How will your country survive the zombie apocalypse?

RedKrypton

There are the three questions, which have to be answered:

Where will the majority of the non infected population flee?

How will they survive there?

Are there any special physical landmarks where in your country? (big rivers, mountain ranges, islands)

Good now to my home country of Austria:

Austria hasn't got a lot of big cities. The biggest city is Vienna with about 1.8 million population. The next biggest cities are Graz and Linz, which have a fraction of Viennas population. Most of Austria is very rural with very small towns of 3000 - 10000 of population.

Most of my country is very mountainous with the alps. It would be easily defendable in case of of the ZA. Then there is the Danube, which flows through Upper and Lower Austria and is the perfect place to disrupt zombie migration from the north.

After the mayhem starts the majority of the population will try to get to the alps were there is a low population and easily defendable terrain.

A lot of bridges and tunnels can be demolished or sealed probably making the alps one of the safest locations to be.

The survival will largly depend on the mountain agroculture and livestock. There is a lot of wood to build with and especially the older population knows old food recipes from and after WW2 and techniques for surviving the winter.

Hunting is also a valuable option with the plentyfull of venison to shoot.

Herbs are also an option for medicine, especially with the monastaries, which we got several of.

Austrians share a tribal affinity (kinda :D), which comes from our small village lifestyle. This lifestyle almost all states share, but Vienna. (because "Wien ist anders") So we look out for each other and are very helpfull. (latest example the floods last year) The states like Carinthia, Tyrol, Salzburg and Vorarlberg will most likly stay operational with the central goverment being set up somewhere in the alps.

Power and water shouldn't be a problem, because for one we most of the country gets their tap water from the alps and we got several big water powerplants.

So in the end I think Austria will be one of the best places to live in the apocalypse and won't end up like other countries. If nothing helps we still got Glock. :)

Are there any special physical landmarks where in your country? (big rivers, mountain ranges, islands)

Home country: Belgium

The Ardennes/nowhere, Belgium is a very densly populated country (Flanders the most, with the Walloon population mostly concentrated around the old industry centres). Flanders is an almost completely flat region with some low rolling hills and good farmland. It's also the region that has a population density of 547 inhabitants/km². The major cities are so close together (relatively speaking) that most people in Flanders (and Wallonia too) would be zombified or perish. The only people that might survive for a bit of time are the ones living in the Ardennes or for example the fort of Dinant (on a high cliff).

Survivability in terms of food would be next to impossible, almost all the fertile farmland is located in the north of the country, with the most zombies. Hunting is possible in the woodland areas in the south/south-east, but would not sustain a lot of people. The only places with some chance of survival are the numerous forts, but only if you have a very large amount of stockpiled food. Wood is scarce in Flanders, but abundant in Wallonia. Water would be hard to get to, maybe you have a chance to find some clean springs high up in the Ardennes, but almost all of the surface water is unfit for human consumption. Power would also fail quickly (55% of power comes from nuclear reactors, the other 45% from various other sources like windmills here and there).

We're fucked (fedora)

Well, here in the USA, we might have two different categories of people, Dickbags and Hiders. Dickbags enjoy looting other peoples houses, holding up survivors and possible killing them, and looting stores. Hiders on the other hand, avoid people, let people die, and shit like that.

my attempt on this thread, sorry, its bad.

Well, here in the USA, we might have two different categories of people, Dickbags and Hiders. Dickbags enjoy looting other peoples houses, holding up survivors and possible killing them, and looting stores. Hiders on the other hand, avoid people, let people die, and shit like that.

The US has very wide topographic regions. Austin just describe what the citizen of your state would do, or possibly do.

Your assumption on this is so unbelievably unrealistic it burns.

I don't know why people are convinced when disaster hits, and law starts to fade, everyone will just murder and kill others.

A lot of people are born bad or forced to be bad, good people aren't going to up and murder someone unless its in defense, they won't go steal from there neighbor because the law is out.

Heck from what Is see around Wisconsin people would break laws related to being a public annoyance, or being too loud, or just go places they can't.

Sure crime rate would go up but not crazily, more people would be concerned about Zombies

-snip-

Sure, it's unrealistic. I wasn't exactly trying, I figured I would just put something. I do actually see that I might have hinted at people killing each other. But, the problem is, I didn't say people would murder others like a motherfucker. You are DEAD wrong if you think that no murders will occur if an apocalypse happens.

I've always thought Australia would be well suited to surviving the zombie apocalypse. Sure, the urban areas of the country (Eastern coast) wouldn't stand much of a chance, but for us living in rural South Australia... well... I really can't see zombie hordes successfully travelling the vast distances. Oh, and open field combat against zombies is obviously far safer and more effective if the military were to intervene. 

There are the three questions, which have to be answered:

Well, yes - we're totally screwed. Surrounded by 9 different countrys, 16 capitols with about 500k to 1mil ppl, mostly flat land with some rivers but no extra urban places. An advantage may be the good infrastructure and the accessibility to the north sea.

I think most ppl will spread to the east/south and try to leave germany. Austria and Swiss for sure, maybe some will try England.

Climate is our big advantage - you're able to grow plants the whole year - but anything else is worse :)

No bad germans! Stay in your coubtry leave us alone! :(

i like austrians, two of my best friends are female twins from Hirschbach/Freistadt. Also my sister lives in Basel, Swiss. So i know that you ppl are more nationalistic than us germans. i wish i could be so too, but we raised without "nationality". actually i'm living here with ppl from 136 different countrys, and nobody cares about citizenship. we are open-mindet :)

too bad that most of ppls knowledge about germany stuck at ww2. but i will tell you a secret nobody really understands, true story, good stuff for wikileaks - germany was the first country taken by hitler because he was no native german.

No bad germans! Stay in your coubtry leave us alone! :(

i like austrians, two of my best friends are female twins from Hirschbach/Freistadt. Also my sister lives in Basel, Swiss. So i know that you ppl are more nationalistic than us germans. i wish i could be so too, but we raised without "nationality". actually i'm living here with ppl from 136 different countrys, and nobody cares about citizenship. we are open-mindet :)

too bad that most of ppls knowledge about germany stuck at ww2. but i will tell you a secret nobody really understands, true story, good stuff for wikileaks - germany was the first country taken by hitler because he was no native german.

No, we don't hate you germans, at least not the bavarians.

We just don't like how you guys in the very north talk and sometimes are stuck up. Some just don't integrate at all in Austria.

PS My first comment was just about you guys fleeing to Austria in case of a Zombie apocalypse. Sorry if I sounded right wing. :)

I live on a native reservation on the North coast of the U.S. It's really hospitable and nature-y here and you should be very surprised if you can't get something to grow here or find some animals to kill and eat, supposing you have the requisite ability or will to learn how to do either. On top of that though, people go out and hunt , fish, and cut wood all the time, and otherwise live pretty sustainably here in a poor, somewhat diverse-ish, small town of about 779. I think my family and friends and neighbors would do alright if all that goes down, as long as no big drama bombs happen. Chances are slim for that, though.

We're a long, windy, crumbly coastal road to the nearest proper--I'm using the term very loosely--city going north, which has about 7,000 people in and is most of an hour or so away from my neighborhood when going just above the speed limit, and about 30 or so minutes to the nearest town other than the one I'm just outside of. Lots of trees and plants and animals and fish and birds and crawlies and stuff, i.e; food.

Spoiler
A quick little scan can through those links will tell you most of what I said in a much more approachable way and with more, better information. Might be a little too much for what you really care about though, so take what I typed up there instead.
Offtopic
also even though it says no open lesbians live here there actually are a few i just thought i'd clarify that before someone brought that up saying oh no you don't have any lesbians where you live but no you are wrong there are

UK me.

My solution would be to somehow get to Windsor castle and lock myself up there. It combines state of the art security systems with medieval architecture so its probably the most secure place on Earth from a Zombie attack. It also has tons of antique medieval weaponry just lying about and I'm fairly sure that there would be some crack SAS team nearby protecting the monarchy  so provided I got there and I was allowed to stay I think I'd be alright.

The rest of the UK would be pretty fucked I think. 60 million people crammed into a small Island would probably mean a siege culture starting very quickly as in people just holding up in tenement blocks or castles or cottages - what have you. You could conceivably use water as a defense but then Zombies just walk along the bottom so you'd get soggy zombies which just heightens the "eeewww" factor. Cannibalism would be rife for awhile but those clever enough to store food and those canny enough to have hydroponics would probably be ok.

We just don't like how you guys in the very north talk and sometimes are stuck up. Some just don't integrate at all in Austria.

That's weird. People from northern Germany are usually rather chill.

Only thing most germans dislike about Austria is the accent/dialect.

South Africa!!!

Country is the size of Germany and France combined, with Holland smooshed in there also. We have 52 million citizens and around about 8 million illegal occupants. The climate and terrain varies greatly, from east to west and north to south. We have large open grasslands where zombies would be visible for km's, mountain ridges and lonely mountains scattered throughout. Few permanent rivers and a few large deserts like the Kalahari and Karoo that is barely inhabited. The coast has villages and cities all along it, but only a few proper deep-water harbours capable of handling military vessels or supply tankers. These places are all usually within spitting distance from the military.

The eastern half of the country is very populated with villages scattered all over the place, the ideal place for massive zombie hordes to arise and migrate through. It is also somewhat harder to survive in the wild in the east due to poisonous plants and lack of permanent water sources.

The western half has not even a quarter of the population density. It is very self sustaining though, with most farms and ranches being up to a few hundred km away from proper civilization. Most farms have multiple windpumps and solar pumps. The electrical infrastructure does not supply most of the rural west, thus most farms (almost all inhabited farms) rely on their own solar and wind generation for power. The harsh climate and unforgiving landscape will prove difficult for zombies to traverse. High fences to keep wildlife in will eventually deteriorate and release large numbers of migratory animals like springboks.

The west is also alot better armed than most of the more urban aread, since hunting is quite routing.

Verdict: East is fucked, cities are fucked, Western Desert is a prime candidate for survival.

Russia here.

Considering how cold it sometimes gets here during winter (Ain't no normal human would be able to live through winter here without the heat sources), I'd guess it's one of the safest countries to live in during zombocalypse, but also one of the hardest to survive in.

You would have to keep yourself warm half of the time, and find shelters to avoid sleeping out in the open, because being in the open in -25 - 30C isn't games for you. Fully clothed I could only manage to stay for about 30minutes to an hour outside before I start shaking uncontrolled and trying to find any place to keep myself warm. So I would have to resort to a lot of matches and other ways to start a fire if I want to survive decently.

During the summer, however (considering zombies didn't die out after winter) it's mainly the same as in other countries - temperature goes up to +30 and higher, pretty normal climate to live through somewhere in countryside with your own garden. 

So, it all can be boiled down to this : Winter would definitely be the safest time of the year to go out in big cities for loot, considering that due to prolonged cold exposure zombies would move very slow, if at all, while at summer you'd much rather hide out in countryside, outside of the high packed areas.

That's weird. People from northern Germany are usually rather chill.

Only thing most germans dislike about Austria is the accent/dialect.

We don't like how you guys are so serious about everything.

We don't like how you guys are so serious about everything.

such serious are most bavarian ppl and folks living near to austria. if you go up further to the north, they become very relaxed.

Strangly we say Austria and Bavaria are more relaxed than the north.

With the north we don't mean very northern germany, but Frankfurt, Berlin, etc.