Rick Grimes... Is... British?

Why does it matter? Maybe he has lived in the south long enough that his accent changed to that (which does happen with any accent).

Or he might be acting.

Though I've heard from some that they don't consider his accent that good. It seems to be put on since he sounds very English when he's in some interviews and such.

I wanna say 75% of the time it's decent but living in the south United States for the better part of my life it can get pretty cringy and noticeably fake. Some parts had me laughing my ass off because the scene was deadly serious but his voice sounded like a cartoon character.

Aye, as a former southerner it was fairly easy to tell. Southern accents (along with British/Welsh) seem to be some of the most commonly butchered. Still, he does a better job of pretending to be a southerner than Paula Deen does, so that's something.

I heard that he is learning to talk in southern accent in his free time with the crew or something like that, he said it in some interview. and his name is Andrew Clutterbuck Although he changed it to Andrew Lincoln.

LOL at "actor is able to act" thread :D

It's funny though, many British actors in American roles sound really good to us - but often you hear terrible things about them from the US audiences more familiar with what the accent is supposed to sound like ;)

See also:

Hugh Laurie in House

Dominic West in The Wire (I thought his accent sounded good but I've heard bad things)

Bloke wot played Lee Adama in Battlestar Galactica

Bloke wot played Winters in Band of Brothers / Brody in Homeland

etc

Best utterly awful accent in anything prize goes to

Bloke wot played Max Headroom as an Australian in Eureka.

(let's not mention Keanu Reeves ghastly attempt at British in Dracula)

Not sure who this Rick Grimes fella is, but relating to above, people putting on British accents sound very notiable to me. I watched a film the other day called Sinister, and they made the wife British (for no reason at all) and it was just awful.

I feel like I am missing some kind of joke.

You people seriously don't know who Rick Grimes is?

I'm not pulling a Johnny Fulcrum

As for movie accents, try german accents, while the germans get the dubbed version of it where the germans are soemtimes turned into dutch or scandinavian people. Malcolm in the Middle, scrubs, etc.

I'm not pulling a Johnny Fulcrum

He's such a nice guy, he sang to me while I was in Birmingham. Would give RJ a run for his money.Such a nice guy until he got a hold of those piggies.

Best utterly awful accent in anything prize goes to

Bloke wot played Max Headroom as an Australian in Eureka.

(let's not mention Keanu Reeves ghastly attempt at British in Dracula)

I am going to have to raise you one:-

"Sean Connery being an Irish cop in "Untouchables"

and 

the ultimate in BAD movie accent

"Dick van Dyke as a cockney chimney sweep in Mary Poppins"

^^ 

I heartily agree - Dick's cockney accent is like the Mona Lisa of bad accents. Its so bad that it actually breaks the barrier on craptitude and becomes a flawless example of artistry.

In ages to come mortal Actors and Actresses will look upon Dick's work and despair.

Yeah, also Sean Connery as a Russian submarine captain :D

Who can't resist his "No papershh, shhtate to shhtate.*" performance. That film is just too good.

*Couldn't thing of a famous line of his from the film that could make me knock his accent.

Okay, well it doesn't really matter to those who asked, the reason I posted this was to say how AMAZING his southern accent was. Being from the south myself I had NO Idea he was British until an interview, the guys acting is good, someone give that man a burrito. I saw an interview and almost choked when I heard his British accent, he's just amazing and now I'm in love with this guys acting and amazing imitation of a southern accent.

I wanna say 75% of the time it's decent but living in the south United States for the better part of my life it can get pretty cringy and noticeably fake. Some parts had me laughing my ass off because the scene was deadly serious but his voice sounded like a cartoon character.

My friends and I have a running joke where we say "ello deh govneh!" repeatedly for no real reason, so when The Walking Dead came out and the Governor came in as a character, we could no longer take the show seriously, because every time we saw him we would start our whole "ello deh govneh!" routine. XD I guess it is not really that funny, but we all have ADHD really bad which when you are hyper, everything is ten thousand times more funny.

It's like greeting an Englishman with "Ear, Hair, Lair" (you might have to say it aloud a few times, to let it sink in)

I'm not expert on southern accents, but I find it does sound weird a lot, especially when he pushes it, often when he's yelling it just sounds not normal for an American southern or otherwise.  The example that sticks in my mind, when he's yelling "you knowww meee!" to that guy, I forget his name, the guy he was supposed to contact on the radio from the beginning of the series.

Okay, well it doesn't really matter to those who asked, the reason I posted this was to say how AMAZING his southern accent was.

While it's of course partially due to acting, actors who have to perform a different accent often enough have coaches who teach 'em that.

That said, I'd like to know who told Christian Bale to come up with that ridiculous Batman voice.

Archived