A Threat to Project Zomboid?

Interknet

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone pointing out that he used the gun to much? Its pre-alpha, they have very little in the game so far.

Even in pre-alpha PZ it wasn't just running around with a gun blasting away. It's not a finished product, obviously, but you can judge the direction someone is going by the direction they've come. If their first priority was to add a handgun and blast away with it, you can safely assume it's not going to be a game about being stealthy.

I'm not trying to say everything in Unity is garbage- I'm just saying that almost everything in Unity is garbage, and it's a crutch that shit game developers use to make things look good that are actually crap. There are obviously some great games in Unity out there, but I still cringe every time I see it.

It's a bit like driving a Ferrari 360 CS, or a Nissan GT-R. You can be just an abysmally bad driver, but you can still whip one around a track looking like you have 30 years of F1 experience. They just exist to make people look good. That doesn't mean that a fantastic driver won't hop in a GT-R and blow you away with their skill, but it's just not what you expect.

I'm not trying to say everything in Unity is garbage- I'm just saying that almost everything in Unity is garbage, and it's a crutch that shit game developers use to make things look good that are actually crap.

AAA developers do this all the time without that crutch. Are they better? (Technically: yes. Artistically: no.)

Is it me or are the zombies not very attracted to his gunshots?  He seems to have attracted a few walkers with his semi-automatic fire but the rest are just walking on by...

Also talk about pre-alpha - at 3:09 zombies literally just drop out of the sky in full view of the player.

From what they're showing in the video it looks like a PZ clone that fails to capture what PZ is about.  They say it's "not going to be another zombie game" but their footage shows nothing but them running around shooting zombies.  There's nothing else in the game yet.  I'll have to reserve judgement for when (if ever) they add more gameplay.

The lighting engine looks pretty but they don't get credit for that. :P

Yep, looks somewhat superficial so far - but its way early so while I'm not holding my breath, if it's not too overpriced why not? There is no need for another game just like PZ because that one, obviously, already exists. I'm far more excited however when it comes to State of Decay which will be out on Steam early access tomorrow (Sept. 20th).

Game looks dreadful. That being said the people here who are snorting the air around TIS like it's crack need to stop. Project Zomboid is a game, it is not the game to end all games and it isn't the life blood of the empire so maybe JUST MAYBE you should keep an open mind.

Except for this game, legit garbage in it's current state. The mistake they make was showing it off as it is.

I'm still searching for the ultimate zombie survival game. Currently Project Zomboid sits at the top of the crown as a candidate. For me I prefer a zombie survival game to be isometric or top-down; both PZ and Pine Hollow are isometric, which is fine by my book. Both got similar and unique ideas that waiting to be completed. With that said I hope Pine Hollow becomes better than PZ, why not, the more the merrier.

• 1 month later...

looks interesting. the unity engine does somewhat make things easier and runs C++ and java script. would be interesting for PZ to be ported over to unity. however i don't think it will happen. for starters you would need to create all the item from scratch if they dont already have it in a 3d format. from what i hear they used a 3d engine to create the 2d animations... aside from that PZ would look hundreds of times better in a 3d engine. in fact there is a game that looks to be similar to pz and its called ROAM-game. they removed much of there videos tell they release and updated version but you may just find some of the art they have so far.

looks interesting. the unity engine does somewhat make things easier and runs C++ and java script. would be interesting for PZ to be ported over to unity. however i don't think it will happen. for starters you would need to create all the item from scratch if they dont already have it in a 3d format. from what i hear they used a 3d engine to create the 2d animations... aside from that PZ would look hundreds of times better in a 3d engine. in fact there is a game that looks to be similar to pz and its called ROAM-game. they removed much of there videos tell they release and updated version but you may just find some of the art they have so far.

It would also ruin 64 bit support, wouldn't it? I believe Unity has serious issues with 64 bit support so that would simply throw that out of the window.

It has annoying 3D graphics for me, Its not to good, but the type of bad it is, isn't bad enough to where I actually enjoy it "Empire Earth 1)

Its just bad 3D to me.

Everything looks overly bright.

I don't care if its a copy or inspiration from PZ who should?

Also on the old forums wasn't there another actual PZ clone that was 2D? I remember but nothing much beyond that.

It has annoying 3D graphics for me, Its not to good, but the type of bad it is, isn't bad enough to where I actually enjoy it "Empire Earth 1)

Its just bad 3D to me.

Everything looks overly bright.

I don't care if its a copy or inspiration from PZ who should?

Also on the old forums wasn't there another actual PZ clone that was 2D? I remember but nothing much beyond that.

I don't thing the game is much of a problem now anyway, seems to either be in limbo or the devs hunker down. I'm also not very impressed by the video, while I get that it's a prototype, it didn't really feel like it had a soul. You know something you can tell "man the devs were really passionate about making this game, that stuff like Gunpoint, Minecraft and PZ has.

I imagine though to make any sound judgement I would need to have a bit of hands on with it. Videos are very deceptive things.

• 2 months later...

N-N-N-N-NECRO THREAD :P

Those animations aren't getting any better unless they increase the polly count. Their textures & shaders are doing a good job of hiding it but their models are extremely low polly & the "robotic" nature of the animations is due to the resulting, severely limited rigging. Unless they pull some crazy Dead Rising moves, I'm gonna bet on the graphics not improving....

Whats the deal with 3d isometric games anyways? The only perk to it, that I can think of, is to hide your crappy models & if thats the case.... why not go 2d instead ? :huh: