Finding Katanas in Museums

PunishmentPanda

"internet teenager who doens't know anything"

Where did I say that?

If you did watch the 2nd video you would know that yes it's much easier to deflect blunt force trauma than a slice. There is a reason why when you box they tell you when you get hit to move with the blow. When someone slices you, your body cannot move because it's slicing through it's not pushing. Blunt force is a force and it directs itself through your entire body, so yea it's much easier to deflect blunt force than than a good cut.

I'm not sure you understand how the universe works, mate. You don't get magically frozen in time if something is cutting you. Moving away from attacks is moving away from attacks- it works exactly the same, no matter what kind of attack it is.

Because you're moving away from it.

Blunt force is a force

Fuck I had no idea. Thank the light for you and internet videos, I wouldn't know anything without you.

Ballistic crystal is not bollocks but since he didn't trust that the analogue was accurate enough i posted a video of a katana getting putt through like 20 different tests; one including slicing through a pig which even Rathlord admitted would be accurate enough test. Yet even after posting it he just ignores it as its invisible lol

Also boxing and a hammer are both blunt force. Of course a hammer force is more concentrated but the basic principles are still the same. You guys are mistaking puncturing for bluntforce. I'm not trying to argue that it woudl be easier to slice through bone than it would be to take a spiky point of a pick axe and bash it into someone's head. What im saying is slicing is far superior than trying to break bones through things like a hammer, baseball bat, pole cue, gold club, heck it would even beat a sledgehammer if it wasn't for the fact of the overwhelming amount of force that gets applied in its case.

Ballistic crystal is not bollocks but since he didn't trust that the analogue was accurate enough i posted a video of a katana getting putt through like 20 different tests; one including slicing through a pig which even Rathlord admitted would be accurate enough test. Yet even after posting it he just ignores it as its invisible lol

Go back and read what I said. Lie about things that I've said one more time, and you're going to find yourself happily banned from these forums. I don't mind having a debate, but to be honest I'm quite tired of you insulting me (which is frankly just fucking stupid- why would you insult a moderator?) and I won't have you directly lying about things I've said.

Edit: Speaking of ignoring, you never quite managed to reply to the part where I brought up specific points about the structure and function of bone and why it's more resistant to slicing than it is to blunt force. You seem to just be saying things over and over again in the hopes that it will make it right. Perhaps you'd like to actually go back and read what I said and then reply to that directly? Or any of the 10 other points I've made on this page you've not responded to?

Also boxing and a hammer are both blunt force. Of course a hammer force is more concentrated but the basic principles are still the same. You guys are mistaking puncturing for bluntforce. I'm not trying to argue that it woudl be easier to slice through bone than it would be to take a spiky point of a pick axe and bash it into someone's head. What im saying is slicing is far superior than trying to break bones through things like a hammer, baseball bat, pole cue, gold club, heck it would even beat a sledgehammer if it wasn't for the fact of the overwhelming amount of force that gets applied in its case.

For the love of . . . The pig had no bones, the video said so itself! Read what others are saying; you will save yourself, and everyone, some time. Per square inch of force, a blade is easier to deflect than a hammer, period.

For the love of . . . The pig had no bones, the video said so itself! Read what others are saying; you will save yourself, and everyone, some time. Per square inch of force, a blade is easier to deflect than a hammer, period.

Well didn't see the video say anything about those pigs bones being removed but it did look pretty flimsy so i'll give you that. I'm pretty suprised, it's common knowledge that swords in general can cut through bones let alone curved blades that are made specifically for their cutting power. So first a fake bone, than a pig, and now i'll show you a piece of a pig with a thick bone in it. And what exactly are you talking about when you say deflect. By deflect i mean the distrubtion of force applied. If your talking about blocking a katana with something hard enough not to get sliced by it than sure it's pretty easy to defect it. However I was under the impression we are talking about humans, I would like to see a human being that can deflect a cut from a war blade with their body. The reason curved blades can cut through bone is because of the single point of contact the blade keeps with the object it's slicing directing all the force into the single point. With blunt objects like i said previous, that force gets spread out make it amazingly inefficient.

As far as your arguments about the human body Rathlord, all these apply to the above test. So, as it clearly shows; yes a katana can cut through bone. Since you think the model skulls are garbage and easier to cut through, I've been looking for a test with a real skull but haven't found one. However I think we can all agree that decapitating and slicing off limbs with a Katana is far easier than bashing someones skull in with a blunt weapon unless it has a very small point that can puncture instead of shatter it. If you still argue with this I give up.

Common knowledge is often wrong. Also, you keep morphing around the discussion to suit your needs. A sword is much easier to deflect than a hammer. Also no we all obviously don't agree with your assessment, not that it matters. Popular opinion does not necessarily correlate with fact.

So first a fake bone, than a pig, and now i'll show you a piece of a pig with a thick bone in it. And what exactly are you talking about when you say deflect.

Not a skull, and not what I said anyways. All I said was that PVC is a shitty analogue for a human skull- and it is. 

With blunt objects like i said previous, that force gets spread out make it amazingly inefficient.

Wrooooong. For one thing, as I already said, the internal structure of bone is such that it cracks much easier than slices. If you want to know why, actually read my post.

And for another, said tools (hammer, baseball bat) actually have curved edges also (not sure if you've ever used a hammer, but the head isn't flat- it's convex). Their surface area is obviously somewhat larger than a blade*, but not but a tremendous amount, and point #1 above illustrates why this is better.

Edit: **** I'm actually wrong about this. Surface area of a hammer is actually a fair bit smaller than that of a blade on a skull due to the length of the blade. The hammer puts out more force per area and does it in a way more likely to penetrate bone.

As far as your arguments about the human body Rathlord, all these apply to the above test. So, as it clearly shows; yes a katana can cut through bone.

Can you please go back to the part where I said that a katana can't cleave bone? I don't seem to recall ever having said that- explicitly or implicitly.

However I think we can all agree that decapitating and slicing off limbs with a Katana is far easier than bashing someones skull in with a blunt weapon unless it has a very small point that can puncture instead of shatter it. If you still argue with this I give up.

Decapitation is a whole 'nother argument. It's easy enough to do with a heavy blade on a still victim using the force of gravity to chop vertically if you have a clean shot at a gap in the vertebrae. But actually cleaving through the neck in a combat situation with a horizontal chop is something that's grossly misrepresented by hollywood. It rarely, if ever, happened and is much easier to do with wide, extremely heavy blades like a Dao.

Trying to decapitate someone on the battlefield is actually fucking stupid- whether it's zombies or living warriors. It's a great way to get your blade stuck and cost you precious time trying to get it unstuck. The chances of success are slim, and it's not something a real warrior would ever do. Welcome to hollywood, baby.

If you still argue with this I give up.

Thanks for playing, come again.

But this is all a moot point anyways, because slicing weapons are exponentially more likely to get stuck in the victim, making them tremendously inferior weapons from a realistic survival standpoint.

Yes i'm well aware that decapitating someone in real life would be pointless unless you just wanted to be ruthless. But then again baseball bats are usually not used to bash your neighbor heads in either. Usage changes with the times (in this case the apocalypse).

As far as a realistic surivval options, it doesn't get any more reaslitic than using an actually weapon instead of just improvising with something that isn't like a fireaxe. Sure PZ is the most realistic Zombie game on the market soon, but a pool cue wouldn't do anything to a skull and a good swing from a golf club could cause some big fractures but would break immediately. Same with wooden baseball bat, if you have an extremely high quality wooden one i would probably give you 5 zombies before it shatters if even that. Katana's are made for war, if you going around cutting through bone 24/7 the hardened and sharp edge isn't going to last but as far as it's estimated time of life I would last longer than anything currently in game. Well except the sledgehammer, because it's a sledgehammer. Also on another point we already have axes in game, which the katana is superior to in everyway besides chopping wood which are what fire axes are made for. I mean The blad

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/25/new-mexico-man-convicted-second-degree-murder-for-beating-doctor-to-death-with/

The bottom half of a pool cue could easily beat a man to death. Easily.

Also on another point we already have axes in game, which the katana is superior to in everyway besides chopping wood which are what fire axes are made for.

Not sure you understand how weapons work. Different weapons are better for different things in different situations. As a combo survival tool and weapon, if forced to chose between katana and axe I'd probably pick the axe.

Besides, the real strength of a katana would be it's superior reach for stabbing, and symmetrical, non-jagged blade so it doesn't get stuck when stabbing. Straight blade would be better, but it would definitely be a good zombie killer- just not in the way you think.

God knows why I read 4 pages of these fuckers arguing...

agreed, but while we're on the topic... A friend of mine bought an heirloom quality battle ready sword from the local renn faire from this company (www.angelsword.com). This thing can shave paper, at the time held the world record for most number of tameshigiri cut through with a single swing (at 23) and can (and will, we've stress tested it) hold up to chopping down a medium sized oak tree with no visible wear and tear. It did cost him 4 grand though...

I think they should be added, with a perk that allows you to know when a katana is real or not and basic know-how of swinging it.

I don't think it would be worth the time to program a perk to control what would likely be zero to one katanas in all of Knox County in real life.

@the last few responses, please have something to add to a discussion or don't reply as per our rules.

Wait, you do realize that the vast majority of the Japanese people don't wear kimonos and that by doing so (especially as a foreigner) you're going to make yourself stick out more than if you just wore normal clothes, right? …Right? And that by doing so you'd be disrespectful to the older generation of people who take their traditions seriously as a foreigner pretending to be part of their culture, and you'd be a joke to the younger generation who don't follow the old traditions?

Well said...

Now give me back my old member title, you bully. :(

You know what happens when you talk about member titles X=

I am the one that happens.
And you are the one who knocks, eh hem.

On topic, I think katanas are vastly overrated. I actually visited Pitt Rivers today and in the weapon section were plenty of substitutes for a katana; bows, crossbows, old daggers, even tiger claws if you were insane. But the thing about most of these, is that they were either in poor condition or replicas; that's what museums do nowadays. So the chance of finding a working weapon in a museum is quite low imo, and I agree wholeheartedly that it should only ever be an Easter egg.

And now, I want to watch BB again. Thanks Enigma~