REZZED Panel feat. Dean Hall

Anyone else watch this vid from the mondoid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8jqfWDbVNJ4#t=4159

I just fell in love with TiS all over again x1000 :) They always know just the right thing to say to an old Brooks fan like myself. 

I also felt that Dean was a bit...awkward? He said some things that are the opposite of what I believe about zombie culture and lore, and was it just me or did it feel a bit like PZ were sort of...embarassed and uncomfortable near him? Yeah, that's what I'm asking...was it just me? Or was there a bit of a weird vibe?

I loved TiS though, PZ for GOTY :)

EDIT: Except Mash said she doesn't like zombies :( wahhh

What is it that you disagree about?

Don't see how they appear embarrassed during the talk. Could you elaborate on what you mean? :)

Same here, I'm a little confused on how he appears awkward. Not sure if embarrassed is what you meant but either way I think what Dean Hall has done is very impressive especially how he handles a lot of PR.

I'd say TIS seemed a bit nervous about being in front of a group of like 1000 people and Dean seemed pretty comfortable (though the running in joke was that Rezzed was 'The Dean Hall and Friends show'. I wouldn't say anyone was uncomfortable with each other just a bit nervous of the situation.

Though I wouldn't know for certain it wasn't like I was sat in the front row fanboying over them or anything...  :oops:

Haha, I felt exactly the opposite--Dean was very comfortable on the panel, and the three of us were very nervous.  He saved us more than once when we couldn't think of anything to say :D  (He is also very friendly and lovely in person, btw, so any discomfort you see from our end is definitely not due to him!)

I'd say TIS seemed a bit nervous about being in front of a group of like 1000 people and Dean seemed pretty comfortable (though the running in joke was that Rezzed was 'The Dean Hall and Friends show'. I wouldn't say anyone was uncomfortable with each other just a bit nervous of the situation.

Though I wouldn't know for certain it wasn't like I was sat in the front row fanboying over them or anything...  :oops:

I enjoyed calling it "The Dean Hall Variety Hour ft Dean Hall"

Not knocking him mind, he's incredibly charismatic and seems to tell some great stories, that how can you not become enthralled with someone like that? He seems like the sort of person I would put on a list of people I would like to sit down with and just listen to for an hour.

I enjoyed calling it "The Dean Hall Variety Hour ft Dean Hall"

Not knocking him mind, he's incredibly charismatic and seems to tell some great stories, that how can you not become enthralled with someone like that? He seems like the sort of person I would put on a list of people I would like to sit down with and just listen to for an hour.

he does seem like a really nice guy but we'd be lying if we didn't point out just how many of the developer sessions he was in :P

Dean is a reaaallllyyyy cool guy, he's awesome :D

But less awesome than Tooks, that's for sure.

Anyway, back to France ! :P

You not home yet? I figured you would be home by now.  :???:  Have a nice journey!  (clyde)

Nah, I'm back in france sorry (and not back TO france... :()

So sad that you're not with me anymore Connall :(

Dean is a reaaallllyyyy cool guy, he's awesome :D

But less awesome than Tooks, that's for sure.

Anyway, back to France ! :P

You not home yet? I figured you would be home by now.  :???:  Have a nice journey!  (clyde)

Nah, I'm back in france sorry (and not back TO france... :()

So sad that you're not with me anymore Connall :(

Why do you think I was asking if you were home yet? I've been hiding in your suitcase for hours and need to go for a walk. Seriously, don't rough handle your suitcase so much.

Edit: In all seriousness it was awesome meeting you and interacting/joking around with you for the weekend. Wish you were still here. :(

OP here :) I guess what I meant by awkward was....and I mean no disrespect to Dean here, but Day Z was great until it became (as TiS put it) a stripping people and handcuffing them simulator. So then PZ comes out and does EVERYTHING RIGHT (all caps) and I felt like Dean felt embarassed in a sense because, he now sort of has to play catch up (to this little rogue team of punk coders doing [again] EVERYTHING RIGHT.

So yeah, as I say, I love Dean and I love Day Z for what it is, and what it has done to the landscape. But I find some of his versions/views/comments of the apocalypse just a bit different from ours (TiS, PZ's, mine etc.) and yeah, I dunno! It felt like Metallica being interviewed with some really hot up and coming local band! :)

But great to hear you guys all get along and he's a great dude! Just a bit...bro-y maybe for my tastes :)

OP here :) I guess what I meant by awkward was....and I mean no disrespect to Dean here, but Day Z was great until it became (as TiS put it) a stripping people and handcuffing them simulator. So then PZ comes out and does EVERYTHING RIGHT (all caps) and I felt like Dean felt embarassed in a sense because, he now sort of has to play catch up (to this little rogue team of punk coders doing [again] EVERYTHING RIGHT.

So yeah, as I say, I love Dean and I love Day Z for what it is, and what it has done to the landscape. But I find some of his versions/views/comments of the apocalypse just a bit different from ours (TiS, PZ's, mine etc.) and yeah, I dunno! It felt like Metallica being interviewed with some really hot up and coming local band! :)

But great to hear you guys all get along and he's a great dude! Just a bit...bro-y maybe for my tastes :)

Well Project Zomboid was out before DayZ, so he's not really doing catch up. :P

Well Project Zomboid was out before DayZ, so he's not really doing catch up. :P

Also as dean quite rightly points out PZ can be so complex in its nature due to its art style so while dayz might have the graphics in its favour it takes a lot more work and time to get features that are added into pz to work in dayz. There is a reason all your complex survival games favour a more simplistic style (pz, neo scavenger etc)

<3 for the stuff in all-caps ;)

One of the things in the panel which Dean emphasises is the balancing act between making the zombies a threat and being over-powered *because* there are so few of them. In Zomboid, we have hordes and so can afford to be 'pure' with a zombie's individual weakness.

I don't believe the zombies in DayZ to be the result of differing personal taste but rather a necessary adaptation on account of the vastly greater computational complexity of producing huge numbers of zombies in a 3D realistic environment. Were he able to snap his fingers and magic some ridiculous futuristic technical wizardry out of the aether, I think he'd have slow moving weak shamblers in DayZ in a heartbeat.

As he said in the panel, 3D is both DayZ's greatest feature and its greatest curse.

<3 for the stuff in all-caps ;)

One of the things in the panel which Dean emphasises is the balancing act between making the zombies a threat and being over-powered *because* there are so few of them. In Zomboid, we have hordes and so can afford to be 'pure' with a zombie's individual weakness.

I don't believe the zombies in DayZ to be the result of differing personal taste but rather a necessary adaptation on account of the vastly greater computational complexity of producing huge numbers of zombies in a 3D realistic environment. Were he able to snap his fingers and magic some ridiculous futuristic technical wizardry out of the aether, I think he'd have slow moving weak shamblers in DayZ in a heartbeat.

As he said in the panel, 3D is both DayZ's greatest feature and its greatest curse.

I totally agree about the computational stuff for sure.

But, and again I should just let this go, but for me there was a distinction between the way you both spoke about Zeke. 

When Dean said 'err...its just an enemy, i wouldn't play a peak oil game, so we have to throw some enemy in there" that felt empty to me, like, "whatever, just throw some zombies in there call it a day" (incidentally, I would play a game about peak oil...)

But then TiS came back with "I see the monster all too often, what we're going for, is the genre" that just blew my mind, thats such an eloquent way of putting it. Thats the distinction between Romero/Brooks and Dead Island/Dead Rising (great games in and of themselves [kinda]) . It isn't the monster.

The other concrete example was Dean saying "i think people play zombie games because they want to experience a world without rules" all i see when he says that is five guys in army outfits making one noob strip to his beans and spiffo...

meanwhile. TiS response to the same issue: "whats great about zombie games is anyone can be the hero, you can be the hero! you don't have to be a muscle drenched green clad hero of time with a big gun and a pikachu (im pretty sure Mash said all this but I could be paraphrasing) but you can just be you. you can be the hero" again mind=blown. TiS just get it, inside and out. 

I <3 You guys!

But in all honesty I will stop here :) I think it might have helped some people if i give these concrete examples of what I meant, but in going in to bat for TiS maybe I accidentally hit Dean, and that wasn't my intention!

PS! I'm an Aussie so when I hear Dean's Kiwi twang (which is similar to ours) I just cringe inside at the global embarrassment of it all :) :) :)

Thanks again TiS!!!!!!! (Oh and I've finally got onto the 3D models build and it is sublime!)

EDIT: Except Mash said she doesn't like zombies :( wahhh

This question is directed at you Mash! Could you elaborate on why you don't like zombies yet you are making the quintessential greatest zombie game in existence? A part of my soul died when I heard any of TiS speak those words...please tell me it isn't true! Tell us you didn't mean it!!?? :) 

I'm not sure she said she doesn't like zombies, it's more than she's not a huge zombie fan like us reading/watching almost everything about them :D

So she doesn't hate zombie, but neither she love them, I think she's "ok" with them :P (if i remember well the pre-panel talk with the team..)

Archived