Death From Medical Problems

Man_In_The_Purple_Hat

So I had a thought while reading the previous thread "Another Death From Old Age Thread" and had an idea about negative traits that could add in certain medical conditions. I do know we already have asthma in which should be updated a bit to include wheezing/ hard to catch breath after a run, maybe even the implementation of inhalers or even nebulizers which would help asthma related issues over a longer amount of time than just an emergency inhalers 'quick fix' method (Been thinking of the addition of inhalers for awhile now though and was going to talk to Hydromancerx about adding this into Hydrocraft if possible, I did already make the art for it lol)  :P

Anyways ill get back on topic, a few other ideas for this could include having heart problems, such as needing to take heart medicine on a daily basis, now that would prove to be quite a challenge and realistic one at that for a zombie apocalypse. also brings up the idea of adding prescription medicines that can only be found behind the counter in pharmacies in smaller quantities and also in hospitals in larger quantities. With having a weak heart it should be noted that long lasting situations of panic could possibly cause a heart attack (a lower chance of this occurring with daily medicine being taken as prescribed) another problem would be eating crappy foods, greasy, salty you get what I mean lol. Now the risk of heart problems could also be decreased with exercise, medicine, eating good food (if possible lol, it is a zombie apocalypses, its not like fresh food is regularly available, but you know what I mean ;P ) . A few other negative medical traits could be things like the following:

• Arthritis: things that could help would be steroid shots, pain killers/reducers various steroidal creams. What negative effects it could cause would be not being able to run long distances without joint pain, climbing fences/sheet ropes slower, moving inventory items slower (but not as slow as the 'All Thumbs' trait) and possibly -1 to strength and less knock back using melee weapons.

• C.O.P.D.: Medicine that could help would be similar to asthma medicine but I think there is daily medication you can take as well and also in some cases people with c.o.p.d. need a machine that hooks up to there nose that pumps air in to help them breath so they can sleep (my grandfather needs to use this). Some negative effects could include a persistent cough, not anything major, but you know just coughing every now and then. not being able to run long distances without having to rest, coughing while resting and hard to catch breath.

Those are just some ideas. figures I had a bunch of others in my head while I was thinking about it, and now that I'm actually typing this up I cant think of any other haha figures, but I digress. I think this would add quite a bit of challenge to the game especially if you were to play a randomized character and realized "Oh shit! he has a heart condition and only 9 pills left! ". That would cause some hectic situations to arise i'm sure lol, And I know I'm not supposed to say the N word on here but...wait...hey not THAT N WORD, ya crazies... :P, I'm talking about the ever elusive 'En Pea Seas'! I think it would be awesome to have a group and you realize that, (hmm we'll just call him Bimmy...yes...Bimmy...) Bimmy is disoriented, kinda walking slow and out of breath and he tells you he's run out of his blood pressure/saline/whatever medicine, so then Jimmy walks up (he's the group nurse/Doc) and takes his blood pressure/blood sugar and its DANGEROUSLY low! ~DUN DUN DUNNNN! and would ya look at that! BOOM! there's a quest for ya! "Go find Bimmy some blood pressure/saline/whatever medicine before he's zombie food!"

Just an idea but hey I think it could work quite well, also there could also be positive medical traits as well, I just don't have any on my mind right now since I jut thought of that lol. They could also be in a separated list than the regular kinds of traits, like have a list for positive and negative Medical traits, Skill traits, Personality traits, ECT. Anyways i could probably keep typing for hours so im going to end this idea here before I think of even more things to add lol, this is my first suggestion I've posted here but let me know what you all think!

EDIT: Damn I should have made the title of the thread just "Medical Problem Based Traits" or something along those lines, sigh my bad haha, My idea kind of developed while I was typing it lol

I think more chronic health troubles as negative traits could be added in the game as long as there's a "workaround" such as medicines. If you take the "bad heart condition" trait and risk dying at any time because this is just meant to be a negative trait with no way to counter it (should it be complicated : rare pills / insulin / ...), I'd rather have the "getting struck by a lightning" suggestion added to the game XD

This would also help making the late-game more difficult, if you ever run out of medicine and need to get out of your fortified farm to find more.

I just don't want to hear about dying of old age anymore.

I think more chronic health troubles as negative traits could be added in the game as long as there's a "workaround" such as medicines. If you take the "bad heart condition" trait and risk dying at any time because this is just meant to be a negative trait with no way to counter it (should it be complicated : rare pills / insulin / ...), I'd rather have the "getting struck by a lightning" suggestion added to the game XD

This would also help making the late-game more difficult, if you ever run out of medicine and need to get out of your fortified farm to find more.

I just don't want to hear about dying of old age anymore.

Exactly what I'm saying, it would totally make the end game side of things much more interesting,No doubt! For example, Lets say this, Wellp, I've been surviving in Westpoint for a year now, I've looting resources from every house/building there is, I've rationed supplies and meds and I should survive here 6 more months with no problem. Then 6 months rolls around. Oh shit, I'm out of [insert Important Medicine Here] I'm not going to be able to survive much longer if I don't go to Louisville/Muldraugh/South Muldraugh/Drayton/DreadWood/New Denver/Bedford/ Phoenix/ PoopTown ECT. It would give you a reason to branch out to different towns instead of situations like, oh no I'm out of food, least I can grow it/forage, or, ah no more water, well ill just boil some rain water/go to the nearest lake, and therefore having NO reason to venture forth and explore the world. Id love to see more reasons to have to go to different towns, sure there are some reasons in game now, but there more or less personal reasons and not needed reasons, ya know what I mean?

Exactly what I'm saying, it would totally make the end game side of things much more interesting,No doubt! For example, Lets say this, Wellp, I've been surviving in Westpoint for a year now, I've looting resources from every house/building there is, I've rationed supplies and meds and I should survive here 6 more months with no problem. Then 6 months rolls around. Oh shit, I'm out of [insert Important Medicine Here] I'm not going to be able to survive much longer if I don't go to Louisville/Muldraugh/South Muldraugh/Drayton/DreadWood/New Denver/Bedford/ Phoenix/ PoopTown ECT. It would give you a reason to branch out to different towns instead of situations like, oh no I'm out of food, least I can grow it/forage, or, ah no more water, well ill just boil some rain water/go to the nearest lake, and therefore having NO reason to venture forth and explore the world. Id love to see more reasons to have to go to different towns, sure there are some reasons in game now, but there more or less personal reasons and not needed reasons, ya know what I mean?

I would really like to see this coupled with expiration of medicine (as it does IRL).  Potentially some medicines could become near-fatal or ineffective after expiration.

EDIT: Also, I would love to see diabetes and insulin added.  Insulin can be fatal if injected into the bloodstream, IRL.  Also, for those without diabetes, it can cause a myriad of symptoms already present w/in PZ.  It would make for a great evil doctor type in MP.

I would really like to see this coupled with expiration of medicine (as it does in real life).  Potentially some medicines could become near-fatal or ineffective after expiration.

True and not true, depends on the meds,  most expiration's dates on medicines are more or less used as a 'sell by' date for pharmacies (personally I look at it as Big Pharma wanting more money lol, but it could also be because formulations change and could get better as time passes you decide ;P). It really depends on what kind of medicine it is to determine an accurate expiration date however. They did a study on medicine and scientists found that 90% of more than 100 types of prescription and over the counter drugs were perfectly safe and good to use 15 YEARS after the expiration date.Now it is true that potency loss over the years can happen, but well over 10 years past expiration dates lol (quite crazy right?) now this does NOT include drugs like the following: Insulin, Nitroglycerin, and liquid antibiotics, and for those it truly depends on how the medicine is stored (cool dry place between 59°-77°F, or if it a refrigerated medicine 45°-59°F). however when it comes to those types of medicines I wouldn't risk it. By the way I did take pharmacology in college and passed with an A (somehow lmao) I just never took my national certification exam hah, after working as a pharmacy tech for a year to learn how it works before taking the certification exam, I realized that it wasn't really for me, I did learn some awesome things though, I just look at it as ill be a handy person to have around during an apocalypses haha!

Dont forgett with knowledge and the right materials you can make a few medicines self. For all the others ... thats life ... good bye. I think if you have a high medicine skill you should know something about alternatives too common medicine (or how to make an alternative). In Hydros Artist Thread i have post some examples for "homemade" medicine.

Something like an overwiew about a few bodyfunctions seems helpfull but i dont how if this was possible. Like Heartbeat, temperatur, Bloodpressure (if you have a bloodpressure gauge) some body chemicals (really cool when something like Bloodsugar only shown when using a test).

What happen if you have insulin but no test?

So i recently made a post on this thread here>http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/16984-scurvy-moodle-mod/ talking about scurvy and I think that would be another amazing addition to my idea, Vitamin C is sooo important (as well as all essential nutrients lol) for a human to survive any kind of apocalypses for a prolonged amount of time. One thing that I believe could and should be fixed in the game is the fact that the vitamins are practically useless only being able to relieve 1 fatigue. I think this should be changed to a caffeine pill and to relieve at least 20 fatigue, and make vitamins give the player essential daily vitamins (lets just say vitamin A,B,C,D) to prevent scurvy, or to lessen the chance of getting a cold from rain ect. I also made a scurvy moodle and was going to show it onto the thread I posted above, but photo attachment adding is turned off :\ so ill post it here. Another thing I wanted to say is if anyone has other medical ideas, maybe making homemade meds (like the new skill being added in build 33, which is gonna be awesome! I cant wait to see the new meds and how I can mod more into it :P ) or setting up a makeshift lab and creating medicine using chemicals. If you guys and gals have any ideas of other illnesses or medical problems please share ;) I'll be making a large updated post here in the next few days too :) I've been writing down ideas that pop up in my head daily and I'm looking forward to sharing them with you all, including the pixel art I've made for some of those ideas too ;)

Here is the scurvy moodle btw! : post-24316-0-61311600-1446565809.png

I made him have shriveled malnourished skin and loss of teeth due to the lack of Vitamin C

Do you have a list with the Ideas you have already collected?

Hehe sleepwalking seems a very nasty Idea. You go to bed and wake up on another place ... only sleeping pills would help (or something like that)

PS: I have textures for making Morphine and Insuline and some Plants like Camomille, Lavender, Hops or Skullcap ... and some Stuff from Breaking Dead mod. Like sleeping Pills, Painkillers, good old Meth :D

And in the Fightclub Mod you can make Glycerin.

PPS: Another Idea ... Parasites like Worms (from uncooked Meat for example) or Malaria

Or making a Salve from 1/3 Spruce Resin 1/3 Lard and 1/3 Beewax. Help good when you have small wounds.

PPPS: Have packed a few textures so you can take a look if you want anything from this http://cloud.directupload.net/N81

hmm a Defibrillator seems only usefull as Weapon :D

I am all in favour of making the game's survival mechanism harder as I feel that currently there aren't a lot of options once you've forted up. Making long long term survival problems come into effect such as vitamin deficiencies, food contamination and so forth seems an excellent addition to the game.

I would like to put forth the idea for trying to have an overarching mod pack that adds lots of options such as scurvy, cannibalism, vitamin problems etc so as to be able to coordinate what I'm sure will be overlapping mod ideas. This way repetition of effort is kept to a minimum, resources can be directed and, selfishly, I'll get to do stories for all the mods since I can't code or draw.

• 3 months later...

We need more medical problems especially with the new nutrition update coming up. I was going to make a topic on heart attack but decided to search if someone already mentioned it. Hopefully we will have more complex diseases like diabetes which effect a large percentage of the population in Kentucky and can be progressed by eating unhealthily. The zombies are not our only enemy! Those bag of chips are deadly! We need to warn everyone of the impending danger of junk food.