Is Beta better than Steam proper now?

lemmy101

Steam proper is getting a little dated, and wasn't THAT stable when it first went up there in all honesty. Have we reached the point we should bite the bullet and shift the beta to proper Steam release?

Since Desura is stable, we're going to spend a little more time making sure its right before going up there, but whatcha think peeps?

Steam proper is getting a little dated, and wasn't THAT stable when it first went up there in all honesty. Have we reached the point we should bite the bullet and shift the beta to proper Steam release?

Since Desura is stable, we're going to spend a little more time making sure its right before going up there, but whatcha think peeps?

When's the last time Desura got updated though? is there a release any time in the future for that? It's really stable and it would be nice if there were some more stable builds with new features (maybe not so far as steam releases) but I'm sure there's gotta be something worth releasing between 10-17?

Otherwise I might as well uninstall it and just keep my eye on steam.

But yes I would suggest making it a proper release - my poor laptop found significant increases from the latest updates making it almost playable as opposed to halloween release or just before.

If you want to release it BEFORE the NPCs are implented, i would agree that now is probably the best time for it

You're fairly out of the loop aren't you.

It's been stated for quite awhile now that NPCs won't be in for the Steam release.

Fucking awesome chaps! Had to re register here as I havent really been around much since you reset the forums (and I lost any hipster points I had for being here a while :P) but had to drop in and say congrats to finally appearing on steam :D

Beside a couple of clipping through walls problems and having no door to bedroom at one of the spawn houses, I'd say I've encountered less problems than I expected, when running a first couple of tries starting from "West Point". I gotta say I got carried away a little stomping the little zeds on the heads, I freaking LOVE that new feature. Also some FPS problems but they seem to be less frequent on lowest lighting settings and 30 FPS locking.

So, I guess It's good, but you need, along other features, prioritize some of the map specific bugs with zomboid. There is also some minor problems with having visibility fade-in when walking indoors, especially at dark hours (21:00 - 08:00 (not exact time))

I'm still waiting for multiplayer... I don't understand why devs don't focus on that feature.. in my opinion this will add sooo many to this game. I don't need any npc, quests etc. Multiplayer itself gives a lot of options for player. Every gameplay is different, its creating a story every single time you meet a player in the game. Like it was in DayZ at the beginning and this game is so much better then DayZ but its missing multi!

Servers for 20-30 players max would be perfect. With friendly fire ofcourse. Every time you meet someone you don't know if you can trust him or not but thats the beauty! Unlike to Dayz in PZ zombies are hard to kill, especially in large groups - so that force coop with players but still you can't be 100% sure if that guy wont stab you in the back. Thats the human nature.

Sandbox games without multiplayer do not function nowadays.

All the features like NPC, wild animals etc are great but they are like appetizers and multiplayer its a main dish :)

Sorry for my bad english, I've tryied hard as I could :P

Regards

It's been gone over literally hundreds of times before why they aren't focusing on multiplayer first. Putting multiplayer into an incomplete just gives an incomplete game with multiplayer. This is not mean to be an MMO. It's primary focus is to be a great singleplayer game. The fact that we'll be getting multiplayer at all is a great bonus and something to look forward to in the future.

I'm still waiting for multiplayer... I don't understand why devs don't focus on that feature.. in my opinion this will add sooo many to this game. I don't need any npc, quests etc.

That's nice.

You may not need npcs, but some others do. You won't be seeing multiplayer until the core singleplayer experience is done. Project Zomboid started out as a singleplayer experience, and its about perfecting that experience as much as possible before multiplayer is implemented.

You've also said the "devs don't focus on that feature" yet that's not true at all. Go and read up on the past blogs; you'll soon find that multiplayer has been discussed about in detail and it will be a focus post-RC3 (according to a blog) along with all the singleplayer goodness that has yet to come.

I wouldn't worry about multiplayer; it takes time. No sense implementing a half-ass job of it when there is still so much to come.

It's been gone over literally hundreds of times before why they aren't focusing on multiplayer first. Putting multiplayer into an incomplete just gives an incomplete game with multiplayer. This is not mean to be an MMO. It's primary focus is to be a great singleplayer game. The fact that we'll be getting multiplayer at all is a great bonus and something to look forward to in the future.

There is a lot of incomplete alpha games that have multiplayer and becouse of that they give players hundreds of hours experiencing new things :) I'm not saying PZ should be an mmo - 20 players on map its a optimal number.

I'm still waiting for multiplayer... I don't understand why devs don't focus on that feature.. in my opinion this will add sooo many to this game. I don't need any npc, quests etc.

That's nice.

You may not need npcs, but some others do. You won't be seeing multiplayer until the core singleplayer experience is done. Project Zomboid started out as a singleplayer experience, and its about perfecting that experience as much as possible before multiplayer is implemented.

You've also said the "devs don't focus on that feature" yet that's not true at all. Go and read up on the past blogs; you'll soon find that multiplayer has been discussed about in detail and it will be a focus post-RC3 (according to a blog) along with all the singleplayer goodness that has yet to come.

I wouldn't worry about multiplayer; it takes time. No sense implementing a half-ass job of it when there is still so much to come.

I'm just trying to say that multiplayer give us hundreds of gameplay hours with non-scripted experience that other players gave. Unlike to scripted NPCs. Players can do things that we don't expect and NPC do at some point. So with NPCs its repetitive and gets boring after some time.

I really think that you will do a great job with NPCs but its still scripted AI experience.. :)

I don't want to offend anyone in my posts, I just trying to understand why you didn't implemented multiplayer yet while you have some great game core. While playing this game I felt like it has everything that was missing in DayZ but after 30 mins of play I've needed the interpersonal experiance :)

Probably, the main reason they didn't go down that route is because they chose not to - such is the benefits of being indie ;) They get to make the game they want. Multiplayer will come in good time, and it will reap the benefits of being second to single player, in that it is rich with features.

I don't want to offend anyone in my posts, I just trying to understand why you didn't implemented multiplayer yet while you have some great game core.

Whole other game to go from "good core single player" to "multiplayer with a good single player element." Even for game as simple as MineCraft, it took almost a year just for Survival and Multiplayer to be mixed.

It seems to add immense complexity to a project either do both from the beginning or transition to both later on in their development.

Once multiplayer is in, every single feature added after that point becomes about 10x more complicated to add.

On the other hand, the longer you leave multiplayer, the more complicated that becomes to add.

It's about striking a balance between the two. If we added multiplayer now, NPCs might never happen. We're making our lives difficult when it comes to multiplayer, but it's the only way we can make the game we and the majority of our community want realistically with this funding model. Simple as that. Once it comes to multiplayer we can write the code to deal with all elements of the game . Will it be a pain in the ass, for sure, but it'll get done. Something as immensely complicated as the NPCs we're working on and have planned needs to be approached without all the extra baggage of network communication first.

"Steam proper" in this context means the non-beta branch on Steam, not Steam release. However, if you read the first paragraph of the latest mondoid reeeeeeaaally carefully, you might get a hint on when the game will be released on Steam Early Access.

Yes folks, it’s official. As of Friday 8th November, Project Zomboid will finally take a place in the Early Access section of Steam!

If you want to release it BEFORE the NPCs are implented, i would agree that now is probably the best time for it

It's been stated for quite awhile now that NPCs won't be in for the Steam release.

I know nasKo, but i still think it would have been a better idea

I know nasKo, but i still think it would have been a better idea

Whelp, you think wrong. The devs stated a whole bunch of really damn good reasons why.