Salting meat + Salt Mine?

Croak90

So it's been suggested a million times for us to be able to salt/smoke/dry meat to make it last much longer. While salting is a great way to preserve food in general, it takes a LOT of salt. More than a single salt shaker. So I thought maybe a salt mine could be added, if that's not too out there for Kentucky's farmland. Nothing like a Minecraft mine where you go in, get ore, then smelt it into iron tools, just a pre dug mine with salt deposits that you need a spade and an empty sand bag to collect from. And I don't think it should be an unlimited amount of salt. Just a ridiculous amount that would take dozens of trips to collect it all and a warehouse on its own to store it all. That way we can have enough salt for seasoning and preserving food for years without scouring hundreds of houses just to preserve a single leg of venison for a year (realistically with the current spawn rate of salt shakers).

I'm not quite sure of (I mean,I know nothing about) the geography of Ketuncky or whether salt mines exist there. If they don't, perhaps finding large bags of salt in bakeries, food-type factories, grocery stores .etc would be a reasonable compromise? As I understand it, multi-kg bags are often used in those settings.

I know you listed these other ways, which is why it stroke me as odd you specifically wanted a salt mine added when there are plenty of ways to preserve foodstuffs that people would realistically utilize once salt runs out (and before, too).

I'm not quite sure of (I mean,I know nothing about) the geography of Ketuncky or whether salt mines exist. If they don't, perhaps finding large bags of salt in bakeries, food-type factories, grocery stores .etc would be a reasonable compromise? As I understand it, multi-kg bags are often used in those settings.

Salt mines do exist, but I have never heard of one in Kentucky, they are more out west

To harakka, because one way would get boring. It's really as simple as that. Maybe that's not good enough for the devs, but then that's why suggestion forums exist.

Salt bags are another thing I had thought of, but not quite as interesting as the prospect of spelunking in an abandoned mine with the undead.

I'm doing a little looking and haven't found anything specific on salt mine locations yet, but the Morton Salt company apparently has a terminal in Cincinnati (Literally on the northern border of Kentucky) so the idea of a salt warehouse wouldn't be unheard of. I'd post a link but for some reason quotes, links, etc don't work for me and I can't figure out why. Can't even copy and paste into the replies.

To harakka, because one way would get boring. It's really as simple as that. Maybe that's not good enough for the devs, but then that's why suggestion forums exist.

Salt bags are another thing I had thought of, but not quite as interesting as the prospect of spelunking in an abandoned mine with the undead.

I'm doing a little looking and haven't found anything specific on salt mine locations yet, but the Morton Salt company apparently has a terminal in Cincinnati (Literally on the northern border of Kentucky) so the idea of a salt warehouse wouldn't be unheard of. I'd post a link but for some reason quotes, links, etc don't work for me and I can't figure out why. Can't even copy and paste into the replies.

try CTRL-C to copy the link and CTRL-V to paste it

I do that and the spacer makes a little jump down but doesn't actually paste anything. I have to type it out. Give me a moment.

A moment and an edit later:

The Morton Salt's page- http://www.mortonsalt.com/our-company/our-locations

A known mineral concentration map- http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/mapdata/minesmap.gif

It seems like the closest location for salt would be down in Georgia's Appalachian mountains. Funnily enough, looks like there are a TON of coal mines in Kentucky. Guess we don't need to worry about running out of firewood? :P

Yeah, coal is pretty common here in Kentucky and West Virginia. It actually wouldn't too big of a stretch to find the occasional vein of coal that you could dig out a little and get coal. Whether or not the devs want to add something like that, I dunno.

Perhaps collecting river water in a pan and letting it dry out? It works wonders near the ocean. If any body of water in the playable area is mildly salty, you could be able to collect some over time. Whether you can collect enough this way for it to be worth doing is a different matter entirely.

I'm not quite sure of (I mean,I know nothing about) the geography of Ketuncky or whether salt mines exist there. If they don't, perhaps finding large bags of salt in bakeries, food-type factories, grocery stores .etc would be a reasonable compromise? As I understand it, multi-kg bags are often used in those settings.

I work in a grocery store/ bakery and you are correct, in my store atleast we do have a kilo bag of salt, though it is mixed with cumin. Not sure about US stores, but it sounds reasonable that they would have a similar setup.

In my opinion adding a new item, such as a kilo bag of salt would be a better option than adding a salt mine. In addition isn't rock salt (Halite) a rock and would need pickaxe, not a spade to be collected?

Big bags of salt found in a bakery or grocer store would be an excellent, early method for preserving food. You wouldn't have to build a smokehouse or anything before using it. Salt mine, probably not. Nowhere in the area that I'm aware of could produce salt naturally.

• 8 months later...

To add to the suggestion of salted meat:

salted food should provide a major thirst increase, so the player can have a choice:

not preserve food and risk it spoiling, or salt it - but in doing so endanger his water supplies

Also it would be nice, with high enough cooking skill, to be able to see how long your preserved food will be fresh.

Check your local walmart?

Its stocked with more than enough salt for years upon years.

Not many people would place salt on a high priority list of things to get. IMO we should have more basic goods like sugar as opposed to canned foods or chips.

People would take food over ingredients any day during the zombie uprisings.

To add to the suggestion of salted meat:

salted food should provide a major thirst increase, so the player can have a choice:

not preserve food and risk it spoiling, or salt it - but in doing so endanger his water supplies

Also it would be nice, with high enough cooking skill, to be able to see how long your preserved food will be fresh.

Those are both actually really good ideas!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea, although IRL salting isn't the most reliable method of preservation, but I guess it's an option which could be alternative to pickling stuff, which takes rare resources as of now (them jar lids (T-T) Y U NO PUT THE LIDS ON TOP OF THE JAR!?)

• MadDan locked this topic