Why bows and ability to make arrows is not good idea

hrot

Your right what was i thinking, the only thing engineers can do is create precision machining within nano meter accuracy, bow technology is beyond this right? Ya.. your right, because engineers don't have the knowledge to make something that was made 16,000 years ago. But if you think this then you probably think Earth is only 5,000 years old, so you see a flaw in my logic.

wxtirKR.pngModerator Warning

If you make another derogatory remark about people's beliefs, obviously pointed at religion, or continue posting in such a hostile tone you will be given a time out from these forums. Take a deep breath and realize we're having a friendly discussion about a video game. If you can't be polite and friendly doing it, you will be removed.

Your right what was i thinking, the only thing engineers can do is create precision machining within nano meter accuracy, bow technology is beyond this right? Ya.. your right, because engineers don't have the knowledge to make something that was made 16,000 years ago. But if you think this then you probably think Earth is only 5,000 years old, so you see a flaw in my logic.

Knowing about one thing doesn't mean you know about another thing. I'm not sure what it is you think engineers do, but complex woodworking isn't it. You're also still ignoring the important bit that making a bow requires foreknowledge of how it's done, not just intelligence.

Again, vocational training in some specific field does not mean you have unlimited knowledge of how to do everything else in the world. Engineering is not in any way related to the crafting of a bow. Read my post, making a bow isn't as easy as tying a string to a stick. There are plenty of things that were made thousands of years ago that modern people have no idea how to do. Would you know how to use a loom if I set you down in front of it? I doubt it. Same thing here. Old doesn't mean easy.

Snip

Read my post, making a bow isn't as easy as tying a string to a stick. There are plenty of things that were made thousands of years ago that modern people have no idea how to do. Would you know how to use a loom if I set you down in front of it? I doubt it. Same thing here. Old doesn't mean easy.

To be fair, I can make a bow. (not a fantastic bow but I almost guarantee I could hunt with it.) and I'm a complete moron. ;) So if a complete moron can learn how to make a decent bow with the guidance of his grandma then a person who is only half a moron could surely do it. :P In other words, a guy who smothers his wife with a pillow trying to make her comfy... No names mentioned... >.> lol

Like I said before, it's not terribly hard to make a bow that can launch 3 shots at a decent power before breaking, or can last forever but have no power at all. What's hard is getting both.

If you don't mind me asking, could you post a picture of your bow? How many times have you fired it? Like I said before, I've tried on multiple occasions with a fair bit of foreknowledge and was not able to make a durable one.

If you don't mind me asking, could you post a picture of your bow? How many times have you fired it? Like I said before, I've tried on multiple occasions with a fair bit of foreknowledge and was not able to make a durable one.

I would but I don't have it anymore. After my grandma passed away my cousin wanted it and so I gave it to him assuming I could always make another .if it helps any we used a rather thin piece of wood and carved it out and cut it down small enough to be flexible. We then carved notches in both ends and we used a rope of some kind to turn it into a bow string. It wasn't the most powerful, not even sure it could penetrate a skull, although, it did penetrate a tree. Honestly though I didn't use that one. It was more for looks and I kept it because it was the first bow I ever made. My grandma did most of the work I just helped construct it. But she made the string so I'm not sure what process she used to make it, all I know is I tried it recently and was incapable of mimicking the process. 

Post #51 was too offensive? Sorry, i'll just stay off these forums. Making bow and arrow is not difficult, i could make one with zero experience, so please stop making it to be some forbidden craft and asking for picture proof.

If you can't be bothered to be friendly then that's fine. If you'd read my post, you'd see there's a lot more to making a bow then one might think. Since you refuse to actually discuss the process and instead just dismiss everyone else's opinion out of hand, I'll have to ask you to stop posting in this thread. Cya round.

Post #51 was too offensive? Sorry, i'll just stay off these forums. Making bow and arrow is not difficult, i could make one with zero experience, so please stop making it to be some forbidden craft and asking for picture proof.

If you can't be bothered to be friendly then that's fine. If you'd read my post, you'd see there's a lot more to making a bow then one might think. Since you refuse to actually discuss the process and instead just dismiss everyone else's opinion out of hand, I'll have to ask you to stop posting in this thread. Cya round.

Prototype, there's nothing wrong with asking for evidence. Also, speaking of evidence. Rathlord, I wasn't able to get a picture of my bow but I have a friend who makes bows and she let me user hers as an example of how easy it is. It can withstand about 50 to 60 lbs of pressure (at least that's what I've been told.) Here's the bow itself. 

(actually can someone tell me how to upload a pic to here from my PC?)

If i would have known that this topic get so hot i would have taken pics of my last try a few month ago.

I took a about 4 cm strong willow tree if you wanna called it a tree and just standard string we use for getting hay and straw in a pack.

Worked fine even we just used it for fun and don´t know for how long it would last, but we fired at least 100 times with it without breaking and had been able to penetrade 4x4 cm wood with selfmade arrow out of oak with a cut off nail as tip.

Guess next time i visit my brother we have to do it again to proof that making a bow, arrows and use it at least for a certain time and have enough power isn´t rocket sience.

But have to say aming and hitting is quit a diffrent topic, just had about 5 hits with maybe 50-60 tries.

For in Game reasons and IRL you can learn by error and trail to build one, lasting at least for a while and with decent power and also with time you will learn to use it if you want to put enough effort in it. Sure it would never be as powerfull as a gun or crossbow and never so acurate but still good enough on short distance and with trainig maybe also on medium distance.

But please people don´t forget that most likly the people gonna try this are survivor with a will to do so and also some experience and mostly a bit of genius to make what ever they need to do to survive.

It's definitely possible to do it yourself with some decent results; it'd be silly to argue otherwise. I'm fine with it going into game that way as long as it doesn't last and isn't nearly as accurate or damaging as professionally made, looted bows.

Yupp, i see it the same way :) and i would love to have this silent option to kill Z and later on go hunting, since i barly use guns in the game anyway :)

It's definitely possible to do it yourself with some decent results; it'd be silly to argue otherwise. I'm fine with it going into game that way as long as it doesn't last and isn't nearly as accurate or damaging as professionally made, looted bows.

similar to the "player made" fishing poles vs the "commercial" fishing poles

I think crossbows/ bow and arrows are too novelty for this game.

I could MAYBE see a crossbow if there were like... a museum in the game to give it a reasonable context for existing, but other than that, there's no reason to involve inferior, more complicated ranged weaponry than standard guns.

what?

"novelty"?

bow and arrow or crossbow can be just as deadly as any gun, but without giving away your position to the zombies, NPC or the animal you may be hunting.

plus, it is already confirmed they will be in the game

I know im very late to this party but im going to throw in my 2c anyway.

making a bow and arrow it totally doable without training. I dont know whats wrong with people these days but everyone thinks you cant do something unless your "certified".

me and a friend made a decent enough bow out of a palm frong and some heavy fishing line. the arrow was a piece of wooden dowl with a pointy metal pen lid jammed on the end, and a bunch of feathers taped to the back for drag.

primitive but it worked just fine and easily good enough to hunt birds or small game.

powerful enough to punch a hole right through a door. (we got in A LOT of trouble for that...)

and we were only 9 years old!

given some time and practice we could have refined it in to a perfectly relyable hunting tool.

Brains people. if your not going to use them, you may aswell feed em to the Zombies.

I think crossbows/ bow and arrows are too novelty for this game.

I could MAYBE see a crossbow if there were like... a museum in the game to give it a reasonable context for existing, but other than that, there's no reason to involve inferior, more complicated ranged weaponry than standard guns.

Museum? Dude, crossbows are still in active use across America. I've seen a dozen of them in a dozen different houses across Kentucky, not to mention the dozen or so on sale at the archery store down the street from my house.

I know im very late to this party but im going to throw in my 2c anyway.

making a bow and arrow it totally doable without training. I dont know whats wrong with people these days but everyone thinks you cant do something unless your "certified".

me and a friend made a decent enough bow out of a palm frong and some heavy fishing line. the arrow was a piece of wooden dowl with a pointy metal pen lid jammed on the end, and a bunch of feathers taped to the back for drag.

primitive but it worked just fine and easily good enough to hunt birds or small game.

powerful enough to punch a hole right through a door. (we got in ALLOT of trouble for that...)

and we were only 9 years old!

I know, I did the same thing as a kid (though I just used some saplings).

Would totally bury that dowel 2 mm into tree bark.

(Most doors are hollow core and unfortunately pretty similar to cardboard . . . )