhen say multiplayer i imagined a 2(3-4) people multiplayer a la diablo . someone log in ur game or vice versa, if your talking about  persitent server, well ill put a 20$ we are year off that.

I decided to go for it and try sprinters. It's crazy. Really hard. I died the very first day on my first shot. Going to have to start over and maybe set them to weak or set the density to low. They spot you from afar and are suddenly all over you. You knock em down and they're back up and on you in seconds. Don't really give you time to charge between your attacks. It's nuts. I'm going to stick with it for awhile. Try it out if you're looking for a challenge. Brings all new kinds of fear to the table.

Setting off alarms is absolutely terrifying. Swarms come sprinting in from every direction and you pretty much have to run immediately to have any chance of getting away. I'm really enjoying it.

I decided to go for it and try sprinters. It's crazy. Really hard. I died the very first day on my first shot. Going to have to start over and maybe set them to weak or set the density to low. They spot you from afar and are suddenly all over you. You knock em down and they're back up and on you in seconds. Don't really give you time to charge between your attacks. It's nuts. I'm going to stick with it for awhile. Try it out if you're looking for a challenge. Brings all new kinds of fear to the table.

Setting off alarms is absolutely terrifying. Swarms come sprinting in from every direction and you pretty much have to run immediately to have any chance of getting away. I'm really enjoying it.

that is interesting , ill try that when mr. Root die.

Yeah but how is that related to the OP?

.. it's very obviously related to the OP. OP asked why more people weren't playing survival, his reply was 'what's the point in survival when the game is so lacking in features?'
It don't seem to me that the game is so lacking in features :) I always play survival and never run out of things to do! I generally make 3 safehouses, gather all the perishables and non perishables I can and spread them between the bases, hit as many warehouses as possible for nails, sandbags, barbed wire, a shotgun, shells, concrete, gravel, and plaster. All this is not mentioning the several trips required to ferry supplies, search for appropriate skill books, buckets, tools, weapons, or the leveling of sneak, nimble, lightfooted, sprinting or cooking! Then you still have to get the remainder of your farming supplies and start a farm! :D

Ive had 3 month characters in survival and still not run out things to do :)

All this being said, have fun playing with sandbox, just dont say that you're "only" doing it because of a lack of features ;)

P.S. Forgot to mention: trips to the large farm and trips to west point!

.. it's very obviously related to the OP. OP asked why more people weren't playing survival, his reply was 'what's the point in survival when the game is so lacking in features?'

His reply was "what's the point in playing alltogether" ... but thanks that you tried to explain his post to me.

It don't seem to me that the game is so lacking in features :) I always play survival and never run out of things to do! I generally make 3 safehouses, gather all the perishables and non perishables I can and spread them between the bases, hit as many warehouses as possible for nails, sandbags, barbed wire, a shotgun, shells, concrete, gravel, and plaster. All this is not mentioning the several trips required to ferry supplies, search for appropriate skill books, buckets, tools, weapons, or the leveling of sneak, nimble, lightfooted, sprinting or cooking! Then you still have to get the remainder of your farming supplies and start a farm! :D

Ive had 3 month characters in survival and still not run out things to do :)

All this being said, have fun playing with sandbox, just dont say that you're "only" doing it because of a lack of features ;)

P.S. Forgot to mention: trips to the large farm and trips to west point!

Agreed 100% twigs.

that is interesting , ill try that when mr. Root die.

The only issue I've found with it so far is that the crawlers need a little work. If they notice you from far away, they'll get up and sprint at you then lay down and attack you when they get close. It both doesn't make any sense at all and is really hard to avoid getting damaged by because of the way they attack. One second they'll be 100 yards away on the ground and the next they'll be right on top of you lunging.

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting an old topic in lieu of starting a new one, I think that's what I'm supposed to do. Anyways, I wanted to say that I've started playing with the zombie density set to INSANE, and that it is the most fun play-through I've had yet. So many memorable moments, and so many close calls. I've been scratched 3 times already in just 2 weeks, that's the most I've ever had and survived. If you think you've got standard survival nailed, I highly recommend giving this a go if you haven't already. It certainly provides more of a challenge.

I play sandbox for two reasons: the day is to short and to test settings.

The way the inventory management system is set up it takes WAYYYY to long to move stuff around.  It does not take an hour to unpack a hiking bag of groceries.  It also does not take an hour to walk three blocks.  I mean, if you were out of shape, maybe.

We are here to test out the game.  While I can do that to some extent in normal mode, you can tweek them in survival and see how it works.  For instance, in Cognition you can set Zed memory to Open Doors... but it does not work (build just before 21).  I have also set the Zed Smell level to Bloodhound and broken a glass window (by hand) to see if they can sense me.  I was within 4 spaces of one and bleeding like a stuck pig... nothing.  I have then engaged one, ran around a corner and into another building, bleeding all the way.  Zed still could not find me.  That is in build 21.

The next game I play, I think will be a infection like 28 Days or Zombieland.  Ones that can sprint.  However, I leave the loot level on all my games at rare.  Anything else just make it to darn easy.