Server Access Level

RobertJohnson

From build 35.17, you'll be able to set different access level for your admin staff using /setaccesslevel "username" "accesslevel" option or directly inside the server database.

List of access level possible: admin, moderator, overseer, gm, observer.

This is what they all can do:

(please note this list is subject to changes, this post is also to discuss about them)

Observer:

•   Toggle god mod (on himself only)
  •   Toggle invisible (on himself only)
  •   See players connected (/players)
  •   Teleport to a player (can't teleport a player elsewhere)
  •   Can toggle noclip (on himself only)
  •   Teleport to coordinates
  •   See server options
  •   Can open locked doors
  •   Can go inside safehouses
  •   Can't be kicked if too laggy
  •   Can always join server (even if full)
  •   Can talk even being invisible
  •   Sees invisible players
  •   Can't be hit by players
  •   Log directly invisible/invincible
  •   Can see players stats (name, skill, traits...) with click on player -> Check Stats (but can't modify them)

GM:

•   Everything an Observer can use, plus:
  •   Toggle god mod (on himself and others)
  •   Toggle invisible (on himself and others)
  •   Can toggle noclip (on himself and others)
  •   Teleport to a player to another player  
  •   Use /alarm, /gunshot, /thunder and /chopper
  •   Start/Stop rain
  •   Add item
  •   Add xp

Overseer:

•   Everything a GM can use, plus:
  •   Create horde
  •   Kick user
  •   Display server message
  •   See connection info of a player
  •   Disconnect a player by connection number (/disconnect)
  •   Use /nightlengthmodifier
  •   Can modify player stats in the player stats UI
  •   Can ban a player from /all chat

Moderator:

•   Everything an Overseer can use, plus:
  •   Ban/Unban user (including steam ID)
  •   Manipulate whitelist (/adduser, /addusertowhitelist, /addalltowhitelist, /removeuserfromwhitelist
  •   Change access level (can't set admin)
  •   Can setup safehouses

Admin:

•   Everything a Moderator can use, plus:
  •   Save world
  •   Quit world
  •   Change access level (including admin)
  •   Reload server options
  •   Change server options
  •   Send pulse
  •   Reload Lua files
  •   Bypass Lua checksum

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, RobertJohnson said:

From build 35.17, you'll be able to set different access level for your admin staff using /setaccesslevel "username" "accesslevel" option or directly inside the server database.

List of access level possible: admin, moderator, overseer, gm, observer.

*snip*

Running IWBUMS for my dedicated server I've tried all variations of this command (including different access levels) and it returns:
java.lang.NullPointerException

at zombie.network.GameServer.handleServerCommand(GameServer.java:1740)

at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:735)

Any idea what would cause this? Alternately, are there files I can manually modify to make myself an admin? (Note: when I open the server database all fields show as blanks.)

• 4 months later...
On 9/24/2016 at 10:16 PM, Teesee said:

Typo spotted : Moderator can do "everything a Counselor can do" but there's no such thing as a Counselor. I guess you meant Overseer ;)

Old topic, but actually "Counselor" could be less confusing, as at the moment the names "Observer" and "Overseer" are a little similar (especially if anyone would like to shortcut the names to first letter - A, M, O C, G, O

• 9 months later...
On 7.11.2016 at 3:28 AM, EnigmaGrey said:

That should be the case in the future.

Any news on this front?

Reason why I'm asking:

I want to alter the Moderator so that it no longer has the power to set access levels, but instead can use the "/quit" command.

Even better would be a restart command, but don't know if this would be feasible for linux (especially LGSM).

• 4 months later...

are we able to disable the powers so we can play legit, when not needed?

seems its already done for admin's in hosting clientside option!

but what about dedicated server? powers seem to always be on?!

anyway to turn them on/off when needed? like the same option to disable or enable admin or w/e rank you are?

Edited by Rainoa

10 hours ago, Rainoa said:

are we able to disable the powers so we can play legit, when not needed?

seems its already done for admin's in hosting clientside option!

but what about dedicated server? powers seem to always be on?!

anyway to turn them on/off when needed? like the same option to disable or enable admin or w/e rank you are?

Not really, you should have an admin account & do a regular player on the side, i meant this to avoid people in big servers having permissions and boosting their own character

On 2018-06-02 at 6:10 AM, RobertJohnson said:

Not really, you should have an admin account & do a regular player on the side, i meant this to avoid people in big servers having permissions and boosting their own character

I regret advocating for this, given those that abused it ended up being quarantined.

Can we reverse course now?

Either change this or that the admin account doesn't count towards the maximum account limit. Having this set to 2 to just be able to have an admin char and a normal char opens the server up for everybody creating a second char for looting and one main char for everything else like leveling.

• 1 year later...

Why so many, so open to cheating and server bashing ??

With all the power given, waiting to see how many post up in later time that there server was taken over/ shut down by an angry Mod/player.

(Manipulate whitelist,   Change access level,  See server options - Nope, just nope)

Why not something easy:

Helper/Observer:  
Basic use,
kick, mute
Answer tickets,
Teleport to player
Toggle- Can't be hit by players

MoD: 
As above+,
Can modify player stats in the player stats UI,
Ban, Unban
Can always join server (even if full) ,

Admin:  

Full power.

can not be kicked, banned

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd love to delegate privileges to users, but even Observer gives way too much. This lets them change sandbox settings? Way too much power.

I'd like to let some users have the brush tool without any other "moderator" type access. These are people who are just really invested in the server and want to build beyond what's allowed w/o admin tools.

Some users should be able to mute/kick/ban. These players would probably also be able to remove cars. These would be "moderator" type players that could handle stuff in my absence, but this group is too large to give all privileges. They'd also be able to reset passwords and modify safehouses.

I wouldn't want to give everyone above the ability to spawn items or enable god/invisible modes. That would just be me and maybe a few other very trusted admins. I wouldn't want to give these users the ability to remove or change my super admin account.

I don't want anyone but me changing settings.

Having a bunch of permissions that could be assigned to made up roles, which users could be put into, would be a nice modification of the existing paradigm.

• 2 months later...

I need a version of an Overseer that does not see player connection info, but all the other abilities are good, like create horde, nightlength modifier, stat modify, server message.

Is there a file somewhere that lets us edit it to create custom roles? To assign permissions selectively and create a new, in-between accesslevel? Or at least shuffle permissions around, from Overseer to Moderator. It seems like creating hordes and changing night length or player stats, at least to me, are still, like, narrative game-based gamemastery powers, where as seeing players connection information is crossing more into administrator powers, and the Overseer is a weird bleed of the two, but I need a gamemaster who has all the game/environment changing powers, but not "finding out who real life players of the characters are" powers. Can't be that uncommon.