Stupid Things You've Done That've Gotten You Killed

PlasticandRage

So I just spent my whole first week setting up the large warehouse as my safehouse, and eventually a fortress. I've never really given it a solid go before so I figured I'd see what everyone likes so much about it. So I went out looting and got myself everything I needed, about 200 mixed ammo, several shotguns and handguns, several axes, everything I need to produce wood and build things with it, several carpentry books for each level, a few weeks worth of food, both perishable and non-perishable, as well about 100 berries, and a full crate of full water containers. So I wake up, read a bunch of skill books, and walk outside to start building walls and there's a horde in the forest across the street to the south, and another horde on the eastern lawn. So I go back inside, put all my construction equipment away, get out a shotgun and 50ish ammo, and load it, and my plan is to cook myself a couple steaks, feed myself well, then run south and fire on the horde to lead it away, curve southeast, do the same with the other horde, then curve around north and work my way back home. So I promptly walk to my fridge, select a steak, and fire my equipped shotgun into the wall twice. I'm now saved with about 100 zombies pounding on the only exits I left unbarricaded. So smooth. Glad a prepped for a week for that one.

Seems like every 3 or 4 games I have a good fluke like that where I accidentally do something just ridiculously dumb and get myself killed. Figure other people must have some good ones too.

Well as you know i am doing my "Is It Safe" games and i am currently doing Starfall Hotel it is my second try because i made a fatal mistake :P

I managed to clear out the entire hotel set up barbed wire fences in the back entrance, boarded up all windows and door (Bottom levels)

I had 7 Fire Axes, 150 or so ammunition, enough melee weapons to last me a century. And two entire crates filled with non-perishable foods. How did i die you ask?

Well everyday i would get 1-5 infected either banging on the walls or just getting to close so i would have to dispatch them. This time it was worse though i had a group of around 25 undead so i got my handgun (with 4 pillows) (Pillow Silencer Mod) and started to take them all out. I was down to 3 zombies and i forgot to switch to my last pillow and i ended up breaking the pillow on the last zombie causing about 400 zombies to besiege me. I ran upstairs to use my escape sheet rope and ran in the wrong room and fell to my death :(

Tried to use a sheet rope without knowing how to use a sheet rope. Screamed as I hit the ground and my shins shot up and pierced my heart, killing me instantly.

Forgot to bring a dish rag with me when making the long trek out to the Western Farm. It rained. Caught a cold, sneezed, ALL OF A SUDDEN 200 ZOMBIES COME OUT OF THE TREES ON BOTH SIDES OF THE ROAD.

Underestimating the speed of the crawlers has led to some violent and quick deaths.

Though my favorite thing didn't actually cause me to die. I was up on the roof of the North Warehouse. Something bugged and a portion of the roof vanished. Just completely vanished. I fell straight down into the building, breaking every bone in my body and leaving myself with probably no more than 20 seconds to live with the fatal injuries. Except I landed right next to the shelves holding my food stores. I ate two weeks worth of food and a tasty soup over the next 3 minutes, and actually managed to keep my health increase higher than my health decrease, until the bleeding stopped and I ended up being healthy again, just minus most of my food. :|

I was playing earlier today, and got hit with what I'm starting to think is a scripted chopper/jet spam. It's maybe the third time I've been playing and one chopper became like 10 straight minutes of various aircrafts and multiple zombie direction changes. Anyway this was happening, and I decided it would be a good idea to cut through the woods. Not a trail. Just walk through about 50 yards of thick trees. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but really wasn't at all.

So much in that link is cause to be excited.

I meant all of them together though. I know the occasional chopper or plane are intended elements of the game, but I've occasionally encountered huge spams of them both, going on for long periods of time. Not sure whether that's actually intentional or if the game is getting caught in a loop or what. I honestly hope it's intentional, because it's caused some of the most hectic and terrifying situations I've had to deal with thus far.

Once early on when I was still playing the tech demo, I lit my house on fire (always turn the stove off) but when I tried to run downstairs and out there was a flood of zombies. So I decided to my brilliant self that I was just gonna jump out the second story window, which worked....kinda...I broke my legs and the zombies found me. Not the best escape plan but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

On one of the earlier builds, I had been surviving for about three weeks time, and had just found an axe . . . I was inside one of those open warehouses far to the South East, and I fell by accident after climbing to the top floor, killing my avatar instantly. I had done really well that run too, and at that point, it had been my best play through.

I had been surviving for about a week or two, had level three sneak and everything. I was trying to sneak my way around a zombie horde to check a house.

I managed to reach the building without attracting any attention and got to work on opening the window. 

The alarm went off.

I had a crazy near miss doing that yesterday. I was in one of the little gated community areas, and had been on the north side of a house, facing the wall you can't see due to the camera angle. There was a horde just north west of me out front of the house next door, so I'd skipped that house and checked the next one. The front door happened to be unlocked, so I opened it and started to step inside when the alarm started going off. So I snuck back out the door, hugged the wall, and intended to walk around the other side and disappear into the backyard of the house next door in the other direction, and there just so happened to be another horde there all rushing in my direction at once. I was sandwiched between 2 of them, but I managed to sprint between them while there was still a gap and get away. Love those alarms.

the black screen killed me  :mad:

i was on the roof of the warehouse, exited the game, when i opened it the screen was black so i started o walk around suddenly i fell through the roof and 10 seconds later i was dead  :cry:

and yesterday i decided to kill a horde of zombies because i was using the super traits mod, i decided to run over them but somehow i got stuck, then i started chopping but it didn't work  :cry:  and i had my options set on NO zombies  :mad:

How is this a stupid thing that you've done? :lol: These are bugs...

I was going to chop trees with a shotgun in my hand and forgot to change the axe and shot at the tree. I ran for my safehouse and forgot the door open and ran upstairs. Needless to say when I came back down the stairs I had a few visitors and got pinned and died.

Yeah, the whole opened door/window thing will get you every time. I keep reading that when a lot of people are out looting, they'll leave the way they came in opened, so they can get out faster if they need to. I think that's a bit counter productive honestly. I find much more often that when things I can't deal with happen, they're more likely to have followed me in, then been inside already. Unless you're blinding entering buildings, without doing a full perimeter check, and looking in windows/listening for sounds before you enter, chances are you're not going to encounter more than a handful of zombies, and they're usually separated by closed doors, for you to deal with one at a time anyway. It's the flood that comes pouring in behind you that you didn't even know where there that's really dangerous. In my humble opinion.

It's like a general rule of thumb in survival horror that you always close the door behind you.

burned to death trying to empty a fridge into my backpack after i burnt a tv dinner. the very next try, i DO IT AGAIN, except instead of dying, i managed to grab everything around the stove and run out of the house. thankfully it started raining a few seconds later and saved what ever else was left in the place.

^ I'm yet to manage climbing a sheet rope without at least severely injuring myself. I just can't seem to make them work properly. In one of my current safe houses, I set the whole place up to make use of the only accessible upstairs window as the sole entrance/exit, and when I placed a sheet rope on it, the rope hung into the room below it, instead of outside the house. They're working really well.

I dunno if this counts, because I didn't die, but I DID climb into a window without looking to see what was inside. I climbed into a small bedroom with 3 zombies. Luckily they were stuck on the furniture so I turned around and hauled ass outta there.