Kerbal Madness

EnigmaGrey

When you put your first rocket on the launch pad and I saw the staging on the left side I started to grin because I knew what'll happen. Nice video!

Oh, by the way, the chute did not work because physic time warp was active :)

I tried to warn him, I honestly did, but I had a mouthful of coffee at the time.

In my own play through of career mode I'm stuggling to make a craft capable of orbiting the mun and returning home-  can't seem to get the balance right between weight, fuel and thrust. Any tips you guys could give me?

Do you use mods or don't you want to use them? There's a mod called Kerbal Space Engineer Redux, which calculates how much DeltaV, weight, thrust, thrust-to-weight-ratio etc. your rocket has. And that Inside the VAB/SPH, so before you actually put the rocket onto the launch pad. Especially the DeltaV-count helps a lot to estimate how far your rocket can travel. If I'm not wrong, you need about 3.2km DeltaV to go into orbit around Kerbin. And you need at least more than 1.0 TWR (thrust-to-weight) to lift off from Kerbins surface. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Of couse, you can calculate all the numbers by yourself, too, if you want. But it helps a lot for training and to get a feeling for the parts. But in the end, it's experience, what's the most valuable factor in this all.

If you right-click the engines in the VAB/SPH, you should be aware of the thrust the engine provides. For the lower stages (the ascent stages), more thrust is required to lift your rocket. You can check the TWR if it's enough. The downside of more thrust is always more fuel consumption and less efficient engines. In higher altitutes, you don't need so much thrust anymore and therefore should choose more efficient engines.

The efficiency of the rockets can be seen at the ISP (Specific Impulse) number of the engines. Its kinda like the push per fuel the engine provides. There's an ISP value for inside an atmosphere and in vacuum. The higher the number, the better. The atomic engine, for example has the highest ISP in vacuum. This is why you should take those for interplanetary travel as often as possible. But yeah, as I said, the more efficient engines have lower thrust. That's why atomics suck for ascents, but are superior in space.

The next thing is flying the damn thing. During ascent, in vanilla KSP, try to have your prograde vector at 45° (navball's surface mode) when you reach about 12km altitude. But you should do it slowly. The more you point away from your prograde vector (for example, when performing a too harsh gravity turn) the less efficient it is. Keep on leveling your rocket slowly relative to the surface: The perfect ascent is when you hit your desired apoapsis with orbital speed (around 2,2km/s for a 70km orbit) in one single burn.

When you want to go to the mun, burn prograde when the mun pops up on the horizont. In other words, when your ship, kerbin and the mun together build a 90° angle. But of course, you should use the maneuver node on the map to make sure you do it most efficient. When you reach the SOI of the mun, burn retrograde shortly before your mun's periapsis. You should also create a manuveur node for this at the periapsis. When performing maneuver nodes, you can see how long you have to thrust at full power. Try to burn so that the time to reach the manuveur node is 0 when you performed half of the burn.

You should also become familiar to asparagus staging when your rockets are very big, because that's the most fuel saving staging method you can have on your rocket. But don't get me wrong, if you have problems that you run out of fuel, it doesn't necessarily mean that your rocket has to be bigger to have more fuel available. It's often just an efficiency issue. Take into account that every part has weight and drag when you build your rocket. Even the tiny helpful struts. And always use the most efficient engine for every stage and situation.

...But sometimes it's just: MOOOAAARRR BOOOOSSTAAAARSSS!!!!! :twisted:

So, I've now also installed a shit-ton of mods. Aaaand yeah, made the game much more fun :)

Currently I'm deploying communication satellites everywhere. Got 8 of them in a 500 km orbit around Kerbin and 7 in 400 km orbit around Mun.

I can carry 8 satellites with any one launch and successfully deployed the 7 Mun satellites in one launch. The eigth was taken back to Kerbin, but disintegrated in the atmosphere due to a staging mistake (whoops, staged all but the cockpit and its parachutes...).

Now I'm trying to actually land something at the Mun so I can do science while I science.

• 2 weeks later...

I have built something strange yesterday. All the keys were switched around:

- W pitched my nose up and S pitched it down

- A yawed right and D yawed left

- Q rolled right and E rolled left

Obviously, this screwed up SAS and MJ. Damn, I'll never be able to build cool stuff :-(

• 3 weeks later...

Well, let's play with boosters.

2gTnJzL.jpg

Probably capable of getting further with proper staging.

I3vzb8t.jpg

Surprisingly, able to escape orbit in its present form, even if it intentionally explodes on stage 2.

But, as per it's majestic design, I have had only one successful flight with it.

. . . One day perhaps I'll take this game seriously.

ZJVKry6.jpg

Hm, not sure if something has changed since the update, or I'm simply building a plane with too massive of a fuselage (very likely), but I can't seem to get wings to keep from forming a U shape, resulting in quite the spectacular series of unfortunate arcs.

On the plus, attempting to defeat this problem is most entertaining:

sXGe9ls.jpg