Survivors Mod

nolanri

Other survivors will spawn as you explore the map, many will fall to the hordes and die, but some may join you, and others may try to kill you!

Direct Download
Steam Workshop

Development Thread

All of the major problems/bugs are more or less sorted out now, and the mod is very playable.

Some known problems include:

-Occasional crashing from java side error in player update function.  Sometimes it almost never happens for hours, but other times it seems to happen frequently. 

-If you are using mouse and keyboard, the survivor will be forced into "facing" the direction of your mouse whenever you attack. For a brief moment they will turn from whatever direction they are facing and face the direction of your mouse.

-spawning items with necroforge will not work with this mod enabled

Edited by nolanri

I been following this mod for a while and i get excited about it each time that i see it.

I have two questions though, is this mod compatible with your cars mod? (the only mod that i use) and is there a chance to have NPCs looting houses for their own food and water? Or have them say that they need food or water?

I probably wont go as far as to have them intelligently surviving on their own such as doing things like looting their own food etc.  But I can certainly make them vocalize their needs for food / water etc.  I just have not yet because in my experience, my survivor friends rarely last long enough to ever need food or water... but maybe that's because I really don't try hard to keep them alive and abandon them at first sign of trouble.... lol?

And yes it works with cars. but of course they survivors wont drive the cars or get in your car.  And be careful not to run over your survivor friends because it will insta kill them.

24 minutes ago, nolanri said:

But I can certainly make them vocalize their needs for food / water etc.  I just have not yet because in my experience, my survivor friends rarely last long enough to ever need food or water... but maybe that's because I really don't try hard to keep them alive and abandon them at first sign of trouble.... lol?

I can see myself trying to protect them and make them last long enough to give a new spin to the game, so i hope that others ask for that feature to do it, commands wise is there ever going to be a way to tell them to wait in a spot? Or they would just despawn?

Sorry if i asks too many questions but i am really excited to see the future of this mod.

I could make them wait in a spot but that would introduce a big problem because the survivors cannot exist outside the loaded cell. what that means is if they go too far off your screen onto an area of the map that is not loaded, they will simply disappear into nothingness.  So making them wait is fine and dandy but if I do that people will start complaining that they disappear because they left them in base and went somewhere far away.

13 hours ago, 956Texas said:

Keep it up nolan, if I may suggest, make the bots loot around and maybe even make groups. I can help you by extending their dialogues if you like. 

Pm me man im interested in helping out.

Feel free to add more to the dialogue if you feel up to it.  Its all in Dialogue.lua  you just add more lines to any of the tables just don't forget to add commas to the end and escape any half quotes ---> '  with backslashes ---> \'    Example "I\'m Hurt!",

And send me the file when your done.

Edited by nolanri

Made some updates to help you control your survivor party. 

1) lower or increase the follow distance with number pad + and -
Lowering it will make your survivors stay closer to you and not wander off to for example attack zombies.

Increasing it will make them not worry about following you until you get further away.

2) press enter to disable following, essentially making the survivors stay where they are in a guard mode.  they will attack anything that comes near them still.  Just press enter again when you want your party to start following you again. 

3) unrelated to commands really but also they will close doors behind them now

Edited by nolanri

Probably one of the best mods I've seen on the workshop. How far can development go? Is it feasible to have them eventually looting homes/establishing bases/barricading? At the moment they aren't very good at fighting zombies, which I think could be worked around with some way to track their panic, like health is tracked. If panic gets high enough, they flee, etc. Maybe starving survivors could turn hostile? Just spitballing ideas.

Anyways, the frequent updates are awesome, and I really love what you've done with the mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Now its much easier to give tasks to all members

Press tab (or the key you set) to toggle through your party members first. Then press [ and ] to toggle through possible orders. And press z to confirm the order.

Note: just like before Following takes priority so disable follow me (Enter key by default) if you want the survivors to work uninterrupted regardless of how far away you go from them

added some more orders  / commands you can give to your survivors friends. 

A patrol command to have them walk back and forth between 2 points and obviously engage any Zs or hostile people who they encounter while patrolling.

And a "explore" command that will have them wander around the general area somewhat randomly, also engaging any hostile foes if encountered.

• 1 month later...

i wonder why the moderators wont try to co operate with certain moders to make there game better....

*edit*

I meant the employee's of project zomboid like the development team, not the forum moderators. My bad

Edited by mariotusek

11 minutes ago, mariotusek said:

i wonder why the moderators wont try to co operate with certain moders to make there game better....

We try to help when we can, and if it's something we might know about, but ultimately moderators are volunteers on the forum. We're all proud of Nolan and what he's done for the modding community .

i was waiting for years for npc's and when i came back yesterday after a long long break of project zomboid i was happy to see some sort of npc mod that is actualy working fine. The bigest thing i like about this is that its compatible with the hydro craft and car mod, the moders really do a great job. When i see a single guy working on this and creating such exiting content i cant wait to see how the project zomboid team will make there npc's

Also nolan would it be possible to creat storage dedicated for food for npc's. So if the get hungry or thirsty the will go to that box and get food/water out of it

sure its possible,... just I did not have the end goal of the mod to be some kind of masterpiece.  From the start I had bare bones in mind.  So i just don't know how much more if any work will be done on this.  I tell you it would be far more enjoyable to work on if there was a bug and problem free working Survivor class I could work with.  This system uses Players class as survivors which causes a boat load of problems, the major problems have been worked around but it still frustrating.  Im especially sick of trying to explain to people how to paste java files in their install dir. 

• 2 weeks later...