Removing glass from windows

Geonjaha

With the new medical system, there's actually a consequence of climbing through a window you just broke, which is great...for the most part.

Since this system seems to be in to punish people who want to get into a building quickly (e.g. when running from zombies) then maybe there should be an option to remove glass from broken windows to remove the possibility of getting injured. Have it take maybe 20 seconds (irl) to prevent people from using it when they're in a hurry, but still allowing those who are in no rush to actually get in safely.

If I'm alone next to a house I want to enter, and the only route is the window, I could easily spend the time breaking away the glass to prevent injury instead of just chancing it - it just ends up being a waste of time having to knock the door down just to play it safe.

Yes, proposed it several times, along with a few other people.

The short answer is there's no sprite of a window without glass yet, so it won't be added. Shame.

Wow, really?

How long would it take to add the sprite?  I could wait.  I know editing the sprite so the glass was missing would take... under a minute in paint.net.

xiYtY52.png

There are several different window sprites spanning nine or ten compressed pngs. But yes, adding cleared windows would not be that difficult from a game art point of view, and it could be implemented without a graphical change to smashed windows if there was a wait on additional assets.

Luckily wounds sustained from climbing through broken glass aren't terribly serious right now.

There are several different window sprites spanning nine or ten compressed pngs. But yes, adding cleared windows would not be that difficult from a game art point of view, and it could be implemented without a graphical change to smashed windows if there was a wait on additional assets.

Luckily wounds sustained from climbing through broken glass aren't terribly serious right now.

It's not something hard to add, really! Inexpensive and simple. It could be added eventually pretty quick, I bet.

It's not something hard to add, really! Inexpensive and simple. It could be added eventually pretty quick, I bet.

Multiple types of windows from multiple directions, potentially necessitating hard-coding into the game, and the Lua functionality . . . neh. Somewhat above simple.

Nothing is ever as simple as it should be . . .

Multiple types of windows from multiple directions, potentially necessitating hard-coding into the game, and the Lua functionality . . . neh. Somewhat above simple.

If only there were a waaay.. :ph34r:

I wondered about this as well.  I thought perhaps that mechanic was already there when I first tried so I took a couple of extra swings at the window to try and knock out as much glass is possible,  They had done so many things so well I expected it to work.  No one can think of everything though.

Perhaps then, we could have the ability to wear gloves or wrap our hands in fabric to avoid being cut by glass? Seriously, this is ridiculous, my character died from a window cut.

What, really? Window cuts have never been life-threatening to me.. nowadays though, you need tweezers, disinfectant, and a bandage.

The issue with this detailing is that this new detail requires many items that are not available in abundance. I couldn't find tweezers in the game, and had gone through 2 bottles of alcohol trying to disinfect my character, but alas, even though something like a fork or even fingers would work in this scenario, solely because he didn't have tweezers, he couldn't disinfect himself and died. Ridiculous.

I take back what I said about glass wounds not being serious. I nearly lost a character to a window cut today, as well. I suffered a deep wound with glass shards in it. I had a pair of tweezers to get rid of the glass, but not a needle and thread. Bandaging didn't stop the health loss, so I had to make a mad dash for the clinic to find something to stitch the wound up, hemorrhaging all the way. I didn't die, but now I'm suffering from an unusual bug where I can't get rid of the stitches - removing them gives me a scratch, which I then have to bandage, and when I try to change the bandage the stitches reappear.

Recently came to a toolshed near a house with only one window and a large slide door (not functional) - failed to pry window and... decided to flee the horrid horrid challenge of entering the toolshed with no zombies around within alarm hearing range. Had a hammer with me, could have gotten any other tool and spen a game hour of time - but the window was beyond the ability of a mortal man to penetrate. And so I was undone. Vae victis.

P.S. Writing this understood that there's still a sledge. The only item not yet found in this run. It gives da reason to live.

• 3 months later...

It should be possible to let someone open a window at least after its broken no? No new sprites needed, just use the open window sprite after they open the broken window~

At the very least "that" seems possible as a place holder until someone wants to edit some broken window sprites.