make nails renewable

winsonoob

Nails can be found in the hundreds if you visit the right places such as warehouses, sheds etc. Visit the warehouses in the outskirts of a town as they're not often looted on multiplayer. No need to make them renewable as like I said they're easy to find.

I will go against the crowd and say I support this idea.

There should be a "Scavenger Skill" that allows characters to salvage resources from existing objects like beds, bookcases, tables, cabinets, and chairs.  Right now, you can right-click "Destroy" these objects with a sledgehammer and they just disappear.  Why not add a function to spawn some bonus resources using a "Scavenge" action?

To me, this would add a game play element.  The "Scavenge" action would:

• take time with a progress bar
  • make noise to attract zombies

The interesting game play choice becomes, "Do I strike out to loot new areas risking an encounter with new zombies, or do I try to do the best I can with the available resources at hand and risk attracting zombies to my current location?"

I'm not saying provide a lot of resources with the "Scavenge" option, but a few depending upon skill.  It should also generate trash items that the player can leave on the ground.

Other benefit: Over time the landscape becomes more and more looted.  Houses become stripped of furniture and furnishings. Trash accumulates where players have been. The environment takes on a more post-apocalyptic feel.

Side idea: Combine with an Erosion-mod style element where houses stripped of furniture and filled with trash begin to decay.  Maybe I should start a new thread with this idea?

In a previous build, there was a mod to make nails: 

I've re-created a similar mod from scratch, being compatible with the build 27. Besides, I added a lot more variety of recipes and more metal objects to melt. 

In this mod, you could use a campfire to melt the iron objects, but that is rare. A campfire can not reach 1538 degrees of fusion of iron. Not without a lot of help. 

In my mod, I added a new item to melt metal, the propane torch, and you need a propane tank to make it work, and propane tanks are emptied with each use. This limits the creation of nails, so to avoid abuse.

I have not uploaded this mod to the forum. But if anyone wants this mod, I can send you a download link by private message.

• 2 weeks later...