Of Zeds and Second Floors

Blake81

Now that pre-barricaded houses are a thing (and I love it, 'cuz after clearing them, they make a great place to hide from other hordes), I've started to notice a rather annoying and inaccurate behavior in certain Zeds; those that fall from a second floor.

Whenever there's a two floors house that's barricaded and the Zed start pouring out of the 2nd floor's windows (which aren't barricaded), they just fall and keep lunging towards me (even if I set them to ''Weak'' and ''Feeble'') like nothing had happened.

I understand that pain and broken bones are alien concepts to a brainless Zed, but still, it feels sorta wrong that they can fall from the same distance that often breaks one of my character's legs and just dash towards me.

Could it be possible to change that? I mean, I don't expect them to fall and die (maybe that could go for 3rd floors and higher) but at the very least, I expected them to become ''Ankle Biters''; start crawling on the ground after they fell, because that whole ''Screw Gravity! Imma Zed!'' thing of them sorta feels unrealistic and overpowered.

That could work too, but I think that Zed lack the smarts to get up, they would become crawling Zeds instead.

As for the exploit.... well, the thing is, that's not an easy thing to exploit; I mean, would you would have to draw a Texas sized horde into a two-floors house, barricade the whole place up and make sure the Zeds go to the 2nd floor instead of staying on ground floor headbanging your barricades. Also, crawlers have a higher chance to bite you when you attack them than normal Zeds (or at least so it has for me). So, I don't think that kind of exploit would be very.... exploitable.

That could work too, but I think that Zed lack the smarts to get up, they would become crawling Zeds instead.

As for the exploit.... well, the thing is, that's not an easy thing to exploit; I mean, would you would have to draw a Texas sized horde into a two-floors house, barricade the whole place up and make sure the Zeds go to the 2nd floor instead of staying on ground floor headbanging your barricades. Also, crawlers have a higher chance to bite you when you attack them than normal Zeds (or at least so it has for me). So, I don't think that kind of exploit would be very.... exploitable.

Just build a row of stairs (like 20 next to each other - no need to get too high, but wide) somewhere and a window frame + sheetrope on top for you to get down safely. Lure zombies on stairs, go down the sheet rope. Repeat. You've just got yourself a zombie killing machine.

I think it shouldn't be lethal for them but it should make them turn into crawlers.

A more straightforward solution could be that if a leg is broken everything goes down and crawls until healing. If a character jumps out of the window it might break a leg from falling damage or not. As a zombie isn't in a very good physical shape it should hurt him quite more than a living being.

in addition, there could be a delimitation between falling backwards and forward. A zombie lying on the back probably get up harder than one fallen forward.

I like the idea of a zombie attack from above. The zed might not be controlling the way they fall down but, as they try to reach me they probably fly down with an open mouth and arms wide open. This should be enough to hit me in the progress.

They should definitely take damage but only end up as crawlers in the end, never totally killed, since in reality only head shots/decapitation is supposed to kill them (unless they added a specific in the zombie mechanics/options which may be cool). I find crawlers a lot harder to deal with anyway so a ton of them would be death. Maybe a really low percent chance for them to land on their heads and end up done for. 

+1 to the idea!

If my legs or feet break when I fall, a zombie's should too.

Who knows what animations are coming in the future updates, so maybe this is already planned for. I know the idea has been discussed here on the forums before.

I like the idea that the majority of zombies would become crawlers or at the very least fall down. Every now and then a zombie dieing I think would be plausible too. Not all of them will fall out of the window and land on their feet. I imagine some would tumble out the window and could easily land head first, especially if it's a group pushing and jostling each other as they fall over the edge.

• 3 weeks later...