OMG too many zombies’

imortalz

Just praticing before the patch come   (clyde)

that`s a paddlin?

small edit to put people in context since i dont want more then 8 message saying im crazy.

thats from this week mondoid

Buildin’ hordes

We got lots of enthusiastic ‘thumbs up’ motions from our internal testers when we gave them the upcoming build – especially in relation to its rebalanced (read: raised) zombie counts. New survivors should beware… hordes are coming back, and they’re not pleasant to deal with.

We’re braced for a torrent of ‘OMG too many zombies’ forum posts when the build hits, but we think it necessary to get the zed-count and difficulty levels back to what it was in pre-Steam Muldraugh. You’re gonna get munched, but that’s how things roll in and around Knox Country…

To be fair, there's a lot of new players that are finding the game pretty easy. And zombie spawns haven't felt right to me for a little while over the past couple of builds. I'm looking forward to dangerous hordes on the highways and town centres again!

See we are making jokes now, but wait until the patch is released when we find out RJ has specifically been lulling us into this "There will be more zombies, but it isn't TOO many zombies." then BAM. You start the game, sea of zombies everywhere. Nowhere to run, only death every time. We will cry as RJ laughs maniacally at the effectiveness of his plan. 

Nah, I'm sure it will be fine.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/14mrn6u.jpg

uploaded pic!

So that's what left of the horde from my killing spree, using 230 bullets ... killed about 180 Zs I think and those left here ... a hundred?

So yeah, not enough Zombies!

thats not a horde,

see those how they are in tigth and dense cluster , that was the curretn problem with zombie they are too scattered.

vIfoqBq.jpg

dNky4l1.png

uploaded pic!

So that's what left of the horde from my killing spree, using 230 bullets ... killed about 180 Zs I think and those left here ... a hundred?

thats not a horde,

Well that depends on how you look at it. If you're talking about the square formations that were before the steam launch (and were very much complained about) then no, but after steam the 'hordes' were a lot more scattered and I actually like that. The fact that there are less zombies and there are no such hordes at all and they don't move that much is what's a bit iffy atm.

When World of Warcraft: Cataclysm started (and as I was bailing out of the game) Deathwing used to occasionally fly by and insta-kill everything in entire zones with fire breath. I think PZ needs this =D

Well what do you think dragons are for?

EDIT: damn ninja'd again

All they have to do is program it so hordes dont start to show up until your like a week in- that way its still noob friendly but long term survival is a callenge

See this is the problem. How are we meant to do this if any time we 'spawn' a zombie everyone goes nuts and hates it. We have no ability to make new zombies at any location of the map you've already explored because no matter how we do this we always get endless cries of spawning zombies.  ;)

it used to be that we created a horde from the busy area of town and moved it to location of gunshots etc, but I had to remove this because even zombies legitimately brought from other end of town just had endless torrent of complaints :P so now zombies only ever attracted from the streamed in area around the player.

Well obviously the zombies are going to be more of a challenge once NPCs make their way back into the county. Zombies will be tailing other players and if you're being more of a distraction (making more noise, getting too close, or in their general view) then the zombies should go after you instead.

I really think gunshots should bring in zombies from a greater distance though.

All they have to do is program it so hordes dont start to show up until your like a week in- that way its still noob friendly but long term survival is a callenge

See this is the problem. How are we meant to do this if any time we 'spawn' a zombie everyone goes nuts and hates it. We have no ability to make new zombies at any location of the map you've already explored because no matter how we do this we always get endless cries of spawning zombies.  ;)

it used to be that we created a horde from the busy area of town and moved it to location of gunshots etc, but I had to remove this because even zombies legitimately brought from other end of town just had endless torrent of complaints :P so now zombies only ever attracted from the streamed in area around the player.

how about putting a couple of cimetery around? people CANT complain about zombie spawning from there can they?

uploaded pic!

thats not a horde,

Well that depends on how you look at it. If you're talking about the square formations that were before the steam launch (and were very much complained about) then no, but after steam the 'hordes' were a lot more scattered and I actually like that. The fact that there are less zombies and there are no such hordes at all and they don't move that much is what's a bit iffy atm.

i personnally think that we need the square formation, its good to be scared of the zombie, thats what made the game awesome, loose formation are to easy to kill 1 by 1 .

I think that they could straight up increase the population of zombies for the standard mode. I'm playing in the north town and found the town center to be quite sparsely populated. I went round with my trusty spiked bat and cleared out the police station and Giga mart on my own. I was expecting the place to be rammed out with wall to wall zed instead there was about 20-30 zed that were well spread out enough for me to just dive in and whale on them.  Either that or make the scratch animation act faster as I've seen them start to hit me but I can get away everytime without being injured.

just my humble thought on the matter, maybe an organic way of creating hordes would be to have a few Charismatic zombies, identical to normal zombies to the player but with a much higher chance to roam around and a chance to attract zombies it gets close to and make them follow along.

this way it could be fully randomised the "charasmatic zombies" will be generated at the begining of the game with all the others but with a very very low chance (maybe 10 or so in whole map) wouldnt be a real threat until they have had time to recruit a posse

you could also completely randomize their path (something like one randomly generated number representing direction (with a slight bias to the center of the map) and another for distance with primate path finding (bash or go around) so they are an ever present threat from any direction

:)

parting thought- you could even add a sandbox option for hoarding instinct which could alter the spawn rate and area of atraction of the "charasmatic Zombie" making hordes much more likely

Edited by Simon816

-Secretly terrified at the thought of moar zombs...

Yeah! Yeah, that's great and stuff...More zombies...

So even bigger clusters?! When I sneak past them I level up practically instantly! It's amazing. You really should add some more area of effect weapons than molotov cocktails, but I can't complain with what we got already. Amazing game guys!

I was one of those that was bitching about it(mainly the hordes attaching to roamers and inside my base). Mark me a changed man Plz god bring it back its to easy now. As long as they don't spawn in the walls of my base I am good with how it used to be. Dont make me get on my knees and beg (i will) :)