Weapons In Your Household?!

uberevan

.22 Rifles x 2-  Pistol(.22s aren't very powerful and would only be truly effective at relatively close range)

Actually I think you are wrong with that thinking. Yes its not very powerful but any aimed shot is going to penetrate flesh and its not like zombies are going to be wearing body armour or anything so a headshot with a .22 should do the job. If you have any baby bottles and sellotape in your house you could make a very effective silencer especially if you are using subsonic ammo to prevent the bullet breaking the sound barrier. If you did that you would have an almost ideal anti-zombie weapon in that its a gun  and it wouldn't attract every zombie in the neighbourhood every time you fired it. The only annoyance would be using it indoors as rifles are quite bulky but a .22 rifle is usually built like a kids popgun and has very little recoil so you could probably do something imaginative with the stock  to mitigate this.

Yeah but I meant anywhere on the body at close range.

A headshot at any distance would probably work though, and I also was trying to point out it is closer to the pistol than the shotgun

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.22 Rifles x 2-  Pistol(.22s aren't very powerful and would only be truly effective at relatively close range)

Actually I think you are wrong with that thinking. Yes its not very powerful but any aimed shot is going to penetrate flesh and its not like zombies are going to be wearing body armour or anything so a headshot with a .22 should do the job. If you have any baby bottles and sellotape in your house you could make a very effective silencer especially if you are using subsonic ammo to prevent the bullet breaking the sound barrier. If you did that you would have an almost ideal anti-zombie weapon in that its a gun  and it wouldn't attract every zombie in the neighbourhood every time you fired it. The only annoyance would be using it indoors as rifles are quite bulky but a .22 rifle is usually built like a kids popgun and has very little recoil so you could probably do something imaginative with the stock  to mitigate this.

Yeah but I meant anywhere on the body at close range.

A headshot at any distance would probably work though, and I also was trying to point out it is closer to the pistol than the shotgun

Yeah but shooting anywhere but the head on a zombie is counter-productive anyway. Shooting with a powerful gun is only going to possibly make them take a step back or fall over buying you a second at most.

Other considerations for the .22 are that the ammo is light and plentiful and almost all self-made ammo kits fit the .22 making it incredibly practical. I myself wouldn't have a shotgun because of the noise problem in that every time you fire you would be attracting more zombies to your position which makes the benefit of having a gun counter-productive therefore meaning you would have to fire more shells to get rid of the ones you've attracted then they overwhelm you when you have to reload. Then there's the spray of gore and meat you'd get when you blast one at close-range which would probably lead to cross-infection. You wouldn't get that with a .22 or you'd get very little (possibly a little more when using a sub-sonic round).

Got some nice solid frying pans, a teaball bat, shovels/rakes/mattock and a hew dozen housebricks all within easy reach. I've often wondered how well the extendable shaft of our ducted vacuum cleaner would fair when used to crack a few skulls. Though the metal piping is thin, when retracted it's got a nice amount of heft to it.

Not to mention all the kitchen/steak knives, booze, golfclubs and assorted bits and pieces found around the place.

Metal Baseball Bat (x1)

Kinfe (x20 - 30ish)

Frying Pan (x7)

Acoustic Guitar (x1)

Screwdriver (x2)

Cutlery (xAlot)

Fist (x2)

And thats about it really, I live in Canada so guns aren't everywhere... other than that I am prevehbally "set".

well typical household items (pans, cutlery etc...)

I have:

a telescope baton or what it's called in english

multiple knive (swiss army and military)

golf clubs

axe and hatchet

gardening equipment (shovels, spade and some hoes heh)

two guns (and by guns I'm referring to my biceps :P )

charme

i'm sure there is a lot more to find to use as a weapon though

I'm curious to know what could work if you had to use something.  Like if you were pinned to a wall and you got a TV remote and started whacking someone's head with it.  It's likely it wouldn't be better than a fist but you could avoid breaking your bones.

This list will include things that aren't included in the game, and is culled for brevity and function.

Aluminum baseball bat

Damascus steel, combat ready sword (I'm an enthusiast)

Axe

Kitchen knives

Spear (Broad-head)

Crossbow (I used to hunt, way back when.)

A reasonably well stocked liquor cabinet and plenty of fabrics to use for the obvious weaponized purpose.

Hammer

Crowbar

Drywall Hammer

Sledgehammer

Concrete wrecking bar (60 inches of industrial quality steel, with a chisel face that I could use to chisel face.) 

And a whole host of other items that in a pinch could be modified, or assembled in such a way as to be dangerous. 

In the zombie apocalypse, any survivor group should have at least one construction guy who was half-nuts even before the ZA.

Sticks of homemade explosives.

The hell are you doing with that?

Made a sparkler bomb (little bit more powerful than a half stick of dynamite) and decided it wasn't big enough. So, I made a bunch of sparkler bombs, then took three at a time and duct taped them together. Haven't gotten around to blowing all of them up, plus I live next to a police station, so I have to go to the outskirts of town to use them. 

I have a baseball bat (Aluminum), a Katina, Scimitar, Hatchet, Screw Driver (Can work close up with zombies), Knives (Obviously). I have a Tri-Blade throwing knife, and... I believe that's about it. I had 2 stainless steal swords, one a long sword, the other a short, but I do not know where I put them. I also have a pistol, though it's not mine, and I could care less to find out what type it is. (Step Fathers)

Do you guys have actual real swords or $100 knock offs you get at the flea market that would shatter into a billion pieces if they hit anything harder than a wet sponge?

My scimitar is a showcase one. The handle is made of glass, and is very decorated. My three swords however, are real. I use to sword fight with my cousin until i got the blade suck in his bone, oh his hand. We stopped after that. After all the beatings the sword haven't dulled a bit.

You guys do realize almost anything works as a weapon right?  Imagine taking out a microwave and dropping it on a horde lol.

But like lamps and picture frames and instruments and doorknobs and walking sticks (Commas are for the weak!) all would work in a pinch.  Even a candle or water bottle (Thermos kind) could be effective in a tense moment. Especially for throwing.

USE YOUR IMAGINATIONS!

BUILD WEAPONS OUT OF  YOUR HOUSE!

Do you guys have actual real swords or $100 knock offs you get at the flea market that would shatter into a billion pieces if they hit anything harder than a wet sponge?

My scimitar is a showcase one. The handle is made of glass, and is very decorated. My three swords however, are real. I use to sword fight with my cousin until i got the blade suck in his bone, oh his hand. We stopped after that. After all the beatings the sword haven't dulled a bit.

Eh... what? O_o

I seriously doubt they havent dulled a bit. I used to sword fight my brother with real Wilkinson Sword cavalry swords from 20 or 19th century... those swords are completely fucked now and arent worth anything because of the damage we done. Real Wilkinson Swords not some mach 3 play things that most people have

Swords are such a want in this game... But seriously, in a small Kansas town you might find like 2, and they would both most likely suck

I'm more of an improvised weapon/build your own weapon out of wood, rubber bands, nails, and other random crap kind of guy

• 4 weeks later...

Late Post Beware

I have 3 baseball bats, one metal with the wooden cork in it. And to wooded bats one a few inches longer than the other. I have a 30-30 Winchester. Over 60 different types of blades including 2 prop katanas and a real Katana that was given to me as a gift from my grandfather(had it appraised at $2100-7000. ). I also have a shit ton of metal paint cans and some rope lol.

Where to begin...

• An unfinished broadsword make out of plate steel
  • A homemade polearm (with a 10 foot extension pole for stabbing zombies from above a wall)
  • Some knifes
  • 2 throwing knifes
  • A crapload of scrap metal (poles, bedframes, etc)
  • An axe and a hatchet
  • A dufflebag of drywall trowels, knifes, etc.
  • Large (old) stereo speakers (What? they can be thrown!)
  • A speargun (without the cord though, but can still stab (Ok, now I'm stretching...)

No guns though, being as I live in Canada, but still a place worth looting. :D