Sadistic AI Director

BlgJ0E

I just recently discovered the devs are implementing what they call a "Sadistic AI Director." I can find a lot of speculation on the forum's but does anyone have a link to an official description from the devs?

I ask because I despise EA games for the amount of scripting they contain. Punishing players for doing well and helping those for playing poorly. I would hate to see Project Zomboid turn into another FIFA.

Essentially, it will prevent you from making the game boring for yourself.

E.g. if you hole up in a safehouse, safely barricadedand stocked up on food that could last you several months, it might bring a mass of zombies into your direction because something caught fire near it.

Or it sends a bandit NPC near you who might burn it down or try to break in.

Or it sends an injured NPC your way and you can decide if you help or not.

Possibilities, friend! Possibilities!

Without being overbearing, we don't want it to be impossible to feel secure for a time, just not to the poitn the game would get dull. Sadistic AI director will basically just tweak fate as and when it needs to and will have its fingers in pretty much every system of the game, fine tuning people's gameplay experience so they have a bit of an easier time at the moment they start the game, and slowly turn the screws. Will be disableable/configurable obv.

Without being overbearing, we don't want it to be impossible to feel secure for a time, just not to the poitn the game would get dull. Sadistic AI director will basically just tweak fate as and when it needs to and will have its fingers in pretty much every system of the game, fine tuning people's gameplay experience so they have a bit of an easier time at the moment they start the game, and slowly turn the screws. Will be disableable/configurable obv.

Sounds about perfect on paper. Hope it turns out that way in reality :)

I have my doubts, but I guess it depends on how its implimented. I would hate to die because I was doing well just as much as I would hate to live because I was playing poorly.

If there is an issue with the game getting dull at certain points then that seems more like a balancing issue that should be addressed with the NPC/ Zombie AI or Metagames. Not by tracking and responding to the player, especially if its going to change the items you "randomly" find throughout the game. This can put the player "on a rail" so to speak.

I would like to see the game balanced properly, then the AI director added. That way we can toggle it off and still play a good game. I know the temptaions there for programmers to rely on something like that for a quick fix for problems, and for some issues it might be the best fix. Just please dont go overboard with it. Please dont be like EA.

I have my doubts, but I guess it depends on how its implimented. I would hate to die because I was doing well just as much as I would hate to live because I was playing poorly.

If there is an issue with the game getting dull at certain points then that seems more like a balancing issue that should be addressed with the NPC/ Zombie AI or Metagames. Not by tracking and responding to the player, especially if its going to change the items you "randomly" find throughout the game. This can put the player "on a rail" so to speak.

I would like to see the game balanced properly, then the AI director added. That way we can toggle it off and still play a good game. I know the temptaions there for programmers to rely on something like that for a quick fix for problems, and for some issues it might be the best fix. Just please dont go overboard with it. Please dont be like EA.

The A.I. Director would exist so you couldn't just find the farthest most remote corner of the wilderness, build a cabin there, and live off of the crops indefinitely certain in the knowledge that you're so far away that no one would ever ever find you. Even though you'll totally be able to try that once the map gets beg enough, doing it would pretty much turn it into The Sims: Farmville Edition. Nothing would ever challenge you, because you're too far away for anything to bother coming out after you.

You say you want the game balanced between fairness and challenge? Well the Sadistic A.I. Director would be part of that balance if it was implemented the right way. That way you can't just find an awesome formula that works and keep doing that until your character dies of old age because the Director would be able to change the formula so that it's less than perfect.

From what I've seen, it can make the game interesting. Of course, I'd say it might need some fine tuning, considering. Other people have had the idea to move to the wilderness before, and there's a possibility they might stumble across your cabin. Personally? I've a plan to wall up Dixie entirely and make it thrive. The AI Director will make it all the more challenging.

From what I've seen, it can make the game interesting. Of course, I'd say it might need some fine tuning, considering. Other people have had the idea to move to the wilderness before, and there's a possibility they might stumble across your cabin. Personally? I've a plan to wall up Dixie entirely and make it thrive. The AI Director will make it all the more challenging.

I had the same woodberry' ish idea for when NPCs are added. It would be too boring to do with out them, like having a huge mansion, but no friends or family to share it with.

I had the same woodberry' ish idea for when NPCs are added. It would be too boring to do with out them, like having a huge mansion, but no friends or family to share it with.

Exactly! What's the fun in it all if nobody is plotting against you? Or arguing about stupid crap?

It wouldn't be that heavy handed. And calling the Sadistic AI Director 'a quick fix for problems' is rather annoying to read considering its about 100x more complicated than just dumping some zombies in the world and saying 'go'. ;) It's going to be a sophisticated system for making sure whatever skill level you are you have an exciting story to tell without being overbearing. It's no 'auto levelling Skyrim dungeons' just a somewhat intelligent gameplay aware watcher who will intervene to make the game more interesting if need be, or discourage an NPC one shot killing you from behind without warning, and to slightly smooth over the first 10 minutes of the game, or to make sure there IS an saw SOMEWHERE in muldraugh.

It wouldn't be that heavy handed. And calling the Sadistic AI Director 'a quick fix for problems' is rather annoying to read considering its about 100x more complicated than just dumping some zombies in the world and saying 'go'. ;) It's going to be a sophisticated system for making sure whatever skill level you are you have an exciting story to tell without being overbearing. It's no 'auto levelling Skyrim dungeons' just a somewhat intelligent gameplay aware watcher who will intervene to make the game more interesting if need be, or discourage an NPC one shot killing you from behind without warning, and to slightly smooth over the first 10 minutes of the game, or to make sure there IS an saw SOMEWHERE in muldraugh.

That's great news. The 'no 'auto levelling Skyrim dungeons'' analogy is perfect, and exactly what I was hoping to hear.

BTW: Thank you Lemmy for replying, its awesome a Dev will take the time to explain these things. This is an amazing game so far, and I cant wait to see more.

If the Sadistic AI can also magically *poof* a sledgehammer in West Point i will hug, cuddle and love it for ever.

I presume you already checked the hardware store and didn't find one there, right?

In which case, try the blocks of houses shown in the link below, specifically the sheds and garages - I tend to find a sledgehammer in one of those:

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.7991048640752004,0.13024431870043088,49.947831991891086

I've searched hardware store, gigamart, auto shop, police station, knox bank, store lots, large warehouse, fossoil, thunder gass, and the houses north-west of the huge school building. Last option are those garages in the middle you are pointing to Rorsch. The AI being Sadistic is something i would realy welcome. What i won't do for that sledgehammer....

Wow, you've been to pretty much everywhere in downtown West Point, and *still* no sledgie? Bummer. That Sadistic AI dude must really have it in for you...

I would hazard a guess that you want to get into the gun store, and I know I found a sledgehammer in there - but without a sledgehammer you ain't getting in! Fingers crossed you find one soon! Keep us posted if you do please, and where from...

I've searched hardware store, gigamart, auto shop, police station, knox bank, store lots, large warehouse, fossoil, thunder gass, and the houses north-west of the huge school building. Last option are those garages in the middle you are pointing to Rorsch. The AI being Sadistic is something i would realy welcome. What i won't do for that sledgehammer....

I did all those things too plus the garages in the middle. I finally got a sledge by going to Muldraugh.