Addiction

Crossbow7734

Hi!

I just realised that in PZ you can't get addicted. I mean that there is alcohol and drugs, so your chracter should get addicted in result of drinking alcohol, somoking cigs, or using drugs too often. You may also start with alcohol addicted/ drugs addicted/ cigs addicted charcter. I have no idea what kind off problems this addictions should make, when you are rapidly stop drinking/smoking etc. coz im not addicted to anything ;D

(If you have ideas and/or experience with that stuff you can write it here)  I know my idea is soooo plain and obvious, and maybe something like it was written before. I appologise for this, and for quality of my language ( English isn't my native ;-;)     

(quote fail... Bloody phone)

There could be more than just addiction as a personality trait thing that could encourage wild adventures.

If there were more bonuses and negative affects from happiness. There would be plenty of things (seemingly useless) items that could be collected to remain happy and fight off insanity.

Toys, games, beauty products, music, videos, flowers and plants, a nice rug, good food, clean home, nice hat etc etc.

This could also be too much micro management and really annoying.

This has been suggested a lot, I kinda wonder how to implement it mechanically because atm, short of roleplaying, addictions would have next to no effect other than being there.

I mean, I'm addicted to smoking, I have some seriously bad anger management issues and I smoke to calm myself down, not smoking makes me stressed out. PZ has a stressed moodle but it has no (or maybe some tiny effect, idk) effect as far as game mechanics go.

Once we have NPCs where stress/anger/depression/drunkenness affects interactions and where trading is a thing I could see it work out fine but currently, as PZ stands, we might as well roleplay the addiction because short of some serious hard drug withdrawal effects, the physical kind that really fck you up (and there are no hard drugs in PZ) I don't see how addiction could be made a solid thing that has any real effect on SP/MP gameplay.

Addiction in RL can never be compared to addiction in games (same like Hunger or sleepiness). When i play games like fallout i dont care about addiction because i let my Char sleep some days and hey i am clean.

In RL i wish this would work. Running through many addictions and fighting them was never easy.

Let us take an example.

Hmm maybe Heroin (not in game but when it was in game ..) i think when you are addicted to Heroin and you dont have it your Char should be unplayable for days. Combine with terrified waves of Paranoia and fear and pain (until your next shot). And yes with Alcohol its the same. I know some people who dont can do anything until they have drunk something.

Today when i have no cigarettes i am stessed, nervous  and have a tendency to become aggressive. But when i was younger and i dont have some of "Nosesugar" i am near to become insane to get some of this. this is what i mean. If you are addicted to what ever your only thoght circle around the question how to get more of this stuff. 

Eat, sleep, wash? Ahw give me fist my Stuff!

And if you finaly clean you must fight the craving a whoole life.

So i think addiction should be more like ... hey my char, please go to the Tree and chop it down ... no i dont want it yet first i want to drink something or i do nothing!

Your char should rebell to yourself ... totaly insubordination until you give him what he want.

I've thought about it too, and came up with this:

For example:

You choose the addiction "chain smoker", that means if you have cigarettes on your character, it will automatically consume them and be happy. If you don't have some you'll get stressed out.

Same goes to alcoholic, if theres whiskey in your inventory he/she is gonna take a sip from it every now and then, being jolly and balanced. But if there's no alcohol in your pockets, you're going to get some because otherwise a vicious downwards spiral begins.

I'd like to add some other "addictions" that kind of blow the roof of the concept, like:

- Being overly religios: Has to read a bible now and then and pray to relief stress

- Workaholic: Has to build things, destroy things, pick up things, be busy

- Hoarder: Automatically picks up random items from containers in reach, cluttering your inventory time after time

- Food addict: Needs chocolate, chips, cupcakes and so on, to stay functional

- Combative: Needs to hit zombies and players to stay calm

- Medication Addict: Gets through the day with sleeping tablets, painkillers and vitamins

It would be fun if the character had some more life of its own, and

if you had to choose one really gameplay-effecting negative trait/addiction,

so that the player is being forced to do things to stay smooth, giving everybody

a serious history and motivation to act the chosen role.

Another idea. When you have in your group an npc survivor who is addicted i.e from smoking, if you spare him ( i hope i can say it like that) a cigarette, that will incerase relations between you and him/her. Just a little, but nice and useful thing.

P.s: my english quality sucks ;-;

As a nicotine-addict, I can say that when people spare me one ciggarette, or even buy me a box, it boost a bit things. But this depends of each one personality. I like when someone is good/evil enough to spare me a cigg.

Don't worry by your speech (or writing) I'm also kind of sucks sometimes, but it wil go smoothly when you aren't even paying attention  ;)

Addiction in RL can never be compared to addiction in games (same like Hunger or sleepiness). When i play games like fallout i dont care about addiction because i let my Char sleep some days and hey i am clean.

In RL i wish this would work. Running through many addictions and fighting them was never easy.

Let us take an example.

Hmm maybe Heroin (not in game but when it was in game ..) i think when you are addicted to Heroin and you dont have it your Char should be unplayable for days. Combine with terrified waves of Paranoia and fear and pain (until your next shot). And yes with Alcohol its the same. I know some people who dont can do anything until they have drunk something.

Today when i have no cigarettes i am stessed, nervous  and have a tendency to become aggressive. But when i was younger and i dont have some of "Nosesugar" i am near to become insane to get some of this. this is what i mean. If you are addicted to what ever your only thoght circle around the question how to get more of this stuff. 

Eat, sleep, wash? Ahw give me fist my Stuff!

And if you finaly clean you must fight the craving a whoole life.

So i think addiction should be more like ... hey my char, please go to the Tree and chop it down ... no i dont want it yet first i want to drink something or i do nothing!

Your char should rebell to yourself ... totaly insubordination until you give him what he want.

No matter which adiction one could have, all are the worse, like the good 'ol ciggy's.

And chars not being your avatars in-game could be challenging as fuck. I like that :)  

Oooohhhh someone should make a hoarding addiction mod... oh wait... is that describing vanilla mode already? I'd love to see addictions to things like cigarettes and alcohol.

It'd be awesome to get a boost to accuracy and happiness for a short time when smoking a cigarette, and then a negative effect to happiness and accuracy for a long duration if another cigarette was not consumed. This would be great for actually using all the millions of cigarettes in the game too. it could also decrease your fitness over time, since it's hard to run when you've been smoking a while.