RELEASED: Build 29.4

RobertJohnson

You could also implement the feature to let us drink out of the Lakes, but that leads to sickness if uncooked after a while... You could also make it possible to boil the water to make it drinkable....

Not sure if this correction was made later on it this topic, but boiling water doesn't make it safe to drink. Yes boiling is needed to collect the steam which is safe to drink once collected. If you get stranded on an island please don't drink boiled water.. Set up a way to collect the steam to drink. If you have nothing but the shirt on your back, use it. Place it over the container you are heating the water in and it will soak up the steam which can then be wrung out into another container or your mouth if you wanted to do so. I have years of hiking and climbing and this is brought up a lot. Boiling water does kill and separate some of the bacteria, but it stays in the water till it turns to steam. 

it does sound a little odd, so lets see what the CDC says http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/water-disinfection

"Heat

teapot.jpg

Most germs die quickly at high temperatures. Water that has been boiled for 1 minute is safe to drink after it has cooled. If no other method of water disinfection is available, very hot tap water may be safe to drink if it has been in the tank for a while."

also check this page for more storage and cleansing advice

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/emergency/safe_water/personal.html

Boiling water is effective against a very high percent of pathogens, however environmental toxins are not pathogens and in many cases aren't effected by heat. Boiling water won't solve heavy metal poisoning which is found in some polluted lakes, however this is very, very uncommon and takes a long time to build up- you're actually far more likely to get poisoned by a fish or predatory animal living near a lake than from the actual water, due to a long and boring process that I won't go into unless people are specifically interested.

Tl;dr in an overwhelming majority of cases boiling water is all that's necessary.

Boiling water is effective against a very high percent of pathogens, however environmental toxins are not pathogens and in many cases aren't effected by heat. Boiling water won't solve heavy metal poisoning which is found in some polluted lakes, however this is very, very uncommon and takes a long time to build up- you're actually far more likely to get poisoned by a fish or predatory animal living near a lake than from the actual water, due to a long and boring process that I won't go into unless people are specifically interested.

Tl;dr in an overwhelming majority of cases boiling water is all that's necessary.

And this doesnt even touch on protozoa and parasites that also overwhelmingly die under the duress of boiling. And the fact that the temperatures reached on the surface used to collect the steam will by definition not exceed boiling point, resulting in whatever steam condensating on it to potentially be contaminated. Which is ESPECIALLY true if it were something like a shirt, which would (in a survival situation) most likely have a colourful library of filth.

You could also implement the feature to let us drink out of the Lakes, but that leads to sickness if uncooked after a while... You could also make it possible to boil the water to make it drinkable....

Not sure if this correction was made later on it this topic, but boiling water doesn't make it safe to drink. Yes boiling is needed to collect the steam which is safe to drink once collected. If you get stranded on an island please don't drink boiled water.. Set up a way to collect the steam to drink. If you have nothing but the shirt on your back, use it. Place it over the container you are heating the water in and it will soak up the steam which can then be wrung out into another container or your mouth if you wanted to do so. I have years of hiking and climbing and this is brought up a lot. Boiling water does kill and separate some of the bacteria, but it stays in the water till it turns to steam. 

Ah the old "woodland-trail-lore-to-encourage-the-shedding-of-clothing-by-young-ladies"... certainly an optimistic approach. I can see how Kidlonewolf is thinking here, but the boil/condense logic has gotten twisted along the way. When boiling the water you're going to kill everything you possibly can, with anything with a miniscule chance of surviving (most often through poor post-boiling handling i.e. not keeping the water covered while cooling) being the lowest survival risk compared with dehydration. There's cons when considering using clingfilm and various plastic containers to preserve food in fridges... but these are viewed with the perspective of full blown food poisoning and food deterioration rates, etc., etc., blah blah.

My old chemistry teacher used to tell us about how we were all living in hermetically sealed radon gas chambers (depending on the underlying geology of our abode's foundations). I think we're doing ok if we focus on heating as a priority ;-)

Anyone can run pzomboid on mac lately?

I don't frequent the forum lately, and today i was looking for some zombies to kill.

Steam version doesn't run (black start menu screen with music) in normal and compatibility mode.

And i don't find any other way to get the game.

Thanks for the help.

If you can't heat your water, then the following thing might be the solution: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection

Solar water disinfection is a type of portable water purification that uses solar energy to make biologically-contaminated (e.g. bacteria, viruses, protozoa and worms) water safe to drink.

Process for household application:

• Process for household application:
  • Colourless, transparent PET water or soda pop bottles (2 litre or smaller size) with few surface scratches are chosen for use. The labels are removed and the bottles are washed before the first use.
  • Water from contaminated sources is filled into the bottles. To improve oxygen saturation, bottles can be filled three-quarters, shaken for 20 seconds (with the cap on), then filled completely and recapped. Very cloudy water with a turbidity higher than 30 NTU must be filtered prior to exposure to the sunlight.
  • Filled bottles are then exposed to the sun. Bottles will heat faster and to higher temperatures if they are placed on a sloped sun-facing corrugated metal roof as compared to thatched roofs.
  • The treated water can be consumed directly from the bottle or poured into clean drinking cups. The risk of re-contamination is minimized if the water is stored in the bottles. Refilling and storage in other containers increases the risk of contamination.

Minimum treatment duration depends on weather: 6 hours for sunny days, 2 days if its rainy and cloudy.

But for Kentucky rainwater harvesting is probably the easiest way to get safe water.

Just wanted to say I am loving all the new sound effects that have been added in!

I tend to play on a server with friends and there is nothing better than us all going about are buisness then stopping at the chatter over the headset going:

a- Did you here that??

b - No What?

c- Yeah mate I did, bloody loud gun shot!

a- Yeah! .. Where did all these zombies come from!?

Its added so much to the fun! Specially with the screams cos we keep wondering if we should go help the 'victim' then realising there is none ^_^

No: AMBIENTE Sound only if it is "EXPLORABLE" and included in the gameplay ... how it is now, is senseless, it ruins the Immersion !

Please turn them off BUT BRING them back if you have an ingame event for it ..

... visuals and sound effects should fit together !
that would be cool, because than you know, something has happen and you have to be careful or could investigate, what you have heard

thank you

You can turn ambient sounds off yourself by replacing their sound files with empty files of the same time.

Otherwise, they're unlikely to go anywhere. Sure, those that can be represented within the game, likely will, but they serve a purpose that only (as of today) perhaps three people (including myself) have had any problem with. Everyone else seems to feel they help them become immersed within the game world.

Btw after the last hotfix seems that i can't cook ramen anymore. I have a bowl full of water , dry ramen pack but when i want to combine them to make a bowl with ramen the option doesn't appear. Any1 having the same problem? ( i don't think that the recipe has been changed ).

I stumbled on the same issue.  Also:

_had something weird going on with pie preparation and batter cake.  After doing pie preparation, I can't do a second one.  I double checked the quantities required of all ingredients and somehow the option just won't pop again.  Eventually it seems to work again but it looks like I have to put the ingredients and the previously crafted cake preparation out of my inventory and/or wait for a while. 

_foraging food always put you into "slightly fed" moodle even if you are "very well fed", or no hunger moodle, or "peckish".  Although the food value seems to work as intended once you reach "hungry", as you need to gobble down multiple forage food but once you reach back to peckish, the next chomp will get you again to "slightly fed".  Even if it brings you back to a no-moodle hunger status after a few seconds of it happening, this is making forage food virtually an infinite food source.  Some other edibles with low food values will cancel a higher state of well fed moodle to slightly fed as well.

_I haven't written down which ones yet but there is a lot of recipes from right click that do not appear with the combination of the inventory + standing next to a container that has the rest of the crafting recipe.  As a side note it could help a bit with finding out how to make stuff if not every ingredient is available, yet you are shown which ones are possible provided you get the last required.  Maybe some people would go about saying that we have to find out ourselves but I find some of the recipes not entirely intuitive whether in the quantity of a required crafting ingredient or a specific one.

_As of right now Hot Cuppas do not appear to specifically need a kettle at all to be made.

_Has anyone managed to catch birds?  I haven't tried mouses, rats and squirrels yet but they seem to always just snatch whatever I placed in my trap boxes.  I ended up using them as another wooden cage trap to catch more rabbits instead.

_Has anyone managed to catch birds?  I haven't tried mouses, rats and squirrels yet but they seem to always just snatch whatever I placed in my trap boxes.  I ended up using them as another wooden cage trap to catch more rabbits instead.

I think Box Traps are bugged or incorrectly labeled on the wiki. I only had success catching birds with stick traps using worms as bait.

I think Box Traps are bugged or incorrectly labeled on the wiki. I only had success catching birds with stick traps using worms as bait.

Never catched birds with the stick traps. I was putting them down , put the bait ( worms ) and always the bait was vanishing and no catch. :)

Never catched birds with the stick traps. I was putting them down , put the bait ( worms ) and always the bait was vanishing and no catch. :)

I had a lot of issues with traps too. Sometimes simply moving them to a different spot will resolve it. If your trying to catch birds around houses it might have a low chance.

The trap box must be bugged I guess.  I placed worms in it and everytime they'd get chomped but no catch.