Mash's secret project.

Necromatic_Corgi

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to say WOW!!! That was such an awesome surprise when logging into 34.11! Every single tile updated! Wow... super excited to see this! Not to mention this level of upgrade while (seeming to) decrease my system requirements! Stellar job!

Well done Mash, well done! Is there a mailing address that I can send a beer to? :)

5 minutes ago, lemmy101 said:

Just thought I should add here that the system requirements stuff is more likely down to EasyP's awesome lighting system overhaul. :) 

I feel like I should ask, Is there any plan to sharpen some of the textures? A few of the look soft compared to others.

I never praised the new style fully yet, but wow it is amazing. I had a dream about PZ and the most important question came to mind, how come the barricades always look so perfect from someone who put them up in a rush and was never a carpenter before? Now it's been fixed, some of the barricades are mis-aligned and I think it looks far more realistic. 

10 hours ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

I feel like I should ask, Is there any plan to sharpen some of the textures? A few of the look soft compared to others.

well that depends, either you have texture compression enabled due to the power of your gfx card and its compressing the tiles, or perhaps its a 1x tile that's been upscaled and is not double size by error which is why it's in IWBUMS, or otherwise if you're picking faults with the new tiles in which case, no mash has spent a huge amount of time doing it and will not likely be further replacing tilesets. I really hope it's one of the former two to be honest :P

I must say the game now looks great. I love the way the game is going. I know that for many of us (including myself) the dev speed is slow but each update you guys make is fun and worth all that time. The only true Zombie survival. I hope you make the money you deserve.

1 hour ago, lemmy101 said:

well that depends, either you have texture compression enabled due to the power of your gfx card and its compressing the tiles, or perhaps its a 1x tile that's been upscaled and is not double size by error which is why it's in IWBUMS, or otherwise if you're picking faults with the new tiles in which case, no mash has spent a huge amount of time doing it and will not likely be further replacing tilesets. I really hope it's one of the former two to be honest :P

It's no offence to mash at all, The update is amazing there's just a few tiles like some stoves look out of place.

Picture from the 34.11 thread.

new.jpg

Btw the texture compression is off.

1 hour ago, lemmy101 said:

mash has spent a huge amount of time doing it and will not likely be further replacing tilesets

Replacing? No. Improving why not :)? I don't find any of them to be much blurry though - some are slightly uneven at the close look, but that's because the new detailed look is less forgiving than the old pixelated one, but it's nothing bit really. Some tiles display are a little bugged  ("shiny" grass, see-through fences, etc.) but it'll be more likely tweaked down the road.

For sure if you see bugs report them, but Sly wolf still hasn't made clear what his issue with that picture is, since the screenshot provided has 100% 2x sprites and no floor blending issues or question marks I assume it's critique on the art itself, which considering the obvious massive improvement over the original and huge amount of time spent on them may be lacking in some tact IMHO :P

48 minutes ago, lemmy101 said:

You're posting a picture that looks perfectly awesome to me, one Will himself took to show how cool the new tiles are, and basically saying 'see, look!' - I don't know what you're talking about :(

I know they look awesome :P I was just suggesting sharpening the stoves that looks to smooth.

I just realized this but the new art style kinda resembles a lot of the Main Menu art style, which is very cool, its like the world is a drawing from it.

34 minutes ago, lemmy101 said:

For sure if you see bugs report them, but Sly wolf still hasn't made clear what his issue with that picture is, since the screenshot provided has 100% 2x sprites and no floor blending issues or question marks I assume it's critique on the art itself, which considering the obvious massive improvement over the original and huge amount of time spent on them may be lacking in some tact IMHO :P

One question thought, apart from the improvement from the original art, what else does the new art improve upon in the engine? I know there must be another reason for this optimization.

28 minutes ago, Rathlord said:

I can't see anything wrong with the stove. Are you sure it's not just because you're zooming in on a picture of the max zoomed in game?

No it's just me in-game, I guess it's just a taste thing. It's only a couple stoves that don't look right to me, Everything else is perfect.

9 hours ago, MadDan2013 said:

I did notice there seemed to be one extra zoom and then the textures go back to being blurry, zoom out one and they're sharp. Not sure if that's intentional or not to have an extra zoom?

It's a consequence of scaling the graphics, according to EasyPickins.