Scariest thing that has happened to you in Project Zomboid?

Jela331

Playing the Kate and Baldspot tutorial on 1.5d the other day.

I was like "Hey I will wait in the room next to the stairs and follow the raider up"

So he comes in the back like planned, I am waiting for him to go 5 minutes later I am like "Okay les go"

The second I turn the corner hes standing there and blows my head off, and my headphones were on high and I friggin screamed.

The second time, Is I always seem to jump at the first zombie encounter during the tutorial even when I expect it.

So I was just looting the large warehouse in Muldraugh. There were quite a few zombies outside so I stealthed my way in and was scouting the first floor just to make sure that I didn't get snuck up on and chomped while I was looting crates. I checked every little shadowy corner, everything seemed clear, so I relaxed a little and stopped sneaking as I was preparing to start looting, and the second I started making noise zeds started pouring off of the catwalk up above me that I hadn't checked yet. The effect was awesome. Absolutely terrifying, but so awesome. They were all jumping over the railing and just raining down on me from above. I'm not sure if zeds take fall damage or not, but it felt so much like the scenes in World War Z, where the zeds dump themselves off buildings to chase after people.

I like zooming it up to the max, because it looks really cool and takes out all the lag.

After raiding the cortman medical (once again, different character..) a horde of zeds popped up, i managed to escape, but injuried.

I went to a random house, ate some food and recovered. Looked out the window and was some zeds. I thought i could get good exp in killing them, but they broke everything. The door, the windows, the fridge, the everything!

I didn't even try to resist. It was just my house being swarmed by zeds, for no apparent reasons. I was dead and saw them, the house was full to every tile, and there was even more coming up. Then most zeds started glitching in circles. Victory dance i guess...

Remember :

Cortman Medical, Never again.

Would be cool if you would start 'seeing'... things when you're very panicked or terrified, kinda like in "don't starve" where the shadows... start moving.

The zombification process used to be sorta like that in the older builds. Once you got really really sick, to the point where you were getting ready to just keel over, you'd start hallucinating zeds walking around you that weren't there. It was a pretty cool effect.

Really? What builds? I have been playing for a long time, although when I did die it wasn't from a long zombification process..

READD THIS DEVS

I've only seen it happen once, and it was when I first started playing. I'm not sure what specific build it was, it was before I was aware of any of that stuff, but it was before the Muldraugh map, when we still just had the original suburbs area.

It was actually the first time I was ever zombified. I didn't know what was happening and I was also suffering from prolonged sleep deprivation and thought my character was hallucinating because of that, but then I keeled over and died and became a zombie. It was even more terrifying given that I didn't expect it or know what was happening. One minute I was looting a tool shed and the next there were zombies all around me walking through walls and fading in and out of view. It was a really cool effect. I'm nearly positive I've read discussions about it being reimplemented.

Lol sorry but yeah the scariest thing that ever happened to me was that I got attacked from behind by a zombie while building a wall and not only did I get attacked but this zombie made every noise that all the zombies make all at once. I play this game with the volume up very high and have 5.1 so yeah :/ honestly it was literally terrifying. I almost fell out of my chair.

I haven't heard that meta-event yet!

Same thing happened to me. Probably an audio glitch.

Turned on sprinting zombies

kill count: 1

never again

So far abusing the kitchen knife is the only way I've managed to survive past the first day or two against sprinters. Because they're all over you so quickly it's really easy to pull off the instakill with it without even really trying. Much easier than wearing yourself out trying to bash them with larger melee weapons when they're just getting right back up and sprinting at you again before you can recover or charge another attack.

If nothing else it's totally worth playing for long enough to see what happens when you set off an alarm in a relatively high traffic area. The effect is downright frightening. I managed to make it to the large warehouse in Muldraugh when I was trying it out, and when I got inside the alarm went off and just tons of them came sprinting out of the woodwork in all directions and just blew right through the building and ripped me apart. It was nuts.

Few days ago i heard an alarm go off near me in multiplayer.. that was creepy  :shock:

there were also some other "o shit" moments, when zombie would spawn in my garden and jump me right in front of the safehouse door. And i once heard "knock-like " gunshot too.. bang bang bang bang :D sounded like AA guns from old movies 

I have another multiplayer experience. Yesterday, my friend and I were finishing off building the walls around our base at the farmhouse and I was looking through my inventory not paying too much attention because I thought we were pretty stocked on weapons and stuff so if something like this happened, we'd be prepared, but... then I heard a *click* I turned and saw a person right next to me with a gun to my head. I ran upstairs because we had sheet rope for a quick exit put up about 15 minutes before. When I reached the bottom of the stairs I heard the reloading.

I climbed down the rope and then I ran around and got my friend and she heard the shots. We went around the back because I was trying to get to my gun but he was pretty much covering all the containers. I tried hitting him with a crowbar and missed, he killed me. Then my friend bled out after a while. Now he has a shottie, pistols and more ammo, a rain barrel and a little farm we had going with great fortifications. Now we're just going to try set up somewhere else and take our farm back when we're ready. It's literally like the mid-season of TWD.

It was so damn intense and completely unexpected. Imagine if that happened to you, what would you do? It frightened the shit out of me. I didn't actually expect multiplayer to be even slightly this crazy. But I have been massively pleased with it so far. It's incredible and I advise anyone who's for some reason holding off until NPCs to try it to satisfy your needs. :D

So far abusing the kitchen knife is the only way I've managed to survive past the first day or two against sprinters. Because they're all over you so quickly it's really easy to pull off the instakill with it without even really trying. Much easier than wearing yourself out trying to bash them with larger melee weapons when they're just getting right back up and sprinting at you again before you can recover or charge another attack.

If nothing else it's totally worth playing for long enough to see what happens when you set off an alarm in a relatively high traffic area. The effect is downright frightening. I managed to make it to the large warehouse in Muldraugh when I was trying it out, and when I got inside the alarm went off and just tons of them came sprinting out of the woodwork in all directions and just blew right through the building and ripped me apart. It was nuts.

It's insane.

I've been playing with sprinters a bit more lately, and it's surprisingly survivable. But unlike with shamblers, PZ turns into some kind of stealth game.

One time I stockpiled on pistol ammo in my house, but I had to run into my house when one was coming for me. The next thing I know, loads of them were blasting through the windows and I capped their asses as they appeared, falling back up the stairs and into a bedroom where I held them off as they came in in onesies and twosies. I took about 40 of 'em down in total.

Come daytime, I marvelled at the mass grave that was the kitchen. I went outside to see how everything was, and it seemed clear.

So I went out a little more and sprinters were running a damn marathon down the street. They musta been migrating - I noticed that sprinters sprint to go places regardless of context.

Aaand then they all came at me at once and tore me apart on the pavement before I could do anything.

A short, yet pretty awesome life.

Edit:

I think I may try making the zombies superhuman and ultra-OP, but reduce their numbers to a minimum. That might prove interesting.

Walking into a house on the outskirts of town, day 3 or 4 I think so I didn't have much, and I walk into a house. I hear a moan, turn, and see a zombie followed me in, which was a scary enough jolt as it is, but as I tried to hide from it (I was breathless from running) I opened a bathroom door and let out 2 more. I ran up the stairs and locked myself in a (thankfully) empty bedroom, and had to turn my shirt into a sheet rope to escape out the window. I caught a cold in the time it took me to kill the three zombies and find another shirt

Sneaking behind a hoard.  One or two saw me, but I was able to get past them.....until I accidentally hit the "Q" button.  Yelling "Hey, over here!" to a billion zombies was the biggest "OH f***" feeling ever.

Many people on the forum say yelling would force some kind of reaction from zombies. They never reacted in my game, I could go shouting all day. o_O

The scariest moment for me was yesterday after playing singeplayer for the first time since the latest multiplayer build came out.

I had completely forgotten that zombies could be inside homes (they're not in multiplayer) only to be surprised by four in a bathroom.

Gosh I jumped so badly.

After looting the gunstore and hoping to establish a safe house there, I go outside and down the road to the giga market to see a huge horde waiting there. About 80 shotgun shells later the horde was dead and a HUGE mass grave of zombies litter the parking lot. A few days later i'm leaving my safe house and running over the dead zombie bodies to have a random zombie laying on the ground lunge right at me, scaring the shit out of me. Luckily i didn't get scratched. Now i never run over groups of zombie bodies.

I was in the wilderness while it was raining and storming. I couldn't tell which direction I was heading, I was only looking for shelter or a place to sleep at for the night, without being attacked by any more zeds (My frying pan and kitchen knife had broken, only a pistol with one round remaining.). Out of nowhere, a very lonely cabin appears in my sight. Fortunately, all the windows were broken, and I was able to enter. 

When I entered, there was a crawling zombie right to the side of the window I came through. I had no choice to use my final emergency round to blow its brains out. Then... a horde of zombies come from all directions towards the cabin. defenseless, and unable to  regain stamina to escape the cabin, I was slowly waiting for an awful ending. 

Eh, not the scariest at all, but being alone and being in a storm frightens me  :-|

West point AIN'T NO JOKE.

I spawned in one of the motels (minihotel) so there wasn't much useful in my room except sheets and towels. I could hear the thumping from the first second of the game. Whats going on!, I thought. Must be some kids having one of these raver parties. Damn kids. I went to the front desk to complain, but there was no one. Lots of glass breaking. I look out the window-- its a full on zombie apocalypse outside. This was terrifying. In muldraugh, I encountered my first zombies on my terms, but here, I had absolutely nothing. Miraculously, I found a gun and ten rounds at the front desk. I started going through rooms, having had no contact with zomboids yet. However, I could hear glass breaking and the banging and moaning everywhere. 

The fourth door i opened was full of zombies, and they were coming through the window. I had no melee weapon, and my search had been turning up nothing helpful, so I bolted. Out the front door of the motel and-- hooooly crap. Zomboids everywhere. It was full on movie madness zombie apocalypse no warning no provisions just me and ten bullets against every zombie in town. I got right out of there. Luckily, I rolled athletic/lucky this time, so I was able to juke, hop fences, and bolt. The community was crawling-- at no time in my run did I find less than five on the screen. Breaking and entering was right out. At one point desperation struck- zombies in front, zombies behind- so I shot a couple fast shamblers and cut around the next block.

I ran literally all day. It started getting late, so I had to go in what amounted to the first house not completely surrounded that i'd yet seen, somewhere in this neighborhood. http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.7939628119616402,0.129754999275997,38.01204870006936 I got sheets on most of the windows and looted the place, but zomboids were banging on the windows. There were windows breaking all over the neighborhood, though, so I just bided my time and had a bite and a drink. Found a frying pan, so when they eventually came through the window, I was able to whack them dead.

I went upstairs, and slept with the gun in hand.

When I came to, they were coming in the ground floor. I situated my belongings, killed one on the ground floor, then went out the back door. This was another day of hard running. Eventually I got far enough out of town that there were no concentrations of zomboids. By a roundabout route, I finally came upon these homes on the north end which only had a smattering of zomboids inside and a couple outside. http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.784903009289801,0.11030884286489626,54.73735012809987 

The one in the middle is my new "safe" house, but zombies are migrating past all the while.

Wildest start I've had, bar none. I got a bat, I got a saw, so next up its time to get my food situation sorted and source an axe.

Man the stories on here are so good :)

Didn't have anything to contribute until today.

I had found a big two-storey house that I was going to use a temporary safe-house for quick supply runs in and out of the city centre (West Point). My bigger safe-house was a fair trek in so I thought it a good idea to establish a temporary base of operations. I did the usual PZ thing, hung sheets on all the windows and crept up to every door, blood soaked, nail ridden baseball bat at the ready and cautiously hit 'E', clearing out each room. There were a few zeds in one of the bedrooms but nothing that Karen Miller couldn't handle. Incidentally, Karen is very claustrophobic and gets extremely panicked the moment she heads indoors, reducing her vision and accuracy. But she's OK. She gets by on long (athletic perk induced) trips outdoors running and scavenging for loot.

Anyway. So I cleared out all the rooms, two-storey house with quite a few places to hide, but once it was all clear, I was knackered and lay in the master bedroom's big clean double bed until morning (covering up the upstairs windows with sheets too of course, a lesson I had to learn the hard way, but thats a story for another day...)

So, morning comes, I eat a can of tuna and a packet of chips before setting out on a day's looting adventure. I have a few near misses but no scratches and I found a good haul of food and supplies. Elated and relaxed I wander back to my safe-house and when I look over, I see something frightening.

Through some glitch in the wall visibility I can see there's a shadowy shambler in my home (it looks to be the bathroom). 'But how,' I think to myself. 'Didn't I clear every room? another must have snuck in' I conclude. 

So I climb in through the window and creep to the bathroom door, swing it open and to my dismay. Nothing.

Ok so now i'm freaked out. Did PZ glitch some random zed in and out of my house for no inexplicable reason? I know this is an alpha build, but i feel like in my short time with the game, its better than that. 

And then I see it.

Adjacent to the bathroom, with a door on a north facing wall (i.e. difficult to see on my initial patrol) is a 2x1 walk in closet. I tremble as I open the door and 3 zombies rush me (two walkers and a crawler). In Karen's panicked state she can hardly see a thing but she manages to dispatch the shambling duo (inelegantly) just in time for the crawler to make its way in the main room. I circle round and smash its rotten head in before catching my breath.

I know hidden zeds isn't the scariest thing in the world. But what really wore me down? They were in the house the whole time.

I slept in that house. Thinking I was safe. 

And that's the scariest thing that's happened to me so far (sorry for the lengthy ramble, but I feel like if anyone is going to appreciate my detail laden close encounter, its fellow PZ forum goers :)

I have a new 'scariest thing', though it's not ingame.

I work nights at a 911 center.  We get bored when no one is sick, dying, etc. so they gave us a TV.  Last night was pretty quiet, so my partner and I watched a Walking Dead marathon the last few hours of the night.  Went home, went to bed, had epic zombie dreams.  When I woke up, my husband was gone and all the lights were off.  No biggie, let me just grab my laptop, get back in bed, and play PZ.  I started a new survival game, and get to sneaking through Muldraugh.  I'm doing a fairly decent job of stocking up my safehouse with minimal zombie combat and generally having a good time. 

While I'm playing, I start hearing a weird rustling noise coming from the living room.  Freaked me out a little, but whatevs, it was probably just the dogs.  I go back to playing.  A minute or two later, I think I see movement out of the corner of my eye.  I pause the game and stare through the doorway for a minute.  Nothing.  Ok, must be my imagination then.  Go back to playing again.  Thirty seconds later, I see a humanish shape shuffling toward me from the kitchen.  I freak out, gasp, and about throw my laptop across the room.

......yea.  It was my husband.  He had been sleeping on the couch, and when he woke up and heard PZ noises he thought he'd play a prank on me.  It was a good one, but what he doesn't realize is, revenge is a dish best served cold.  Also, I am killer when it comes to pranks.  HE WILL PAY.