[ANNOUNCE] Turn Based Zomboid Mod

lemmy101

So since I was a kid, I've always wanted to make a turn-based tactical game with Fallout / XCom / Laser Squad mechanics. My best bud growing up (since I was 5) and myself spent many many an night splitting XCom teams in half to make an improvised multiplayer version and even with the awesome new XCOM we still have an itch to scratch. He'll likely be co-designing this with me.

In fact, prior to zomboid, I actually did want to make one, even started dabbling, but it appealed less to Binky, and that led to our decision to do Zomboid since it needed to be something we were both passionate about. (ironically since the new XCOM his interests in the genre have risen, so who knows for the future!)

Well, now the proper modding system is in, I figured I'd make one as a mod! 

Things to bear in mind:

1) The MetaCombatSystem I'm writing demands a lot of the functionality that could be leveraged for a turn-based stuff. A lot of the work is required anyway and directly benefits NPCs and the meta-game.

2) This is a strictly out of hours thing, no one get mad. :P

3) There will be no version of this until NPCs are out, as a lot of the code it depends on can't be put into the main dev branch until NPCs go in.

So what's the plan?

Zomboid plays as usual, until the moment you get aggro (or combat with NPCs start), at which point it'll go into a combat mode (using just slightly tweaked (literally two lines of code) the system I'm currently working on for the combat in the vanilla game)

At that point you'll be moving your dudes one by one, you and any npcs in your party, proper Fallout style.

Other planned features = 

* Aim for body locations

* Cover system (ahem in vanilla, not sure why adding this as a feature)

* Multiplayer hotseat mode (with replays for next player) - to turn into over net once we have internet mp. Truth be told it may even beat vanilla to being online since it's about 100000000000 times simpler with turn based games.

* All the things I want in a turn based squad tactics game but have never got.

* Deep mechanics. Basically want this to be really deep and geeky.

Am I dreaming?

We've spent countless sleepless nights with cousin playing the SHIT out of Xcom. 3 members of our squad assigned to him, 3 to me. We've taken turns controlling each character until the turn is over. Endless possibilities and control over the progression of your squad, THAT TENSION, THAT TENSION...

We already have "weird square of light around the player" in the current .16 build, I can't see much problems implementing this "bug" into core features when you go into the turn based fight so you can see clearlier where to go. Adding additional blue/orange lines that show where you additionally are able to go? Oh man, I am getting too excited.

This sounds hella cool, I was actually thinking of trying to hack the Java files to do something like this back in the 0.1.5 era. Good thing in the end that the decompiled sources weren't legible enough for my sanity :P Looking forward to this as well!

Haha, this is pretty cool! Tbh, when this mod comes out I'll be switching between vanilla and this because both have downsides/upsides.

Turn-based, ruins the "panic" as players will essentially be able to pause the game and plan their next step.

Real-time, combat against human AI will be very clunky/robotic (at least in beginning stages).

In the beginning stages of human AI, I'll only use "turn-based" if it comes into play purely against human AI, as to keep that panic when a hoard of zombies comes chasing you. In the later stages of human AI however, I don't know what version I would play.

That is when. . . :cool:

The real war "Turn-based vs. Real-time" begins!

Oh thank god, it's a mod

For a second, thought you were going to scap off the old concept and get started with new turn based game

Personally not a big fan of turn based games.

Oh thank god, it's a mod

For a second, thought you were going to scap off the old concept and get started with new turn based game

Personally not a big fan of turn based games.

confused why you would EVER think this about a post in the modding forum :D or that we'd be that mental to fundamentally change the genre of the game 2 years since people started buying :P

also peeps, don't expect this too soon, obviously a good chunk of it is dev for zomboid NPCs anyhow, but the rest of it will have to wait for those moments where I really need a break from normal game dev, or once we hit Steam. The game comes first, goes without saying.

I usually just browse 'New content' and ignore subsections of the forum

Or it might be because of me being awake since the past 24 hours

Just bought the Fallout 1-2-Tactics Bundle so perfect news for me! I love Fallout and the round based combat system and if it is just two lines of code, why not :)?

Will this be a npc/pc only mod? Or will it affect Player vs Zombie as well?

As long as it will be similar to the Fallout system you will also fight the zombies that way.

Just bought the Fallout 1-2-Tactics Bundle so perfect news for me! I love Fallout and the round based combat system and if it is just two lines of code, why not :)?

wait no - the whole thing is far from two lines of code :D

I just mean the system I'm writing for NPC combat can be repurposed for a core turn-based engine with two lines of code :)

You want to create/modify it like an Jagged Allience ala Zomboid ?

(Jagged Zomboid, Project Zombiance, .....)

Sounds interesting, i like this shit too and maybe you can adapt a lot of these fine old game mechanics and "spice them up" with some new spirit. Good luck man!

Edit:  Look at all these "I think Fallaout started with Fallout 3 noobs" ;P