Kerbal Madness

EnigmaGrey

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, now, seriously... looking at these screenshots... I have NO FSCKING IDEA how to make something like that.

I have trouble getting a kerbal on Minmus and back. Usually I returned by abusing non-existing features in KPS like entering the atmosphere of Kerbal at a smooth 3500 m/s at a direct impact vector.

Are there any good tutorials about how to bring a rover anywhere? A moon base? A space station? _Anything_?

I found some vids on youtube that show how to get into a 100 km Orbit and from there to Mun / Minmus, but anything beyond that is just, pardon, rocket wizardry to me...

Seriously, I don't even manage to assemble anything properly. I tried replicating some rovers / rockets but the pieces just won't fit like one would expect.

If you read the devnotes I posted above, you know to expect some new handy ingame tutorials for .24. For now, youtube and the official forums are probably the best address for tips&tricks&tutorials.

On youtube, I learned how to rendezvous and to dock and that's the most difficult thing in KSP in my opinion. Even more difficult than interplanetary travels. Interplanetary travels are basically rendezvous with very big objects, that have gravitational influence on you. And that's what makes it easier. So once you've learned how to rendezvous, many other gameplay contents will be kinda "unlocked" and possible for you, like building a space station or the mentioned interplanetary travel.

Well, building a base consisting out of multiple parts on a planet with an atmosphere is pretty tough as well, because it's hard to estimate the same exact landing site for every part from orbit due to atmo-effects. But one step after the other. And if you train and just play the game, all those things that were so difficult become routine. You will come to a point at which you don't even think about what to do next and everything you do will be automized.

I will look for some nice tutorials on the weekend for you which helped me a lot when I learned all that stuff. :) Don't have time right now.

I will look for some nice tutorials on the weekend for you which helped me a lot when I learned all that stuff. :) Don't have time right now.

That would be much appreciated!

I have downloaded a few of Steve Manleys videos over last night, but Hotel WiFi at ~ 100kB/s make that an excercise in patience.

I _did_, however, manage to land two rovers (woohoo!) on the Mun within 2km of each other.

I _did_, however, manage to land two rovers (woohoo!) on the Mun within 2km of each other.

Screenshot or it never happened! :P

Or tell me at least, if you landed them with a skycrane or dropped them directly on the surface from a lander via dockingport/decoupler?

I have a few screenshots of the first rover and the construction of the second. I'll post a pic of the landed second rover later when off-work:

The "lander" with the rover coming down: https://oc.anderdonau.de/public.php?service=files&t=cf646c053f017e1f074ba7475de00547

The "first" landing stage with the rover on top and an RCS second landing stage on top of the rover: https://oc.anderdonau.de/public.php?service=files&t=c822ecdfad749710ee1870a2c2db4068

The rover and the remains of the carrying vehicle: https://oc.anderdonau.de/public.php?service=files&t=4ad1251a095f68c98e12ced3c217388e

The second rover with its carrying vehicle. A bitch to get out of Kerbins atmosphere: https://oc.anderdonau.de/public.php?service=files&t=37f2039c6ae096a678e777d8fb1867fd

Right now I use docking ports.

lol at the carrying vehicle :) So many struts. The last pic showing the whole rocket is a bit confusing. So the rover is on top of that thing, isn't it? But what are the wheels for then? Landing? But on the previous pics, the rover wasn't landed with the "wheels lander" on the mun. And why are there so many 300-RCS tanks? And are you familiar with asparagus staging?

Oh and please let me ask one more thing. On the screenshot where you landed on the mun, why are there landing legs above the stage with the landing legs that landed? Can't see any science instruments on the rover...I'm sorry, I'm just wondering and probably have exceeded the allowed questions per post ^^

It looks like a complicated mission but you managed to bring both rovers to the mun, so congrats! :)

lol at the carrying vehicle :) So many struts. The last pic showing the whole rocket is a bit confusing. So the rover is on top of that thing, isn't it? But what are the wheels for then? Landing? But on the previous pics, the rover wasn't landed with the "wheels lander" on the mun. And why are there so many 300-RCS tanks? And are you familiar with asparagus staging?

Oh and please let me ask one more thing. On the screenshot where you landed on the mun, why are there landing legs above the stage with the landing legs that landed? Can't see any science instruments on the rover...I'm sorry, I'm just wondering and probably have exceeded the allowed questions per post ^^

It looks like a complicated mission but you managed to bring both rovers to the mun, so congrats! :)

The rover is the thing at the top, yes. It's probably a pretty ridiculous design.

The wheels are part of the rover :D You'll see when I upload the pics later. The RCS tanks are for rescuing the rover if it falls over.

My idea with the previous was to have a rover on a "pedestal" with landing legs and an engine to get down to the surface. Now, I had leftover fuel in my previous stage (lots of it) so I kept using that stage.

Shortly before touch down I separated that stage from the lower landing leg stage which landed on Mun as planned. Then I detached the rover and wanted to use the RCS to pull it back up a bit, then to the side, then land and decouple the rover. Then start the RCS stage again and set it back down somewhere so it'll look nice. Didn't manage that last part so well, though :-)

Look at this giant rover from an old savegame:

rpo23wP.jpg

It always reminds of an insect. Besides two fuel engines on every side, I think it also had two ION electric engines on its back for forward acceleration That's why it had so many atomic reactors and these big solar panels on board.

It's... beautiful!

Also, yeah, I'm familiar with Asparagus Staging but I have no idea where I would put the rover in that case...

You inspired me to do another rover mission to the mun, blindcoder. And it went pretty well :)

I had to ascent pretty steep. Otherwise my rocket would have gotten out of control under Farrom Aerospace if you had moved too far away from the prograde vector during the launch in low altitudes. So my gravity turn was pretty late and rough. Nevertheless, thanks to asparagus, I got it into orbit.

The landing on the mun could have been better. I dropped the rover in a high too high altitude above the surface but it survived without any damage. When I tried to land the small carrying ship, I almost forgot to ditch the small construction that held the rover underneath it before I landed. I noticed it in almost the last moment. But yeah, it all went well. If you ask yourself, why the rover can support an ION electric engine, it's because there are 24 atomic reactors inside of it. The rover itself consists of about 82 parts.

If you want to witness, I made a video of the mission but had to cut the video into two parts because of youtube's 15min video rule. I also apologize for the oldschool 4:3 format but my 16:9 TFT is broken and because I'm such a poor student, who can't afford a new monitor without drastically limiting his beersupply budget, I have to use my old one :P

Btw, blindcoder, I looked for the specific tutorial video about docking which I mentioned. But I couldn't find it. However, there are plenty of other vids on the web that should explain things as well as that one. If you still have problems then, just ask again :)

Edit: Outtake (The SpaceKraken strikes once more when I tried to lower the roverwheels?)

Aaand another video! From the official KSP modding mondays blog showing off helldiver's Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System aka. Kerbin Mini Shuttle.

Oh, the shuttle is so cuute! ^_^

Here's the forum entry.

Edit:

Wow, I had one of the most intense landings ever with this shuttle. Unfortunately, this mod is not working well with farrom and deadly reentry. The heat shield of the main landing gear doesn't work and you have to be very very careful when you re-enter. You have to point the nose very high above your prograde vector and you have to perform a double-dip reentry. Otherwise your shuttle will explode when you kill all of your orbital velocity in one attempt.

But with this method, you will overshoot your landing target significantly. I had no fuel left and had to try to land on the second old KSP center runway. I came in waayy too fast and the brakes are pretty weak on the landing gear, so I overshot the runway a bit. But the crew survived! Thanks to Jeb! This is what was left from the shuttle:

aj3jn0r.png

Apart from that, this mod is definately worth to give it a try. Although, for my taste, the gimbal and the engine power of the shuttle itself is way too overpowered. But I really like the stubby style that fits perfectly into the KSP game.

Alright, time for shameless self promotion. After much hype, the first episode of "Geordie Space Program" is now available on Ewok and my Youtube channel. So, for your viewing pleasure and without further ado, behold!

As always, comments, likes and subscriptions are much appreciated, and rewarded with double-beardy-man-love <3

Edit, parts 2 and 3 are now available on our channel, won't embed the links because it seems a bit tactless to try and hijack with even more self promotion ;)