Bottling and drinking your own Urine

Raccoongamer

the devs pay homage to the greatest of all survival experts BEAR GRYLLS !?How you may ask? by allowing the player to bottle and drink their own urine.It could restore around 20-25 thirst and for the first couple times you drink your own pee it increases your sadness by 10 points then increase it by 5 points for the next few bottles then no points from then on out due to your survivor being used to the salty yellow beverage .

My dear Sir, I do most earnestly appreciate your eagerness in contributing to the quest for realism ingame, however, I must say that such an idea is not osmething that would be considered  ...elegant. After all, what good would surviving a zombie apocalypse be, should one not uphold proper etiquette ?

Now, do repeat after me - the pinky goes away when the axe enters the fray... ;-)

I have yet to run out of water in this game. So I haven't encountered a time when my char needed to drink his own urine. It seems to rain enough, that with a little preparation, you can survive a very long time without having to worry about water.

If I went on a hike I just made sure to fill my water bottle before I left.

Never had the need to drink my urine. Then again I've never had the need to drink bleach either, but thats in game.

what happens when the water shuts off and you don't have any way getting water when your away from your base?

I just think it would be a cool addition to the realism factor and a nice tribute to Bear 

@Aenye Deithven

when the world ends and your government fails to protect and prepare its citizen for a disaster

such as the "zombie apocalypse" elegance is put on the back burner for a while until society can rebuild itself. 

When people drink their own urine they survive despite it, not because of it. It is overall not a very effective survival strategy, just because the TV said it does not make it true. If you filter it somehow or something you can make it drinkable, but not just straight out of the body.

Your absolutely right. filtering it would be needed if you wish to avoid getting sick.  

adding the construction of water filtration systems would make the bags of sand and gravel useful 

My god, there's a hundredandfifty ways to obtain water and a hundredandfifty more in an urban environment. Drill a hole damnit, use rain barrel collector, catch evaporized water from plants. Just stop drinking your pee!

yes yes but where is the fun in that?

Bear Grylls is a nincompoop. 

I've only heard one other person speak seriously about drinking urine. Otherwise, its bear doing it gratuitously on TV.

But on topic,

it shoudl give MUCH more than -5 sadness. More like -50 with high chance of getting queasy.

Isn't urine supposed to be incredibly difficult to reliably filter? I'm pretty sure the filters they use on the space station break constantly because of all the crap they have to filter out.

But yeah, drinking urine is stupid. It tends to be very salty and will only make you even more dehydrated.

You want to distil urine to make it drinkable, not filter it. Same as with saltwater.

I think to effectively distill urine without knowing how to build or use a real distillery (just a makeshift one as most people that is the best they could do) you would have to have quite a bit of urine and the payoff would be much smaller. I mean maybe if it was the zombie doomsday in the desert it might be worth it, but at that point I would probably be trying to filter, distill, and sterilize zombie blood as well (I am confident I could do it safely but hey, who wants to try the first drink to see if it is safe for sure? I would have to be quite desperate for something to drink).

Wait... What? That would not ever work. For a huge number of reasons. No way\. Any blood you'd get from a zombie would be a congealed, gelatinous mess. You wouldn't be able to filter it to get the water out of it and you wouldn't be able to boil it for distillation because that would just turn it into a solid mass of blackened tar. If you were so thirsty as to consider doing something insane like that, you'd be better off picking a random spot of ground and digging straight down to see if you find water.

I always figured on the zombie blood being a congealed, coagulated mess that splatters out as a thick gel rather than a liquid. You have to understand blood starts to pool and coagulate within hours of death, so in order for this to even come remotely close to working at all you'd have to have seen the zed reanimate yourself.

But yeah, I stand by the notion that it couldn't possibly work to get water this way. You'd be better off putting your time and effort into digging a well. Just as much work and a much higher chance of success.

you dont have to filter or distill urine to drink it, it is free of bacteria and a healthy persons urine is usually over 95% water.

the danger in doing this is that 1. it will only keep you alive for maybe 1-2 more days at the absolute best, and 2. you are also consuming the waste excreted by your kidneys, which ends up going right back into your kidneys. if you were to drink urine for several days straight the toxins would build up and you would likely suffer symptoms related to total kidney failure. (if you hadnt already died of dehydration from drinking your own piss)

it would work, but only in the most dire situations, and even then would only buy you a small amount of time.

IMO i think its a worthwhile addition because i have almost died of dehydration before (in the game) going on long journeys taht i wasnt prepared for. Then again the devs have said that bodily functions like that wont be in the game, so i dont think it would be added anyway.

Urine is only mostly water when the person in question is very well hydrated. Meaning they have access to ample supplies of water and wouldn't even need to consider the idea. But when you're severely dehydrated to the point where you'd even consider the idea, the amount of water in your urine would already have reduced down where you'd do more harm to yourself than good if you drank it.

You'd just be reintroducing into your system all of those chemicals and waste products your body is desperately trying to get rid of, meaning it now has to work even harder to get rid of that stuff on top of what it's already having to deal with. You wouldn't be buying yourself precious hours. You'd be taking them away.

The same could basically be said for not drinking it. Your kidneys are going to continue removing toxins from your body until the moment you die, or they shut down and you die from kidney failure. More water is only going to help this process, its going to keep fluids moving through your body.

There have also been several stories where people survived drinking there own urine:

Daniel Chong drank his own urine for several days to survive, after being forgotten in a holding cell by the DEA

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2381573/Daniel-Chong-Student-forced-drink-URINE-DEA-left-cell-FIVE-days-gets-4m-payout.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/02/daniel-chong-dea-urine-cell-5-days_n_1470430.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_of_Daniel_Chong

A chinese man survived 6 days trapped under a collapsed building drinking his own urine

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2008/05/the_yellow_liquid_diet.html

miners trapped for 5 days drank their own urine several times over to survive

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6968589.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-478062/Two-trapped-Chinese-miners-eat-coal-drink-urine-miraculous-escape.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/08/28/us-china-mine-coal-idUSHER84415320070828

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-08-28-3110340222_x.htm

only a few examples that pop up immediately upon searching

if i though i would die i wouldnt hesitate to drink my own piss

Collecting and bottling piss? Sure, why not. Pour it into a solar still to collect the water. Throw it at zombies! Annoy your friends, terrify your enemies!

Admittedly, the best use I can think of for urine would be for watering plants. Diluted, the urea content is good for them. Plus, for some reason or another, frequently urinating on a lemon tree yields better fruit.

As for boiling zombie blood to give water? Not going to happen. Distilling the blood, distilling the collected water, and so on for several times. Not only are you going to loose a large amount of water with those successive distillations using whatever ad-hoc equipment you've set up, you're ignoring the one, glaringly huge problem. Viruses are tough little bastards. It stands to reason that whatever causes the zombie infection can be treated like a virus (even if it's a magical space germ, odd radiation, or Chemical X). Distillation isn't going to kill whatever you've got in that container of collected blood moisture. Using a molecular sieve could potentially work to filter out any nasties, but good luck finding any outside of a laboratory environment. Saturating it with bleach could work, but then you've got bleach you can't remove from the water. So much for drinking it.

For all those worrying about running out of water: All sinks, toilets, showers, etc. in PZ have a few uses remaining after the water turns off. If you still haven't built a rain collector by then, you can always start hauling water from nearby houses using buckets and pots. Provided you're not gorging yourself on soup, or watering crops, a few pots of water can last quite a while.

This would be hilarious in MP.

I can imagine having multiple bottles of orange soda, dumping one out, drinking one, and peeing in the empty, repeating til all bottles are filled with pee.

Then you can give them to your mates.

And then run away outside cackling loudly to yourself only to get ripped apart by zombies.

Interesting ideas in here.  Of course one has to realize that with the amount of rainfall in Knox County you could almost assuredly get enough water just by standing outside with your mouth open...but if we're going to take this topic seriously, then I would say:

As has been mentioned before, you would not filter urine, you would distill it.  Filtering urine is very difficult to do properly and as a side effect your filtering material will become less effective as time goes on, whereas the equipment used for distillation never really gets 'used up'.  If the temperature is high enough (say on a warm day) it is remarkably easy to do even if all you have is a couple of containers (one larger than the other so that you can put the smaller one inside the larger one), a piece of plastic, and a small pebble.  All things you could easily find during the apocalypse.  The more equipment and resources you get the easier it gets - by the time you have the equipment necessary to make a cup of tea and the ability to create fire you also have what you need for a more functional distillation process.

Also:  You CAN drink your own urine directly and derive some useful moisture from it, but as has also been pointed out there are diminishing returns; the more dehydrated you are (or the more often you have been drinking your own urine) the less benefit you will receive.  Even the distillation process is not indefinite; each time you use it you will come away with less and less distilled liquid, and the less efficient your distiller is the less liquid you will recover each time.  In other words without a secondary source of water you can't plan on surviving on urine alone for more than a couple of days no matter which method you use.

As far as filtering/distilling zombie blood...not going to happen.  You'd never be able to filter or distill safe, useable water from regular blood outside of a laboratory setting; zombie blood is going to be a nasty congealed infectuous nightmare and you'd be insane to even make the attempt.  As I mentioned earlier you'd do better to just stand outside at a random time of day with your mouth open and wait for water to fall into it.