Kerbal Madness

EnigmaGrey

It may not be the most practical design but I'm impressed you got that in the air.  If you added more intakes you could probably take that thing into the upper atmosphere.

I'll give it a shot. And start figuring out a way to decrease its mass a bit -- really need the speed for those air intakes to be effective.

Well, here's mine. These were taken in a older version of Kerbal, as the new one broke most of the mods I was using so I've not updated yet.

Here's Thor's Hammer (voyager one was a placeholder name) - the payload is the Hubble space telescope

screenshot15_zpsb2f0d9aa.png

screenshot20_zps012f18a4.png

screenshot25_zps70fef3a1.png

screenshot27_zpsbe2ef0f8.jpg

And here's a screenshot from the telescope itself of the Death St... I mean of the Moon - screenshot14_zpsf14245f4.png

Telescope without its makeshift coverings - screenshot9_zpsb1a0c9a7.png

My heavy payload rocket, designed to carry my rover to the moon - screenshot80_zpsef3b5878.png

screenshot44_zps14df693c.png

screenshot65_zps7b0ac5be.png

screenshot43_zpsbe53eca1.png

Basic rockets for testing -

screenshot31_zps6097b8bf.png

screenshot3_zps9fa4e142.png

That hubble telescope is pretty awesome.  I should get something like that to put on my next mission so I can have a camera pointed at the planet I'm orbiting. :D

Jool Sattelite Probe

j1%20(1).jpg

The probe, shown here as a complicated mess of struts, support beams and parts against a backdrop of complicated support beams and struts. Also with a fairing base and nose cone!

j1%20(7).jpg

The rocket that will launch that probe. It's simple compared to most of my rockets; all it has to do is fly to Jool and circularize.

j1%20(13).jpg

We have liftoff.

j1%20(8).jpg
j1%20(2).jpg

Some cool shots of the rocket during ascent. See if you can tell which one isn't part of the same flight as the rest of these. ;)

j1%20(14).jpg

The solid boosters have detatched (finally, may have gone overboard with those) and the liquid engine is now throttled up. At this point my rocket started to spin wildly. I tried to correct for it but it was just eating my monopropellant. I eventually decided not to try to control it since there was nobody alive on board and I was still on course. Science!

j1%20(3).jpg

Thankfully the spinning stopped after I decoupled the huge fuel tank and engine. the fairings come off in this stage too - we aren't re-entering an atmosphere so there's no reason to carry that extra weight all the way to Jool.

j1%20(9).jpg

The engine in this stage is designed to be a scaled-up version of the atomic engine - highly fuel-efficient but a bad thrust-to-weight ratio. I'm not fighting gravity (much) in space so all I care about is fuel efficency. This engine is efficent enough to get me all the way to the outer solar system on the fuel I have left.

j1%20(15).jpg

The rocket during an interplanetary burn. The sun makes for some cool silhouette shots.

j1%20(4).jpg

Hello you great big emerald you.

j1%20(10).jpg

Attempting to circularize around Jool. In this shot I'm actualy starting to be in danger of falling into the atmosphere (starts at 200km) and I don't have enough fuel left to circularize. I ended up using what fuel was left to get myself in an elliptical orbit around Jool. My periapsis is a bit low, but I can use the ion engine on the probe to correct that - slowly - and I'm no longer moving at escape velocity.

Due to the craziness of trying to save my probe I forgot to get a good screenshot of it seperating from the engine. Here are some that I took once I was a bit safer:

j1%20(5).jpg
j1%20(6).jpg
j1%20(17).jpg
j1%20(12).jpg

• 1 month later...

Quick OT-Question sorry

Is it worth the money? it costs like 23€ here...

Science experiments have gone a long way to making it more of a game, rather than MineCraft Creative Mode.

So it really depends on what you value. If just beating the game's systems and doing something cool gets you, it's a good game for you. If you want more, I'd wait a little longer.

That's a lot of money to spend. :D

Quick OT-Question sorry

Is it worth the money? it costs like 23€ here...

Science experiments have gone a long way to making it more of a game, rather than MineCraft Creative Mode.

So it really depends on what you value. If just beating the game's systems and doing something cool gets you, it's a good game for you. If you want more, I'd wait a little longer.

That's a lot of money to spend. :D

hmm, I can see myself experimenting with it, but I dont know if it is worth the money for me

should have bought it when it was on sale last time damnit

• 3 weeks later...